Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool Nitrogen on tires or not, that is the question...

Hello again to all, Greetings from Tequila country...quick one, is it ok and/or recomendable to put Nitrogen on the tires instead of regular air?...I am planning to put Ride-on on the tires and wondering if it would be a benefit or detriment. They supposedly run cooler and bla bla but just in case better ask...Thanks to all!!!
    CARPE DIEM - Live and Let LIVE...
    NOW and loving it.... 2014 SpYder RT Limited Silver
    My daily commuter: 2014 BMW RNineT
    EX BMW Fiasco: 2014 R1200RT-LC (thanks to ¨her¨ now I truly ¨RYDE¨)
    LOOK INTO MY EYES......

Farkles:
    Bajaron Anti-Sway Bar (A must have!)
    Bump Skid Plate (too many bumps in México)
    Stainless Steel Kott Grilles (was collecting too many insects)
    Missing Belt Guard (not missing nothing now...)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use the much cheaper, 78% nitrogen, that's more commonly available.

Honestly, I don't know ir the cost of using nitriogen; negates it's supposed advantages.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

While there is little down side to N2 in tires other than a bit faster pressure loss over time, there is also no real benefit for normal road going tires. Some race teams use N2 but is more a matter of convenience not needing a compressor, just one small high pressure bottle.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Air

Nitrogen has no moisture content, does not expand or contract like air, inflation levels are more consistent, also less corrosive.

Dave
    2011 Spyder RT Limited, drive daily (except when it's snowing)
    2012 Honda Fury VT1300
    1974 850 Norton Commando, drive daily, praying that it keeps running!
    2009 Goldwing GL1800 AD, traded in
    2009 Suzuki M109, (fast bike), traded in
    2011 Nissan Murano SL, S, ride to work

Spyder Garage

My wifes car always had a tiny very slow leak in one of her tires. We replaced the air with nitrogen and now all tires stay at exactly where we set them to. They NEVER change. One thing as is if I understand it correctly, if you ever need to add air, it contaminates the nitrogen and it needs replaced. The tire place I use will "Recharge" tires for free when ever they need it! I do use RideOn in my Spyder tires but use regular air.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    My wifes car always had a tiny very slow leak in one of her tires. We replaced the air with nitrogen and now all tires stay at exactly where we set them to. They NEVER change. One thing as is if I understand it correctly, if you ever need to add air, it contaminates the nitrogen and it needs replaced. The tire place I use will "Recharge" tires for free when ever they need it! I do use RideOn in my Spyder tires but use regular air.
    I have heard the same regarding very slow leaks if tire has been punctured, I had a tire on my pick up truck and yes slowly was going down BUT don´t know if the same would have happened if with regular air. So, if any one of you had the chance/opportunity to put the Ride-On plus N2 would you do it? considering that if you the tires deflates you would have to put N2 again.

Thanks guys/gals...
    LOOK INTO MY EYES......

Farkles:

Spyder Garage

N2 expands and contracts (rises and falls in pressure) due to temps as well. Difference from air is slight but could be more or less variance depending on water content. Neither air nor N2 will have any effect on corrosion on the wheels and tires on the spyders....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I use 79% Nitrogen and 20% oxygen and 1% other inert gas.
    I use it in everything I put air into

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even your lungs??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    N2 expands and contracts (rises and falls in pressure) due to temps as well. Difference from air is slight but could be more or less variance depending on water content. Neither air nor N2 will have any effect on corrosion on the wheels and tires on the spyders....
    I respectfully disagree My Chromed Corvette rims bubbled at the beads and had to be polished off from air w/H2O. Next set with nitrogen did not. That bubbling at the beads also lets more air escape.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Helium

Use helium,which is much lighter. Easier when you travel rough roads and go over bumps. You'll also gain a little more top end.
    2011 Limited (Farkle) Edition

Spyder Garage

Air from compressors is corrosive. It contains moisture which is produced when air is compressed. That's why air compressors have filters and drain cocks. There is no way to completely remove the moisture from standard shop air compressors. That moisture is transferred to the tire when you inflate it.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Use helium,which is much lighter. Easier when you travel rough roads and go over bumps. You'll also gain a little more top end."

And it's also lots of fun...

Who can argue with a Star's endorsement?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BUT REMEMBER THIS

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    "Use helium,which is much lighter. Easier when you travel rough roads and go over bumps. You'll also gain a little more top end."

And it's also lots of fun...

Who can argue with a Star's endorsement?

....If you use anything other than certified air from a BRP dealer ......the spyder warranty is null and void ....just sayin ....................... ......................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Very good!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....If you use anything other than certified air from a BRP dealer ......the spyder warranty is null and void ....just sayin ....................... ......................Mike
    Certainly hits the nail on the head when applied to a recent thread.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

USAF has used nitrogen to fill aircraft tires for many years. It is dry and the nitrogen molecule is bigger than the oxygen molecule. Oxygen molecules, under pressure, will, over time, migrate through the rubber tire and you lose tire pressure. As a larger molecule, nitrogen is less susceptible to this and tire pressure remains more constant . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I've had nitrogen in my truck tires since they were put on three years ago. Have only needed to top it off twice. There is no sign of "weathering" on the tires at all.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So, for what I can see, N2 is a good option, now, any problems with Ride-On perhaps?...almost made my decisión but...need to be sure....thanks gang!!!!
    LOOK INTO MY EYES......

Farkles:

Spyder Garage

I wonder if some who say nitrogen is snake oil ever used it? Secondly how many spend $1000's on farkles that do nothing and are not willing to spend between $20-$30 to save from checking the tire pressure every time they ride. Thirdly If you use air and set the rear tire to 28psi after it gets hot it will be 32-35psi. Wonder if that has anything to do with the center of the Kenda's wearing out. If you fill with 28psi nitrogen and the tire gets hot it will be ~30psi. If you let it sit and ambient temps go from summer to winter the 28psi will drop with air but not with Nitrogen. Same goes in the spring. I used to check my pressure twice a year with nitrogen,,,just sayin'
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default air ok here

it's all good n dandy until your better half thinks she got low tire and fills it with air so wet it drips at the stem. more times than I
    can count on my 3 toed foot! SO , for now all my tires run on whatever air compressors squirt-out! AIR's not so bad, it's been around since the inception of tires- right?
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

It all comes down to you. Do you have the money to throw away? If so, then donate that money to a charity and fill your tires with air. You will feel much better.

Nitrogen is a scam. Unless you suck out all the 'air' in your tires first or put in another tire valve so the air can escape when you fill it with nitrogen then you are wasting your time and money.

Spyder Garage

so, what is the process if one wants to put nitrogen in existing tires? How do they do it?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

If nitrogen is good because of the size of the molecules, would've carbon dioxide be better?
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    so, what is the process if one wants to put nitrogen in existing tires? How do they do it?
    First it probably won't need any topping off, but if it needs 1 lb or 2 topping off with air will not do anything bad to it. The above poster who said it is a scam have you tried it? As far as filling it removing the valve stem and letting the air out will take it pretty close to 0 psi. People are over thinking it 99% nitrogen is virtually as good as 100% until you have tried it and done the checks (as I have) do not discount the fact that you will need far less (if any) topping off. I ran my Corvette for 2yrs and lost 2lbs of pressure. It simply does what is said. It does not seep out for far longer periods and maintains a steadier PSI for longer periods. It will maintain a steady air pressure at different temperatures ( air DOES NOT). Most places that use it should be able to top it off like the place you get it from. It is not rocket science or rare and maintaining proper inflation will save $$$ with better MPG . Most places that fill tires with air DO NOT have 100% effective filter driers on their compressors so what ever humidity is in the air turns to H2O under pressure. I would be more than willing to read something factual that says it is a scam rather than listen to opinions without any basis.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    If nitrogen is good because of the size of the molecules, would've carbon dioxide be better?
    If it were airplanes and race cars would be using it.