Spyder Garage

Default Saga of the saddlebags

Recently I came up with some extra money, so I thought I'd spend it on my ST. Ordered a set of Can Am rigid saddlebags, and thought I'd take everything down to the local bike shop and have them installed. Then I watched Lamonster's video and got brave. (Thanks, Lamonster!) I'll do it myself, I thought. So I take everything I have to take off the ST and start. Ok, the instructions say do this, done. Oops, left out a step, take off and redo. lather, rinse, repeat. Finally, the braces and brackets are on the ST and I start to put back on the side panels. This is the part where I really started to use bad words. *%#$@ bolts won't go back into the little clips! After two days of fighting, I still have two that I just can't get to line up right to catch the threads on the back of the chips

Spyder Garage

This reminds me of why I chicken out each time I get the DIY bug
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

love those plug and go projects. I had a company called "Some Assembly Required". It did quite well going to people that bought toys, furniture, appliances etc. that have a small picture of a hammer, screwdriver and pliers on the side of the box saying some assembly reqired and found it was not that simple. Many steps are a one shot deal and getting it apart again is next to impossible. I found if you don't tighten things down till you assemble it all, you can align those outta place parts. There are occasions where you do have to drill, cut, sand or bend parts to make them fit. (too many)..relax take a deep breath and come back to it..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Me too...............

I have such little mechanical ability that I do not go much further than check oil, wash the , put on seal floorboards, and fill with gas.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you are referring to the screws that hold the plastic body panels on and together they can be a real pain. I know you are frustrated, but you can do it. Here is what I did and do. First, go and get some replacement screws and nut clips. If the threads are damaged on the ones you are working with they will lock up and never go together. (make sure they will go together before assembling the panels) Second, stay away from power tools until you are comfortable with the process. (this is where I first screwed up). If the screw will not chetch the nut, make sure the nut clip has not slipped out of place. I use a smaller drill bit to help align the nut with the hole. (You may have to tighten up the clip with a pair of pliers to help keep the nut in place)

The first time I tore the spider apart I thought it would never go back together, now it is a piece of cake. Good luck and have fun.

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    This reminds me of why I chicken out each time I get the DIY bug
    Oh thank heaven!!!!! I thought I was the last one left who duck under a large leaf at the mere mention of DIY.

Spyder Garage

Don't sweat it, it sounds like the nut clip is stripped. I can empathize with you as just yesterday I put on Spyderpops BumpSkid and it requires a couple of those clips. The first thread on one was collapsed and the screw wouldn't catch... Man it was frustrating, luckily I had a spare!

What I learned, don't put too much pressure on them until you are completely threaded through or you could strip them. Also, remember to back the screw out first before you thread it in so it finds the threading and seats properly!

Otherwise, congrats on the new purchase!! Saddlebags are an eventual purchase for me, now I also know what to expect during install!! [emoji15]
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take a deep breath...
    (Don't forget to let it back out!)

Try loosening up all of the mounting hardware... NOT "falling off loose"...just "I now have some wiggle room" loose...
    That may help you sneak out the space that you need...
    Good Luck!
    Remember; we'll need to see some pictures of the finished project!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Success! I was having the most trouble putting back on the cover under the tailpiece (right over the back tire) I took it back off and enlarged the holes where the lower bracket for the saddlebags is, and everything lined up right, finally!