Thread: Trailer Towing

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Towing

My wife recently began towing our bunkhouse with her 2010 RTs , she has always noticed exhaust fumes from backpressure when towing her cargo trailer maybe worse since she got her two brothers exhaust but with the camper it is bad , we went to local muffler shop and they bent us an extension that I will now put on only when towing camper takes only one screw out of the end of muffler about 30 secs. to install, they didn't even charge us, he said was scrap anyway,I am sure shes not the only one that has noticed this, hope helps. 1007141258.jpg1007141257.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pure Genius!
    Thanks for a very useful "tip"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by syclemom View Post
    My wife recently began towing our bunkhouse with her 2010 RTs , she has always noticed exhaust fumes from backpressure when towing her cargo trailer maybe worse since she got her two brothers exhaust but with the camper it is bad , we went to local muffler shop and they bent us an extension that I will now put on only when towing camper takes only one screw out of the end of muffler about 30 secs. to install, they didn't even charge us, he said was scrap anyway,I am sure shes not the only one that has noticed this, hope helps. 1007141258.jpg1007141257.jpg
    Something more than fumes and smoke going on here. RT should not be smoking while pulling a trailer. See a good dealer (if there are any) and get this checked before you damage the engine. SWAG exhaust valve, rings or mixture set too rich.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default towing

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Something more than fumes and smoke going on here. RT should not be smoking while pulling a trailer. See a good dealer (if there are any) and get this checked before you damage the engine. SWAG exhaust valve, rings or mixture set too rich.

Jack
    Did not say anything about smoke, backpressure is the air behind the bike swirling back towards the windshield at lower speeds and can be a problem on ANY motorcycle , my wife has 70,000mi. on this one her 2 Goldwing Trikes did it too pulling the blunt front camper, this bike does not need service. This problem is worse when you raise the windshield , my BMW does it some when you raise windshield all the way up you can feel the air hit you in the back.

Spyder Garage

Great solution! Simple and easy to remove when you're not trailering

Spyder Garage

We have always noticed that when pulling an Aspen trailer. Thanks for the tip!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Default towing

We are leaving in a few days from S.E. Texas to the Florida Keyes for a couple of weeks, she will be pulling our Bunkhouse will post how it works out but she already pulled a test and said "0" exhaust fumes. I am also a Beemer rider, the Spyder belongs to her.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the exzuast in fo. I have a quick camp I towed for years behind my wing ,

Thanks for the info , I plan on towng my quick camp trailer ,, But speaking of towing , I have a special crank up lift I used on my harley and gold wing , Just short trips like to the dealer and car wash ,
    My question is >> I plan on backing my spyder up on it and cranking the screw lift up say 10 inches not too high to cause any damage to front of spyder`s plastic , securing the rear tire to the lift and tieing each handel bar with straps / rope to the rear passengener hand grips , this will keet the front wheels in line for straight tracking < Now the main question will it hurt the the front wheels to run backwards >>>>?? is their any wheel scensers it could damage ?? for short hauls I thing this would be great , I think dealers need a set up like this to develer bike with >>> I need some feed back on this >> I can make a lift like this for 150 bucks >> it works great on front wheels of bikes , but for long distance tows be best to remove the chain , or like some bikes slip belt off rear sprocket and tye safetly out of way >>> Troy from Irving texas , Just got a like new spyder >> Now to learn to drive/ride it

Quote Originally Posted by syclemom View Post

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't tow the bike backwards...
    The windshield just isn't designed to take strong winds from the rear; you might end up tearing it loose.
    You also can't tow them with the rear wheel on the road; unless you remove the drivebelt first...
    For all of that effort; it's just better to find yourself a 6x10 trailer.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-27-2014 at 09:52 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The front tires have directional rotation. By towing it backwards you'll be rotating the tires against the grain.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default frunk

You also take a chance of hitting a bump and damaging the frunk if the rear tire is very far off the ground.