Spyder Garage

Default Tire pressure Spyder newbie dumb question......

I have a 2014 RT and the manual says 20 for the front and 28 for the back tire. Coming from almost 40 years riding motorcycles, most folks including myself would find a sweet spot higher than what the manual would say. Would love to have real world experience for the 2014 RT tires. They are stock. Thanks in advance.
    2014 RT-SE6
    Akrapovic Sport Touring 3C Silencer
    High Mount Third Brake Light
    Kuryakyn Black ISO Motorcycle Grips
    LaMonster Spyderdock
    LED’s everywhere!
    Russell Day-Long w/ Backrest
    Seal Floorboards
    Spyderpops Bump Skid
    Spyderpops KOTT Grill (Keep Out The Trash)
    Squared Away Alignment

Riding taught me why dogs stick their heads out the window!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by martiniman View Post
    I have a 2014 RT and the manual says 20 for the front and 28 for the back tire. Coming from almost 40 years riding motorcycles, most folks including myself would find a sweet spot higher than what the manual would say. Would love to have real world experience for the 2014 RT tires. They are stock. Thanks in advance.
    Recommend using the BRP specs on the tires. To soft gives a soft and squirrely ride. More than 28 in the rear will expand the tire and make it wear out prematurely in the center of the tread.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yep, riding a Harley for the past 20 years, I wasn't buying the specs. Figured it was a typo, but they're on the money.
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RT-S and i run 18 in the front (my preference) 28 in the rear. Most important is that you have both front tires at the same pressure, 1/2 lb off will affect your ride.

find your sweet spot and stay with it.

Cruzr Joe
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 10-10-2014 at 10:13 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Start out with 30 in the rear and 22-23 in front....ride a few miles until tires heat up....see how it goes. Let out 2# in rear (don't go below 28 in rear) and front and repeat...like Joe says...find your sweet spot. On my 2011, riding solo, 30 rear, 18 in front and that's just me.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I run 17.5 in front and 28 in the rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

21 & 28 for my Bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one..!!

considering your ryding style, weight, double or single ryder makes for a wide range of recommondations. Always recommend you start with their suggested pressure and adjust it to suit you. JT's Machine Shop (sponsor on the home page) has a dual filler for the front tires that keeps them equal...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I've been running the nominal tire pressure in accordance with the Owners Manual.
    20 psi front & 28 psi rear.
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Spyder Garage

21 and 28 so far
    3:16

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by martiniman View Post
    Jt's Machine shop is a vendor on here and sells a neat little device that you connect to both front tires and fill from a common fitting,making sure you get exactly the same pressure in both front tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Digital tire gauge are best help. 19 front 28 rear.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default pressures

This might freak some out been running front at 23psi and rear at 17psi since wife wore first oem tire out at 6000mi. in 2010, have run 215/60-15 every since at 17psi , she has 70,000mi. now averaging approx. 25000 mi. per rear now but she rides solo and pulls camper so she scuffs tires bad, riding two up I don't know how long a tire would last ,I would guess at least 30,000. At 17psi. tire wears evenly no more wore out center, currently running General Altimax Rt front and rear.

Spyder Garage

I like 25 in the front, was running 18 but didn't like the feel the tires are going to roll off the rim in corners......must be the Baja Ron Sway Bar and Elka shock effect! :-)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

20 front 26 rear.

Spyder Garage

I ride 22 in front for local area casual riding and 25 for hard core twistie riding, always 28 in the back...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire pressure

Here’s a trick my father-in-law told me about. During the war, tires were hard to get and were on ration. To get the most wear out of a set of tires he would mark a line across the tread of each tire from one side to the other with a large piece of white chalk. He would drive in a straight line for about a quarter of a mile and then check the chalk marks on the tires. If there was no chalk visible on the center of the tire he would add air until the chalk line wore off evenly. Sometimes front tires took more air than the rear tires to wear evenly. Don’t forget miss alignment and toe in has an huge effect on wear and stability.