Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 RT-Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pwilbarger View Post
    It was supposed to be sunny and near 70* today but I never saw the sun.

Spyder Phyl
    2014 RT-Ltd, Cognac and Timeless Black 2010 RT-622 trailer.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh crap! Six more weeks of winter.

Spyder Garage

Ordered, received and installed the Kotts SS front grills from Spyderpops last week. That's about it until I get to Spyderfest and more farkles installed. Here's my list: TricLED front fender lighting and mirror turn signal lights, Custom Dynamics HMT with dual converter and Spyderpops lighted bumpskid. I also would like to get a laser alignment.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 Cognac RT-LTD, SE6, ACE 1330

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I did a test fit of my Spyder covers with the new stock height, wide F4 windshield today. The BRP travel cover (that actually came with my 2010 RT-S) fit okay with the shield in the full up position. I do need to get some bungees for the side tie owns that won't work with floorboards. The light nylon Tour King cover I bought last July required that the shield be lowered all the way down for the elastics to go over the mirrors. I'll keep both.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428885154.365061.jpg

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I did a test fit of my Spyder covers with the new stock height, wide F4 windshield today. The BRP travel cover (that actually came with my 2010 RT-S) fit okay with the shield in the full up position. I do need to get some bungees for the side tie owns that won't work with floorboards. The light nylon Tour King cover I bought last July required that the shield be lowered all the way down for the elastics to go over the mirrors. I'll keep both.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428885154.365061.jpg

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I also installed the triple dash pouch I bought a couple years ago and never installed on my 2010. The Velcro seemed to stick pretty well to the dash at first but coming home on the interstate yesterday the pouches started to come loose. I stuck the Velcro back down but took the pouches off for today's ride to lunch. I will try again but will prolly need to find a way to secure the Velcro better. It's a common problem with these Big Bike pouches. I may email them. Seems to me more Velcro is needed in the front and sides of the pouches. Along with better glue.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-Ltd

Cold, gray, windy day but this was the day my wife decided to take her inaugural ryde with me on the 2014 RT-Ltd. she needed to get a little time in the saddle since we're leaving for Spyderfest next. The ryde was short but all systems are go for our departure at this time. Made reservations for the first two nights on the road. Reservations in Springfield at the Hampton Inn were made months ago. I just have the final route planning and loading gear we'll need into the trailer. Looks like cold start on Sunday.

Spyder Phyl
    Last edited by pwilbarger; 05-24-2015 at 01:35 PM.
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-Ltd

It's been awhile since my last post about my adventures with my new Ltd. Spyderfest has come and gone and we successfully made the the trek there for a couple of days and back home under bright, sunny skies. It was a great trip even though we were only there for a couple of days and my back decided to go into spasms on the way there. I got most of the lighting added by TricLED but opted not to add the lighted bumpskid. The HMT will also be added later but I did get a laser alignment done by Lamont. We did get in a nice ride in the Mark Twain National Forest on Thursday and had several great meals at Re Rico , Lambert's and other places. I'm sorry we did not participate in any of the after parties at the hotels but by late afternoon my back was pretty much done in plus we needed to be back on the road for home Friday morning. Looking forward to next year.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-Ltd

Hopnel Dash Pouch Update:
    Since returning from Spyderfest I messaged Big Bike Parts concerning the problem with the triple dash pouch Velcro that doesn't stick to the dash. They replied that they have made some improvements and if I would send a proof of purchase they would send their remedy. I did this and even though it was a couple years old they sent me a package of new Velcro pieces. They don't seem to match the the pieces on the pouch but have to see if this will resolve the "flying pouch" situation.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-Ltd

I ordered a Utopia backrest with the easy-out option the other day. I decided at Spyderfest against a new Ultimate seat for now. The gas filler door would be nice but the stock seat with the Airhawk pad for long trips will be okay for now. Backrest will be made and shipped on June 1 according to Bob via email. I've had a Utopia rests on all my Gold Wings and now both my Spyders. Love the adjustability and won't ride (alone) without one.

Spyder Phyl
    Last edited by pwilbarger; 05-30-2015 at 08:45 AM.
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Get a bumpskid .................. lighted or not................................you will not regret it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But the lighted ones have a major "coolness" factor...

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Get a bumpskid .................. lighted or not................................you will not regret it.

Cruzr Joe
    I had one on my 2010 and liked it. I'm not sure it fits the same on the '14. I've heard there is a gap that collects debris.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But the lighted ones have a major "coolness" factor...

My wife saw the lighted one at Spyderfest but didn't care for the look. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432669956.652266.jpg

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Well my Utopia driver backrest arrived on Monday but a virus has been kicking my butt all week so I have not even opened the box. Might at least look at today but have no desire to be out in the garbage even in this great weather even if I had the energy..

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433631132.297055.jpg
    Well looks like everything was in the box from Utopia. Now hope I feel well enough to get it installed this week.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Loved reading about your mods, and everything else! That is so neat you have been able to do so much so far with yours. Mine is just a regular RT (and Spyder's here are really very available, I am in Mexico) and it doesn't have the big fog lights, I am planning on that upgrade, then the lighted skid plate hopefully, and the belt protector because I live on a dirt road, and there are many more things I want to get, like the backrest too. I can't go see anything in person, but hopefully by reading here I won't make any mistakes! Congratulations!

Laura

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-Ltd

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433969729.678341.jpg

I spent a few hours and a gallon of sweat to get the Utopia backrest installed today. On to the next. Prolly a stronger shock for the seat since the backrest added weight.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I took my first ryde today with the new Utopia backrest and absolutely hated it! The angle was all wrong and pushed me forward too close to the bars, very uncomfortable. I was ready to call Bob and return it! But a cooler head prevailed and I investigated more when I got home. The solution turned out to be pretty simple. The adjustment set screw jam nut was located below the bracket and didn't allow full angle adjustment. I moved the nut to above the bracket and bingo now there is full angle adjustment. Now the angle is more leaned back and natural and the backrest is as comfortable as all my previous Utopias.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434049694.224804.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434049706.530446.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434049718.092642.jpg

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Today I stopped into Autozone and picked up the new 40# seat lift support that I had ordered last week. I had seen a Facebook post by Dan McNally about replacing this stock 20# strut with the 40#er so if you have the seat loaded up with a bag, Airhawk pad and backrest you can refuel without it slamming shut when put the gas cap on the seat. Very annoying and you don't have to spend $1000 on a seat with a fuel door. It's less the $25 at Autozone and takes 10 minutes. Works like a charm.

I also reinstalled the Hopnel triple dash pouch by Big Bike Parts. The original Velcro would not stay stuck so I emailed them about this well known problem and was told they had made some improvements and they sent me the "new and improved" Velcro. Might get to test that tomorrow.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Since we are heading into summer I installed my BRP vented windshield yesterday. Now it just has to warm up and stop raining. Also I hadn't realized the difference between this one and the wide F4 I removed. Quite a bit smaller.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have the CB and wired headsets on my 2014 RT-Ltd. I no longer ride with my GW chapter (defunct) and I'm thinking of switching over to the Uclear Bluetooth system but still want to use the radio for music and the handle bar controls. Can I just disconnect the CB from the radio/comm system and plug the BRP/ Sena Bluetooth interface? Will the Uclear headsets work with the BRP interface? I don't really intend on communicating with other riders, just with my wife when she is along (not very often). I also have iPod that I plug in and listen to tunes sometimes. And I don't really care to take phone calls while riding.
    TIA

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I found the answer on Facebook. Motorcycle Dave a sponsor here sells the Sena SM10 dongle with a cable that plugs into the radio where entertainment harness connects. The cable is actually made by Finless Bob and he has a video on YouTube showing the exact thing I'm thinking of doing. . I think unplugging the entertainment harness will disable the wired headsets and intercom along with the CB. I don't know if it affects the operation of the radio handle bar controls. I think I'm going to order the Uclear HBC100 unit to install in a spare helmet I have to see if I like the Bluetooth system. It's on sale directly from Uclear for $89.95 through Sunday.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-Ltd

This showed up in the mail today. It was charged right out of the box and took about 15 minutes to pair it to my iPhone, iPod and my GPS. I bought it on sale direct from Uclear for $89.95+shipping. Gonna try it on a spare HJC helmet I have to see how well it works without a boom mic and if I even like using Bluetooth. So far pretty easy to use. We'll see if that trend continues after it's installed.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436389456.708466.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436389471.519747.jpg

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pwilbarger View Post
    This showed up in the mail today. It was charged right out of the box and took about 15 minutes to pair it to my iPhone, iPod and my GPS. I bought it on sale direct from Uclear for $89.95+shipping. Gonna try it on a spare HJC helmet I have to see how well it works without a boom mic and if I even like using Bluetooth. So far pretty easy to use. We'll see if that trend continues after it's installed.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436389456.708466.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436389471.519747.jpg

Spyder Phyl
    You can plug the dongle into the ent harness where the CB plugs in. You'll need the ent harness if you ever want to add XM receiver.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-Ltd

I'm trying it without buying the dongle. If everything is good I'll buy the dongle with the cable from Motorcycle Dave and HBC200 units for our Nolan helmets. See my post above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pwilbarger; 07-09-2015 at 02:45 PM.
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac