GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default 14k service cost

I just got my Smurfette (a 2010 RT/AC SE5) back from her 9k service, an ECM update, plus they found the source of a couple of codes, and cleared them. The bill was less than 250, so I was good with that. Her next service at 14k won't happen before next year simply because I am in New England, and winter will be rearing its ugly head and road salt in the next six weeks or so. My question is: What work is performed during the 14k, and about how much should I expect to pay? Was wondering If I should add a few farkles while it's there After all, Christmas will be here before you know it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
    I just got my Smurfette (a 2010 RT/AC SE5) back from her 9k service, an ECM update, plus they found the source of a couple of codes, and cleared them. The bill was less than 250, so I was good with that. Her next service at 14k won't happen before next year simply because I am in New England, and winter will be rearing its ugly head and road salt in the next six weeks or so. My question is: What work is performed during the 14k, and about how much should I expect to pay? Was wondering If I should add a few farkles while it's there After all, Christmas will be here before you know it!
    I've heard it's an expensive one although I have not researched it myself. That is the next one for me as well, but I'm not worried - I have the maintenance plan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good question! It's one that has provoked lots of conversations in here in rhe recent past...
    You are SUPPOSED to have the valves checked at 14,000 miles..
    AkSpyderman has told us all that it costs over $600, for that chore alone!
    Folks have been asked if their 998s ever needed to have the valves actually adjusted at this low mileage. I don't recall anyone ever saying that it needed to be done.
    It's your call, but from what has been said in here; it could easily go until 25,000 miles or so...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

One of the reasons I dropped the '12 is that i called a dealer and the 14k service with valve check/adjust as needed was quoted at just over 1k. I'm sure that varies quite a bit as it was the same deal on my 2012 kawi concours, anywhere from 600 to 900 for the major service with valve depending on dealer i called.

Generally a high rev motorcycle engine shows the most adjustment need at the first service, but no experience with the rotax 4 stroke. All of my other rotax are two stroke. No valves
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Spyder Garage

My 14k was $1300.00.....including a new canister and some other things as i had him go over the entire bike. I'll get the list for you if you would like it...
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

I just has my 14,000 mile service done. It was under $400. This included an oil change , wiring up a GPS , replacing some missing push pins, replacing a broken clip behind the mirror. There was a couple other minor things covered under warranty. I asked him about checking the valve adjustment. He sort of laughed and said to come back when it has 50,000 miles on, and we'll listen if it needs it then. This is a platinum dealer.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default VALVE ADJUST NOT NEEDED

Quote Originally Posted by scott16119 View Post
    I just has my 14,000 mile service done. It was under $400. This included an oil change , wiring up a GPS , replacing some missing push pins, replacing a broken clip behind the mirror. There was a couple other minor things covered under warranty. I asked him about checking the valve adjustment. He sort of laughed and said to come back when it has 50,000 miles on, and we'll listen if it needs it then. This is a platinum dealer.
    BRP moved the valve check/adjust to something like 25,000 miles and I have yet to hear of any valves on SL way out of adjustment when they used to check them at 14K the Rotax is a great engine

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Good question! It's one that has provoked lots of conversations in here in rhe recent past...
    You are SUPPOSED to have the valves checked at 14,000 miles..
    AkSpyderman has told us all that it costs over $600, for that chore alone!
    Folks have been asked if their 998s ever needed to have the valves actually adjusted at this low mileage. I don't recall anyone ever saying that it needed to be done.
    It's your call, but from what has been said in here; it could easily go until 25,000 miles or so...
    I did valves on my 2008 at 12,000 miles--cost about $800 extra.
    I did valves on my 2010 at 28,000 miles--cost about $800 extra.
    I do not plan on having the valves on my 2011 checked until about 50,000 miles or more.

In both cases, neither had to have actual valve adjustment. The mechanic failed to put a new gasket on the 2010 after the valve adjustment. The begin to leak and was brought back to the dealer for a re-do. That $800 was on them.

Valve adjustment service is a owner call. Have never heard that failure to perform the service was a cause for warranty issues. The new 1330's do not require valve adjustment service. Many of us think that valve adjustment on the 998's was a CYA thing.

If you are experiencing knocking etc.--then it may be worth having the service performed at recommended intervals.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I sometimes think that BRP (and other companies) puts useless maintenance items in the owner's manual just to help out the dealerships. I can't bring myself to ignore this stuff anyway so I just do it myself and keep good records for warrany purposes. I don't think I spent $1000 in maintenance the whole 10 years I owned it and I did every single thing, worthwhile or useless, on the whole list.