Spyder Garage

Smile Power to BRP Bluetooth Dongle

Here is this evening's best moronic question...Does the Bluetooth Dongle that has been installed by a Can Am dealer get its power from the bike or must one recharge it periodically? Polite comments will be received with gratitude.

I had the OEM antenna replaced by the dealer with a Custom Dynamics shorty. Now the NOAA weather reception is unacceptable and the AM remains unacceptable, but the FM works fine. Any suggestions other than "live with it" ?

BTW, the Sirius/XM sound quality is quite good, IMHO.

Thanks to all.
    2016 Freewheeler

2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White (SOLD)

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

The bluerooth dongle gets its power from the bike. Make sure you turn it off when done for the day else you will hate it. The battery dies and it will not work until you ride for about 30 min to charge it back up.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Anybody has the dongle on a Spyder (or other bike) that was stored for the winter.

What did you do, did you charge it periodically thru the storage period?
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Reconnect the power to the trunk outlet and let it stay powered up all the time. No more worries.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default dongle power

Yes I have it and love it. It is charged from the bike and as posted once you get in the habit of turning it off after riding it will stay charged.If I do forget to turn it off and it goes dead I just charge it with the outlet charger. As far as winter storage I plan on removing it from the bike and keeping it indoors where it is warm and charging it a few times though winter as needed. Hope this helps

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Reconnect the power to the trunk outlet and let it stay powered up all the time. No more worries.
    Until you have battery issues because the charge is constantly draining. Not recommended.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kinggeek View Post
    Until you have battery issues because the charge is constantly draining. Not recommended.

Nope. The drain is so small as to be insignificant. I have let the bike sit better than 3 weeks (not recommended with or without the bluetooth dongle connected) and the battery did not go dead. Usually if I will not ride for a week or more its on the trickle charger. My helmet also charges off the bike when its in the frunk between rides. You are talking about a few miliamps draw from an 80AH battery. Far less than the bikes own CPU uses and in line with the security systems many folks install. Its just not a concern.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Nope. The drain is so small as to be insignificant. I have let the bike sit better than 3 weeks (not recommended with or without the bluetooth dongle connected) and the battery did not go dead. Usually if I will not ride for a week or more its on the trickle charger. My helmet also charges off the bike when its in the frunk between rides. You are talking about a few miliamps draw from an 80AH battery. Far less than the bikes own CPU uses and in line with the security systems many folks install. Its just not a concern.
    Then you are one of the lucky ones my 2011 Spyder Rts had three replacement batteries in 3 years and i did not have anything plugged in. Just be careful about recommending something the you have done. The vast majority of people peobably do not have a simular experience.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kinggeek View Post
    Then you are one of the lucky ones my 2011 Spyder Rts had three replacement batteries in 3 years and i did not have anything plugged in. Just be careful about recommending something the you have done. The vast majority of people peobably do not have a similar experience.
    You either had a run of bad batteries or some load draining the battery that should not have been. The early BRP radios were know to be bad about that. If the bike will sit for a few weeks without a trickle charger, adding the bluetooth module will not change that appreciably. Its a VERY small load. Smaller than other loads you cannot get rid of. The bike really should be on a trickle charger any time its going to sit for more than a week.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame