Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default First Motorcycle......ever!

This machine was titled as the very first motorcycle ever. And if that is true, someone made an argument some time back that the Spyder is not a motorcycle because motorcycles mean two wheels. From the looks of this they had it right, then lost it for a while, then got it right again! And motorcycles by the pure, original definition of the word means a reverse trike with at least three wheels.
    The-Worlds-First-Motorcycle.jpg

Spyder Garage

I like it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

It looks to me like the small wheel in front of the rear wheel must have been the brake. The rear lever was either the accelerator or brake or both. Steering probably was accomplished by using either front wheel hand brake in front of the seat. So, could we speculate that this braking system could have been an early form of anti-lock brakes? Also, looking at the balance of the machine I would think front tipping would have been a big possibility based upon engine location and where the rider set. Pretty neat for it's time, though. Wondering what the item within the rear tire spokes is. Maybe an early balancing system. The chain and sprocket are plainly seen. And, if you look the chain even has a tensioner on it (Hey, BRP?)
    Last edited by Roadster Renovations; 10-11-2014 at 09:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    It looks to me like the small wheel in front of the rear wheel must have been the brake. The rear lever was either the accelerator or brake or both. Steering probably was accomplished by using either front wheel hand brake in front of the seat. So, could we speculate that this braking system could have been an early form of anti-lock brakes? Also, looking at the balance of the machine I would think front tipping would have been a big possibility based upon engine location and where the rider set. Pretty neat for it's time, though. Wondering what the item within the rear tire spokes is. Maybe an early balancing system. The chain and sprocket are plainly seen. And, if you look the chain even has a tensioner on it (Hey, BRP?)
    Very interesting to be sure. I agree that 'Front Tipping' appears to be very possible. I think the 2 levers up front are skid steer axle brakes as it doesn't appear that there is any articulation components on the front axles. And even if there were, it does not appear to be much clearance to turn them.

The little wheel near the rear wheel is a mystery. It would not make sense to be a brake of any kind as it is too small. Nor does it appear to have any mechanical linkage to engage it. It's just sitting there. If it were a parking brake, why the wheel? I am wondering if it might be an early attempt at VSS! If the trike did start to tip forward, that wheel would drop down. But then I'm not sure what it could do to correct the problem.

The smaller lever beside/behind the rider is also a bit of a mystery. It would appear that a foot throttle would be best suited to this 'Motorcycle'. If the lever were a throttle, and if the other 2 levers are indeed intended for steering. Having to move your hand from the right lever to that other lever for throttle would not be in your best interests.

The rear wheel looks like it might have a drum brake assembly. Maybe that smaller lever would work that brake.

Could the large disk on the rear drive wheel act as a flywheel? It could also be a very large disk brake assembly since it is outboard of the spokes and wheel. I don't see a caliper assembly but it could be hiding behind other parts. The smaller lever might work that brake.

One thing is for sure. The rider is going to end up with a stripe up his back no matter what!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-11-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Digging deeper

I pulled this from Wikipedia. Explains a little more of it's operation.

The first commercial design for a self-propelled bicycle was a three-wheel design called the Butler Petrol Cycle, conceived of and built by Edward Butler in England in 1884.[5] He exhibited his plans for the vehicle at the Stanley Cycle Show in London in 1884, two years earlier than Karl Benz invented his first automobile who is generally recognized as the inventor of the modern automobile. Butler's vehicle was also the first design to be shown at the 1885 International Inventions Exhibition in London.
    The vehicle was built by the Merryweather Fire Engine company in Greenwich, in 1888.[6] the Butler Petrol Cycle (first recorded use of the term)[6] It was a three-wheeled vehicle, with the rear wheel directly driven by a 5/8hp (466W) 600 cc (40 in3; 2¼×5-inch {57×127-mm})[6] flat twin four stroke engine (with magneto ignition replaced by coil and battery),[6]equipped with rotary valves and a float-fed carburettor (five years before Maybach),[6] and Ackermann steering,[7] all of which were state of the art at the time. Starting was by compressed air.[6] The engine was liquid-cooled, with a radiator over the rear driving wheel. Speed was controlled by means of a throttle valve lever. No braking system was fitted; the vehicle was stopped by raising and lowering the rear driving wheel using a foot-operated lever; the weight of the machine was then borne by two small castor wheels. The driver was seated between the front wheels.[6] It wasn't, however, a commercial success, as Butler failed to find sufficient financial backing.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

to say the least. Motorcycle meant little back then. Which cycle..uni..bi..tri..they could and were all motorized. The most interesting part to me is they were not fitted with brakes... no bumpers either.. not complaing we would not be here if it had not been for thise early machines and the men that created them...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

Ahead of it's time.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.