Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

it's a case by case situation. Have they ever ryden before..?? What if anything..?? etc...
    Can't see letting anyone ryde if you have to teach them. Let them out on the street even less. You could ryde with them (risky..) tough call...
    I trade or put on consignment...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    Would you be willing to purchase a motorcycle that you were unable to ride before handing over the money?

I personally would expect to get a test ride, and would expect to offer that if I were the seller. The question is how to best satisfy your need for security and liability issues while allowing the prospective buyer to verify the bykes running condition. If you have a large parking lot nearby that would normally be empty when you are showing the byke, maybe take them there to prove (along with motorcycle endorsement on license) that they can do the start/stop/turn, etc without issue before letting them get on the road. Then I would make sure that I was in possession of some ID and their vehicle and keys while they were on the trip.
    I purchased my first (used) Spyder by test driving it in a large empty parking lot while the owner watched. I rode for a while at various safe speeds, stops, turns, braking and backing. The owner was patient, answered any question and gave me some tips while I was test driving my first Spyder. I had been wanting a Spyder for a while and this was the one, so I wasn't going to do anything to damage it during the test ride.

We agreed on the deal, he drove the Spyder to my house since I had just got my M endorsement and I didn't own a helmet. We exchanged money and title, I gave him a ride home and picked up the remaining Spyder Accessries that he included in the sale . Now it's plenty of rides and smiles.
    Last edited by YIRYDE; 10-10-2014 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Grammar Correction
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The point is, if something about the meeting doesn't sit right in your stomach; put on the brakes!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i wouldn't buy without a test drive, i will go where you say, give you license copy or whatever but i want to make sure
    there are no problems. transmission, engine whatever i want to feel it run without clunking or rattling. i can understand if
    you don't have m/c license then no way are you going anywhere.

Spyder Garage

Nice Bob...Mayham
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The insurance guy, who stares back at me in the mirror; always thinks of the stuff that can go wrong...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I'VE GIVEN THIS DUE CONSIDERATION

...No way Jose'..............No really, this is a Spyder . Even if they drive up on a MTC. ,to me that's actually a bad thing. They are not the same , the person is MORE likely to crash it. IMHO if they want to be a Passenger NO Problem..... Some people will show up just to drive it around because they have never driven one and think it would be cool to try it out. . But a Driver ......Not until they own it ...................Unless they drive up on a Spyder ....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I tried that once

letting someone test ride a motorcycle I put up for sale...
    He gave me the keys , as I was at work In a foosball, pinball parlor..said wasn't what he was looking for.. I went outside to go home.. he had wrecked it...

can we say as the old song goes Once Bitten Twice Shy

story being ending.. you want it, you buy it.. I have never test ridden any motorcycle before I bought it..

scott
    Last edited by jScotD; 10-11-2014 at 08:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RydeOn View Post
    So when you are selling your Spyder, do you allow people to test ride?
    I'm a little leery of allowing anyone on my Spyder that I don't know (heck, I don't even let people I know ride), but wanted to get y'all (or is it all y'all) opinion.
    Easy solution - the Spyder seats two. Go with the person.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default as long as

they are the passenger ...... not me....

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default If I don't test it I don't buy it

I would never buy any vehicle without test riding or test driving it... ever... I guess it's the
    old school mechanic in me. When the person want to test it out he must leave his car or truck
    maybe even his wife with you... ALWAYS !!! look at his or her's drivers lic. before riding.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by RydeOn View Post
    So when you are selling your Spyder, do you allow people to test ride?
    I'm a little leery of allowing anyone on my Spyder that I don't know (heck, I don't even let people I know ride), but wanted to get y'all (or is it all y'all) opinion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's always the,
    "Great! Just give me your wallet, and we'll talk when you get back..." approach.

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Maybe I would take a prospective buyer for my Spyder as a passenger for a test ride but they aren't taking it for one even if I'm with them. I have never been asked to test ride a bike that I was selling and have never offered because I won't allow it. I always thought it was a given that test rides of bikes was not done. Have never had a problem selling a bike that way. If someone is bent on doing a test ride then they can buy somebody else's bike.
    I view cars differently but still go with them. Of course if I don't feel warm and fuzzy then it doesn't happen either.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

I recently sold my Goldwing after I let several people try it out. They all rode up on a cruiser or other large motorcycle and they all had a motorcycle endorsement on their driver's license. All but one guy was over 50. If someone had wrecked the motorcycle then my insurance would have paid for it. That is not a lot of risk. I couldn't expect someone to pay $10,000 for a motorcycle and not test drive it. I would never ever pay for a motorcycle - or Spyder for that matter - without riding it first.

A Spyder test drive is much more problematic, especially for motorcycle riders (as someone already mentioned). I know that when I test drove the Spyder RT, the salesman knew I was a Goldwing rider and insisted I ride it for 30 or 40 miles to get used to it. Actually, it took a couple of additional test rides before I finally decided the vehicle was safe and stable. I think 15 years of long distance touring on two wheels was what caused my problems. I am not sure what I would do if I decided to sell my RT-S and someone rode up on a Goldwing wanting to try it.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 10-11-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Assuming they are really there to buy, they'll have the cash with them. If they expect you to trust them with your Spyder, they have to trust you with their cash. I'd consider a short, simple agreement they sign that says if they damage the Spyder, they buy it at the full asking price. I'd also make sure your insurance covers you for whatever might happen, as it is your responsibility (at least in CA).

If they don't have the cash to purchase, they aren't real buyers, anyway. Make the policy clear before they come by.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    If they don't have the cash to purchase, they aren't real buyers, anyway. Make the policy clear before they come by.
    I don't agree, at least not if you mean they need to be carrying $10,000 in cash money. I would not do that. I would expect to make arrangements with them to get a cashier's check to them, and would expect a buyer to give me a cashier's check.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I don't agree, at least not if you mean they need to be carrying $10,000 in cash money. I would not do that. I would expect to make arrangements with them to get a cashier's check to them, and would expect a buyer to give me a cashier's check.
    We live in different places. Money orders and cashier's checks can be, and often are, forged. In LA, I've always done these kinds of transactions in cash.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Test ride

My rules are simpel. Cash in my hand, Helmet, license and riding gear. You brake it you just bought it. Works every time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

So how is it in the UK....if anyone is interested?
    First, obviously the prospective buyer needs to have a relevant licence.
    Then if the guy/gal insists on riding my bike they give me the full purchase price
    in cash in advance and I keep the vehicle documents until they return and decide
    to buy. That person must have all risk insurance cover to even think of getting on the bike!
    Reason?? In the UK it's an offence to allow anyone who is not insured to ride a bike on the highway.
    There have been many cases of people feigning an interest to buy arriving in a very expensive
    but stolen car, and riding off into the sunset having given you the keys to the stolen car as
    security.
    Never have I been asked for a test ride when selling a bike but I'm happy to take someone
    on the back and demonstrate what the bike can do.
    The Spyder falls into a different class. There are so few people who know how to ride one
    that a pillion ride is the only way they're going to sample the joys before buying.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Assuming they are really there to buy, they'll have the cash with them. If they expect you to trust them with your Spyder, they have to trust you with their cash. I'd consider a short, simple agreement they sign that says if they damage the Spyder, they buy it at the full asking price. I'd also make sure your insurance covers you for whatever might happen, as it is your responsibility (at least in CA).

I agree. That's exactly how I sold my bikes/trikes.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Every time I bought used whether car, truck, boat and bike, I also bought their problems. Granted! When I bought my 2008 GS, I had steering problems as many here also had and BRP took care of that problem. I still have the 2008 and it runs great and every time I go to the dealer for Anti-Corrosive spray or want a BUDS test and printout, they want me to trade it for a new one. I was told there is a high demand for the older GS/RS models and knowing I'm an easy sell, I now can only laugh at the offer I'm given. If I buy another one it will be from a dealer and not from a private sale and my '08 is already spoken for by a very close friend, who knows how well I take care of my vehicles. She often reminds me 8 years later and counting of the sports car I sold, while she was visiting her family in another state for a few weeks.
    Happy Spyder Owner

2008 SM5, Trunk Liner, 2" Block Riser, ESI 3" Risers, Evoluzione Cycle o2 Sensor Mod, Corbin Seat and Large Oval Backrest, Madstad RoboBrackets and 24" Clear Windshield, Chrome Clear Catseye LED Tail/Brake/License Plate Light, Brake Strobe, Kuryakyn Grips, Kewlmetals Performance Air kit, Custom Dynamic Orange LED's, Spyder 1 Attitude Performance Exhaust RSS-18-B, Day Runners, Day Pucks, Rivco Highway Pegs, ESI Mirror Extensions, Rivco Floorboards.

Spyder Garage

From my perspective, I didn't care much whether the test rider or the insurance company paid for the bike in case of an accident. I don't know what all the worry is about. I spend hundreds of dollars a year so I don't have to worry about wrecking my bike. Before someone rode off my my Wing, they had to show me they had riding skills (by riding a motorcycle to my house) and a valid motorcycle endorsement on their driver's license. That is what it takes to verify I am covered in case of an accident.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yup...

This video about sums it up and as most of us know the Spyder is riden NOTHING like a motorcycle, if you have a very fluent bike ride wanna try your spyder there could be a disaster!

And it comes down too it this is your bike , your responsibility

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

I once had a guy crash a 4 wheeler i was selling and threaten to sue me, was nothing but a headache ever since. I now trade in everything and avoid the hassle