Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Proper Oil Level Verification Procedure on 1330-engined Spyders

Hi everyone,
    There have been some questions on the right way for checking your oil on the 1330 engine. Below is the correct procedure:

Given the oil system design of the 1330 engine, oil level verification must be done under specific conditions which can influence the quantity of measurable oil in the engine.

These conditions are:

• Engine oil temperature must be between 80°C and 95°C (176°F and 203°F) which is considered as being the engine's normal operating temperature. Don't mistake coolant temperature for engine oil temperature! Coolant will heat up faster than the engine oil.
    • Engine oil temperature is crucial since its volume changes based on temperature; that's enough to affect the measurable level.
    • Engine must idle 10 minutes. The 1330 engine is a dry sump design with 3 scavenge pumps and 1 pressure pump, 10 minutes of idle time allows the scavenge pumps to stabilize the quantity of oil returned.

Complete oil level verification procedure:

1. Bring engine to operating temperature.
    2. Ensure vehicle is on a level surface.
    3. Allow engine to idle for 10 minutes.
    4. Stop the engine.
    5. Within 2 minutes of stopping the engine:
      1. Remove and wipe the dipstick clean.
      2. Insert dipstick and completely screw it in.
      3. Remove dipstick and read oil level on dipstick.

6. Adjust level as necessary without overfilling.

Tips and Tricks:

Here are 2 ways the crucial criteria can be reached:

• An engine started cold (20°C or 68°F) will take approximately 25 minutes to reach oil level verification criteria (oil temperature and idle time). Oil level can be reliably verified when the radiator fans have cycled ON twice,

or

• The unit can be taken on a 15 km (9 mile) drive (normal riding) or a 6 km (4 mile) drive in 1st gear at 50 km/h (30 mph) which is approx at 4400 rpm THEN idled until the radiator fans have cycled ON twice.

When performing an oil change on a cold engine, the above recommendations must be done to reach oil level verification criteria. When performing an oil change on a hot engine, the new oil will heat up faster since the engine is hot therefore letting the engine idle until 10 minutes or until the radiator fans have cycled ON twice indicates the oil level can be verified.
    We thus recommend checking the oil level at the end of a decent ride following the complete oil level verification procedure as outlined above.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 10-10-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: formatting
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for this very thorough and complete explanation!

(10 minutes of idling-time... Wow! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information, but my fuel pump is so noisy, I never hear the fans run, so I just check it after a reasonable run...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default The oil procedure

Thanks very much for the clarification on this.......I am not an ECO freak But I would very much recommend everyone do their oil level checking AFTER they take the Spyder out for a ride........Not before ......Because AFTER the ride it's already warmed up ( 99.999 % of the time ) .....This way , you will always know that the oil is correct before you go riding ..........I have ALWAYS done it this way with all 3 of my Spyders , so I have probably saved 100 or more hours of waiting time and who knows how much gas. I mean who takes their Spyder out for less time than it takes to fully warm it up !!!!!!...................just a thought ........Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2021 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Fixed color display/readability

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

thanks for posting the correct procedure, this will help many with doubts or doing it wrong....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Make this a sticky?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to make this a "sticky" under the ACE 1330 Shop Talk heading for all future readers?

Just a thought.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good idea!

Spyder Garage

Default That sir, is an

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    Wouldn't it be a good idea to make this a "sticky" under the ACE 1330 Shop Talk heading for all future readers?

Just a thought.

Gary
    EXCELLENT idea!!!
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Is there any internal combustion engine powered machine out there with a more complicated procedure to do such a normally simple task as checking the engine oil level?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scott16119 View Post
    Is there any internal combustion engine powered machine out there with a more complicated procedure to do such a normally simple task as checking the engine oil level?

The twin is no slouch on being complicated

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Why make it simple when you can do that complicated. [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Spyder Garage

Default checking oil level

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    [*]Engine oil temperature is crucial since its volume changes based on temperature; that's enough to affect the measurable level.
    [*]Engine must idle 10 minutes. The 1330 engine is a dry sump design with 3 scavenge pumps and 1 pressure pump, 10 minutes of idle time allows the scavenge pumps to stabilize the quantity of oil returned.

Complete oil level verification procedure:

1. Bring engine to operating temperature.
    2. Ensure vehicle is on a level surface.
    3. Allow engine to idle for 10 minutes.
    4. Stop the engine.
    5. Within 2 minutes of stopping the engine:
      1. Remove and wipe the dipstick clean.
      2. Insert dipstick and completely screw it in.
      3. Remove dipstick and read oil level on dipstick.

6. Adjust level as necessary without overfilling.

Tips and Tricks:

The manual that came with my 2014 RT states (on page 124 ) that the engines only needs to idle for at least 30 seconds at normal operating temp. - 10 minutes seems excessive to me.
    my 2 cents worth
    Tip
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2021 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

The entire procedure can be summed up as "Make sure the engine is at proper engine operating temperature when checking the oil". There was some uncertainty among folks on how to best achieve that, so we've simply broken it down into smaller steps.
    BRPcare

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just look upon it, as a chance for some FUN!!

Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-10-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You know.... I have checked my oil level when it has been cold and when it has been hot..... It has always been within being 1/10th of a inch on the dipstick either way..... I'll just keep checking it when it is cold...... would not want to run the engine for that many miles and it be low....So knowing where the oil level is when cold and being sitting is the way I will check it.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The entire procedure can be summed up as "Make sure the engine is at proper engine operating temperature when checking the oil". There was some uncertainty among folks on how to best achieve that, so we've simply broken it down into smaller steps.
    The normal operating temp is fine, and not unlike the V-twin. It's the 10-minute idle after the engine is at normal operating temp that seems a bit much. Are you saying that if you come in off a hot run, let it idle for a minute or so to stabilize things, and then take the reading you will be in error? I know that's what you are saying but I have to ask again. Just don't comprehend that.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting about the recommended procedure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm a graduate of K.I.S.S.. one would assume once you note the proper level after the 36 steps was completed according to the recommended steps. Let the bike cool down and the measure...wouldn't this be the proper level when cold?
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRPcare

Steve, what about the qty of oil to add after an oil/filter change. Understand the qty has been changed from 5.6 quarts to 5 quarts. Pls clarify/verify. Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2021 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Steve, a couple more questions about oil on the 1330. Recently ran across suggestions that the 1330 motor be filled with only 4.9L of oil instead of the 5.3L that the 2014 manual shows for the SE6. Is this true?? Also, much confusion about oil change interval---after the initial break in service at 3000 miles, is the next oil change done at 9300 miles or 12,300 miles??

Your input would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2021 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Fixed quote/layout display - removed extra CR's
    Bob

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

like some others -- I check it either hot or cold - I know where the oil should read in either situation --

their warm up procedure seems hokey

Spyder Garage

Are you saying that if you come in off a hot run, let it idle for a minute or so to stabilize things, and then take the reading you will be in error? I know that's what you are saying but I have to ask again. Just don't comprehend that.
    With 3 scavenge pumps and 1 pressure pump, the longer idle time allows the scavenge pumps to stabilize the quantity of oil returned in the reservoir for a more accurate

Steve, what about the qty of oil to add after an oil/filter change. Understand the qty has been changed from 5.6 quarts to 5 quarts. Pls clarify/verify. Thanks.

• SE6: Engine oil, filter replacement: 4.7L (5 US qt)
    • SE6: Engine oil, filter & HCM surface filter replacement: 4.9L (5.2 US qt)
    • SM6: Engine oil, filter replacement: 4.5L (4.8 US qt)

Also, much confusion about oil change interval---after the initial break in service at 3000 miles, is the next oil change done at 9300 miles or 12,300 miles??
    From the operation's guide, the break in for service is 3000 miles. Other maintenance intervals are every 9300 MI or 1 year - whichever comes first. In other words, the first time the unit has its service done the unit will have 3000 miles. Then, the first regular maintenance + next oil change will be at 12300 miles (9300 miles after the initial service). Afterwards, every 9300 miles should continue to be the norm.

Hope this helps answer your questions.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 10-14-2014 at 03:56 PM.
    BRPcare

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OwnerOfHarriet View Post
    like some others -- I check it either hot or cold - I know where the oil should read in either situation --

their warm up procedure seems hokey

AGREED......

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you very much

thanks for the clarification on the recommended amount of oil. I must assume that with my new '14 RTS SE that, as it is showing a little over the "full" mark on the dip stick that I should remove a half quart. It probably left the factory with 5.6 quarts in it. Would this assumption be correct?
    Thanks again Steve for the info.
    Last edited by StanProff; 10-14-2014 at 03:15 PM.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Default oil questions

With 3 scavenge pumps and 1 pressure pump, the longer idle time allows the scavenge pumps to stabilize the quantity of oil returned in the reservoir for a more accurate

• SE6: Engine oil, filter replacement: 4.7L (5 US qt)
    • SE6: Engine oil, filter & HCM surface filter replacement: 4.9L (5.2 US qt)
    • SM6: Engine oil, filter replacement: 4.5L (4.8 US qt)

From the operation's guide, the break in for service is 3000 miles. Other maintenance intervals are every 9300 MI or 1 year - whichever comes first. In other words, the first time the unit has its service done the unit will have 3000 miles. Then, the first regular maintenance + next oil change will be at 12300 miles (9300 miles after the initial service). Afterwards, every 9300 miles should continue to be the norm.

Hope this helps answer your questions.
    Thanks Steve. That cleared up a lot of questions. Any chance that BRP will issue a longer oil dip stick for the 2014 RT's??
    Bob