Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire Talk Update

We had some back and forth when another member posted a question on whether or not to change out the rear tire on her 2014 RT.

I had mine changed out yesterday, since it was in the same condition as the picture posted.

Dealer will not use other than OEM tire brand.

Changed out at 8782 miles--better than a lot have posted. No choice but the famous Kenda--they tell me this is from the "older" stock--so I should not have soft tire issues.

My bill? They wanted $500.00 and change. $179.00 for the tire and 3 hours labor to do it. I got them to back down to 2.2 hours on the labor. Final cost $421.99. Previous rear tires were changed out at $350.00

Not a real happy camper--but--the have me where they want me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Wow, did they give you a jar of Vasa line?
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

D,
    Those boys have you bent over the fence... and Bad!
    I'll either be changing to a Kumho at the very end of this Season, or the very Start of next Season...
    It'll be about $140.00; plus tax...

But still... on setting a VERY high mileage mark; for the rest of us to aim at!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Last week, my dealer took 30 minutes to change, balance and install my rear tire. And the tech check and realign the strap.

2.2 hours is really abusive.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have to remember... He doesn't have any other choices up there...

Spyder Garage

Default BOT

BOT MY OWN TIRE, KUMHO AST, $81... TOOK IT 2 MY SPYD3R DEALER... CHARGED ME $75 (1 Hr. LABOR)....
    I THOT I GOT SKRU'd.... BUT U GOT A WEEKS WORTH OF SKUR'N.....

Spyder Garage

That is ridiculous.....my ex dealer knocked me for 280.00 and I thought that was crazy...
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Got my Kumho, and installation for $139! By Netzely Tire. A board sponsor. Dealer was $157.50 for the "Crapenda" and another $149 for the install. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I pull and change my tire at home. While I am at it I inspect the brakes and bearings and then I balance so it is bang on. For the time it takes me to ride it to the dealer and back I have the tire done and back on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I pull and change my tire at home. While I am at it I inspect the brakes and bearings and then I balance so it is bang on. For the time it takes me to ride it to the dealer and back I have the tire done and back on.
    I have always envied those with mechanical ability. I have my strong points, but working on the is not one of them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    We had some back and forth when another member posted a question on whether or not to change out the rear tire on her 2014 RT.

I had mine changed out yesterday, since it was in the same condition as the picture posted.

Changed out at 8782 miles--better than a lot have posted. No choice but the famous Kenda--they tell me this is from the "older" stock--so I should not have soft tire issues.

My bill? They wanted $500.00 and change. $179.00 for the tire and 3 hours labor to do it. I got them to back down to 2.2 hours on the labor. Final cost $421.99. Previous rear tires were changed out at $350.00

Wow, picked up my '14 this afternoon after a rear tire change and oil change, total bill $428.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

really sorry you have to go through this. Hope they got you the right kenda if they did I got 22,000 outta mine. Let us know...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    really sorry you have to go through this. Hope they got you the right kenda if they did I got 22,000 outta mine. Let us know...
    All my previous experiences were in the 13K to 15K range on the rear tires. Almost 17K on the 2011. Am going to wait until spring to change that one over.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought my Hydroedge for $85 delivered from Amazon. Pulled the tire and took it to the dealer. They mounted and balanced it loose for $25. Re-installed it and adjusted the belt myself. That was 5,000 miles ago. Belt tension and alignment is perfect. Tire has hardly any wear at all. Probably get 20K out of it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Got my Kumho, and installation for $139! By Netzely Tire. A board sponsor. Dealer was $157.50 for the "Crapenda" and another $149 for the install. Tom
    He's my Guy, as well...

We can't forget... Not everybody has the time or the skillsets, to change their own tires. Additionally; not every dealer is willing to mount a tire that doesn't say something like "Approved for motorcycle use" on our bikes as well...

Spyder Garage

I got my Kumho for $84, delivered, and a custom trike shop in my hometown watched Lamont's video on how to change the rear tire without messing with the belt tension, removed the rear rim, removed the old tire, mounted the new one, balanced it and had it back on in less than an hour. Your dealer is very close to being a thief for charging three hours of labor . . . or did one guy do it and two watched, and he charged you labor for all three?

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    D,
    Those boys have you bent over the fence... and Bad!
    I'll either be changing to a Kumho at the very end of this Season, or the very Start of next Season...
    It'll be about $140.00; plus tax...

But still... on setting a VERY high mileage mark; for the rest of us to aim at!
    Hello, what Kumho tire? and does Kumho make a tire for the front wheels too?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For the rear: the Ecsta AST in the stock 225/50-15 size.
    For the front; they've got the Solus in a 155/65-15

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire

Just had my 2014 rear tire changed after 5004 miles. Looked very thin in the middle. Bought a Kenda tire as dealer will not sell any other. Tire with 15% discount, because we have a club, was $159.00. Install price was $150.00, if we bought the tire from them, other wise $185.00. Total $305.00. So you are not that far off.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default $85 for Kumho Rear Tire - $137.50 for mounting on bike.

My rear tire experience is: $85 for Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R-15 Rear Tire (discount tire) and $137.50 for mounting on bike at the dealer.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viperryder View Post
    Just had my 2014 rear tire changed after 5004 miles. Looked very thin in the middle. Bought a Kenda tire as dealer will not sell any other. Tire with 15% discount, because we have a club, was $159.00. Install price was $150.00, if we bought the tire from them, other wise $185.00. Total $305.00. So you are not that far off.

"My bill? They wanted $500.00 and change. $179.00 for the tire and 3 hours labor to do it. I got them to back down to 2.2 hours on the labor. Final cost $421.99. "

Don't know for sure--but $116.99 more than $305.00 seems just a bit further off IMO.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-03-2014 at 03:30 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    BOT MY OWN TIRE, KUMHO AST, $81... TOOK IT 2 MY SPYD3R DEALER... CHARGED ME $75 (1 Hr. LABOR)....
    I THOT I GOT SKRU'd.... BUT U GOT A WEEKS WORTH OF SKUR'N.....
    My dealer also charges one hour labor although it only takes about half that. They use flat rate and have never questioned
    my selection of non-OEM tires.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That had to hurt!!

If I got the tire from Discount Tire, I was quoted $70 (1 hour) to have it installed at the local HD shop. I'll get mine done next week; originally quoted $300 installed, and got them down to $200. They must be really marking up the tires.

I'm going to order one this winter to keep on hand for when I need it. Fronts, too!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    That had to hurt!!

If I got the tire from Discount Tire, I was quoted $70 (1 hour) to have it installed at the local HD shop. I'll get mine done next week; originally quoted $300 installed, and got them down to $200. They must be really marking up the tires.

I'm going to order one this winter to keep on hand for when I need it. Fronts, too!
    Yes, the prices are all over the place. I think the $179 for the tire was catalog.

Labor: I am going to talk with them when I bring my in the next time. Not sure if they are using shop rate, actual, or let's take this guy for as much as we can before he starts protesting.

You would think that since I have purchased 5 's , added accessories on most, done all my maintenance there, etc. that they would be treating me as good as possible.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default IF I WERE IN YOUR SHOES

Yes, the prices are all over the place. I think the $179 for the tire was catalog.

Labor: I am going to talk with them when I bring my in the next time. Not sure if they are using shop rate, actual, or let's take this guy for as much as we can before he starts protesting.

You would think that since I have purchased 5 's , added accessories on most, done all my maintenance there, etc. that they would be treating me as good as possible.
    ........Personally I think your Dealer ( stealer ) should be arrested for what He's doing .....there's a profit margin and then there is OUT RIGHT LARCENY ......Check out the Harbor Freight website ....for what you are spending at the Dealer you buy your own tire changing set -up and be done with it ..........Also check the Yellow pages for independant MTC shops they can do this for a lot less and won't care if you don't bring a CRAPENDA TIRE to mount .....just sayin......I really feel for for you .....Mike