Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Poorly Engineered 2012 Limited Spyder

These spyders are Unreal,
    I rememberd when I first purchased this thing new, Just to Install a New K&N air filter was a nightmare.....Unreal
    This is the first time I change the oil, as I have always had it done at the shop.....Totally Unreal
    Just Installed New spark Plugs...Totally Unreal

I have probably owned close to or in the neighborhood of 100 motorcycles and have never had to go through this nightmare to do maintenance on a bike.....

I can just Imagine what the new 3 cyclinders would be like.....

The stealership had put the oil drian plug in so tight that is snapped the 6 MM allen head socket right off....I had to put a long allen wrench with a cheater pipe onto it to break it loose.....the little copper washer was destroyed......what an idiot had tighted a drain plug like that...

If there is anybody out there with litle mechanicle skills do not attemt this at home, pay somebody to do the oil change and spark plugs....as much as I hate to say it send it to the local stealership, better yet find somebody close to you that has the experience to get -r-done

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well that's a poorly engineered mechanic, not the bikes fault!

I've had 2 wheeled bikes that were a pain to work on, whilst others were very easy.
    The Spyder is no different, although it's certainly not a 2 wheeled machine!

That said, my ST is a breeze to work on, once the plastic is removed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might need to buy another Honda...
    Oh wait... they catch fire too!

How long have you had the bike??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The air filter and oil service is a breeze on the new 3 cylinder, have not tried the plugs yet.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Default The ST does not have all of the Bells and Whistles

The ST does not have all of the Bells and Whistles,<br><br><br>Look under the hood of the Limited with all of the Xtra's on it....Just one Big Nightmare<br><br>Most Uncomfortable thing I have ever riden<br><br>I currently own 3 Tour bikes<br><br>2012 White&nbsp;Limited With the matching trailer, with over 10K of xtra's on them<br>2014 CVO Limited Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle<br>2010 Honda Goldwing with about 10K of xtra's<br>2 late model sport bikes<br>2 vintage bikes<br><br>NONE of these bikes have to be dismanteled to do maintenance....I also ride about 50K miles a year or more, so I do quite a bit of maintenance weekly...

Spyder Garage

Default about 18 months I think I purchased brand new, it has about 20K miles on it

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You might need to buy another Honda...
    Oh wait... they catch fire too!

How long have you had the bike??
    I just orderd a new 2015 Honda Goldwing Anniversary trading my 2010 Goldwing In

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well, there's your issue... Every bike you listed has two wheels... The Spyder is a different animal (insect?!) altogether.

You wouldn't compare a car to a bike... Can't understand why people try to compare the Spyder?

Spyder Garage

A mild suggestion...sell the Spyder before you hyperventilate and have serious health issues and enjoy your other bikes.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default I love Jacumba

I have stayed there several times and spent New years there once, stayed there for a wek.......Went hiking up to the hole.....What an awesome road trip....

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Uh uh

Quote Originally Posted by zamfield View Post
    Well, there's your issue... Every bike you listed has two wheels... The Spyder is a different animal (insect?!) altogether.

You wouldn't compare a car to a bike... Can't understand why people try to compare the Spyder?
    the Spyder is not an insect it is an arachnid . Insects have 6 legs!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

It ain't so hard to work on.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Working on the Spyder

My friend and I just worked on my (2013 RTL) and yes it was a pain in the fanny. Had to remove a lot of tupperware to get to things. Taking out the resonator was a real fun project but we got it done. Installed JT's air filter and just ordered the quiet filter. Will see how much fun that is to install.

Spyder Garage

So (Nudels2u75),

Do I need to add you to my "Ignore List" or will you be leaving the forum voluntarily? Enjoy your Honda.

Mike in KY
    A satisfied and proud owner of a 2012 RT-S SE5 with 26K+ miles in 18 months and 28 states, and I do all my own maintenance work. BTW, this is the first motorcycle of any kind I've ever owned in my 68 years.

PS. I still haven't figured out how to change my map. Pennsylvania should be red also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike,
    I think that you need to go back to the site where you got the map, and just build yourself a new one.
    on filling in "Pennsyltucky"!

Spyder Garage

There are some difficulties working on the Spyder. But I've had some other rides that were no joy to work on, depending on what you wanted to do.

Adjusting the valves on my 750 Honda was no joy. And it had to be done fairly often to keep it running at peak. Balancing the carbs was a tedious job as well.

Trying to get the 2 Amal carbs on my brother's 650 Triumph balanced was an effort in futility.

The thing about the Spyder is, you need to do something a few times to get efficient at it. Doing it the 1st time can seem to be a real pain. But as you get better at it, things tend to smooth out.

Riding it is sure easier than any 2 wheels I've ever owned. I haven't fallen over yet!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...even though they've put one heckuva big dent in the market for sidestands... Sidestand Spyder.jpg

Spyder Garage

Spyders are not the easiest bikes to work on, granted. But for those who want to complain, have you ever worked on a K12 BMW?? At least the Spyder doesn't need a working $1100 center stand to work on it.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

All of my gold wings were harder to work on. I believe they hang the thermostat from a rafter and build the bike around it.... kind of like a Corvette heater core!
    3:16

Spyder Garage

Sorry about your issues concerning not easy to work on. A lot of machines are that way these days.

I am not mechanical, so have the dealer do all my stuff. Therefore, I am very happy with my current 's and was also happy with the previous 's.

's are not for everyone, but you have come to a somewhat biased site. Most of us like them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Friend blew a head gasket on his 6L Ford F-350 diesel. Guess what! You have to pull the cab to get the heads off!

I'll take my Spyder any day over that!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I changed the motor in my Ford futura (Fairmont/Granada)from a 4 cyl. to a 6cyl. In my driveway, with the help from a friend with a tow truck! But that was many years ago, when I didn't mind lying in the gravel. The Spyder is not to bad to work on, but I do it on a cement floor with the right tools. Learned a few lessons over the years, and the body doesn't allow the things I did back then. Although I haven't attempted the air breather yet!
    Last edited by Netminder; 09-30-2014 at 07:00 PM.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

HMMM! My first oil & filter change lasted about an hour or so. But not as long as thought it would take.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Default My comments in red

[QUOTE=Nudels2u75;882329]These spyders are Unreal
    I rememberd when I first purchased this thing new, Just to Install a New K&N air filter was a nightmare.....Unreal "
    This is the first time I change the oil, as I have always had it done at the shop.....Totally Unreal
    Just Installed New spark Plugs...Totally Unreal

I have probably owned close to or in the neighborhood of 100 motorcycles and have never had to go through this nightmare to do maintenance on a bike.....

I can just Imagine what the new 3 cyclinders would be like.....

The stealership had put the oil drian plug in so tight that is snapped the 6 MM allen head socket right off....I had to put a long allen wrench with a cheater pipe onto it to break it loose.....the little copper washer was destroyed......what an idiot had tighted a drain plug like that... "

If there is anybody out there with litle mechanicle skills do not attemt this at home, pay somebody to do the oil change and spark plugs....as much as I hate to say it send it to the local stealership, better yet find somebody close to you that has the experience to get -r-done

Maybe your not cut out to be a Spyder owner. Seems like your really down on the Spyder. If I have something that I felt that way about I'd get rid if it. Good luck.
    Last edited by StanProff; 09-30-2014 at 07:46 PM.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Default Sounds like..!!

you picked the wrong day to work on it. They are not as easy as those skeltal two wheelers but if you are not in a good mood to start with things can go sideways very easily. The drain plugs can be difficult. May have been overtightened but some oils with heat can crystalize like locktite. I find that putting the allen in place and tapping it with a hammer will brake it loose. If you set the time aside to do your oil change clean and check the area and taje your time you will find it quite satisfing. Do it in a rush and you will hate it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

I don't see the problem. I can change the oil and filter on my 2012 RT Ltd in about 30 minutes.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights