Spyder Garage

Default water bottle mod

I drink a lot of water and was trying to figure out a way to be able to drink while riding with a helmet.
    I took a 3/8 hose and mouthpiece from a backpack water bottle and inserted it into the bottle.
    It has a shut off so debris does not get in.

NOW I have a challenge to Bob, Finless. You seem to be very handy with electronics.
    I want to make a chiller for the water.
    I'm thinking, (I know that's a problem) that in aviation we take measurements, cool water, or heat water with bi-metal strips.
    I'm thinking that maybe that is something we could do.
    What do you think? Are you up to the challenge?
    Stefan

Spyder Garage

Ummmm probably not up to the challange but maybe a suggestion to look at.

You ever heard of a Peltier cooler?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling

They are used in simple 12 volt "cooler" applications. Like portable unit for between car seats etc...

They don't get super cold but they will cool about 40 degrees below ambient.

You could buy just the Peltier "device" and make your own thing or better yet if you google search "Peltier cooler" you can maybe find an off the shelf solution to hack up.

Here is a quick Google Search I did for you....
    https://www.google.com/search?q=pelt...oe=&gws_rd=ssl

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Also search foir this:

"Thermoelectric water bottle cooler"

Found this which looks promising

http://sell.lulusoso.com/selling-lea...le-Cooler.html

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Ummmm probably not up to the challange but maybe a suggestion to look at.

You ever heard of a Peltier cooler?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling

Bob
    This is very similar to what I was talking about
    Thanks,
    Stefan

Spyder Garage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Food-Mil...item19f211eb31
    possibly this. if we reverse the wires it should make it cold.

Spyder Garage

Take a look at what the military uses for the troops, Camelbak makes an insulated hydration pack, they even have insulated tubing for them. Living here in SC, summers can get pretty warm, having had heat stroke and knowing a lot about dehydration, I'd highly recommend it. I have a fairly large one that holds up to 2 liters, and the mouth of the bladder is wide enough to put ice into. I've ridden 200 miles in 95+/- temperatures, and the water is still very cold. It is a backpack that is really quite comfortable, there is a chest snap buckle that keeps it very secure. It is also possible to get a wired hose that can be placed into close proximity of the mouth, and accessing the hose is very convenient. It will fit under a jacket or vest and it becomes an air conditioner after a fashion.

Doc

Spyder Garage

I ordered a peltier plate and then I found this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-CUP-COO...8ba246&vxp=mtr
    I went ahead and bought this also
    I guess I have some modding to do

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep us updated! This project was on my "to do" list after my current project gets off the ground.

Be aware of the power consumption. The TEC coolers draw quite a bit of power - Mine is about 7 amps. It may be too much for the magneto to handle.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can fix you right up and you will have all the cold H2O you want for,
    are you ready...... $2.95 for a 20 lb. bag of ice from the store. works great
    when it melts you still have cold water to drink on the way to the store for more ice.....
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    I drink a lot of water and was trying to figure out a way to be able to drink while riding with a helmet.
    I took a 3/8 hose and mouthpiece from a backpack water bottle and inserted it into the bottle.
    It has a shut off so debris does not get in.

NOW I have a challenge to Bob, Finless. You seem to be very handy with electronics.
    I want to make a chiller for the water.
    I'm thinking, (I know that's a problem) that in aviation we take measurements, cool water, or heat water with bi-metal strips.
    I'm thinking that maybe that is something we could do.
    What do you think? Are you up to the challenge?
    Stefan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I can fix you right up and you will have all the cold H2O you want for,
    are you ready...... $2.95 for a 20 lb. bag of ice from the store. works great
    when it melts you still have cold water to drink on the way to the store for more ice.....
    Dave
    That's funny, but I will need to buy a trailer just to carry the ice.

Spyder Garage

I ordered a peltier plate and then I found this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-CUP-COO...8ba246&vxp=mtr
    I went ahead and bought this also
    I guess I have some modding to do
    I purchased this on the first and I received it yesterday on the 4th. Did they send it before I ordered it?
    Now to find the time to modify it and mount it on the Bike

Spyder Garage

I received the portable cooler and took it apart.20141005_225019.jpg20141005_225031.jpg20141005_225147.jpg
    I figure I don't need the fan or the heatsink since I will have air going past it to remove the heat.
    I will post again when I have time to work on this

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I received the portable cooler and took it apart.20141005_225019.jpg20141005_225031.jpg20141005_225147.jpg
    I figure I don't need the fan or the heatsink since I will have air going past it to remove the heat.
    I will post again when I have time to work on this
    I would keep the heat sink at least. The TEC cooler doesn't have enough surface area to dissipate the heat alone.
    In my experiment, I was able to get the cooler about 20 degrees cooler with a small CPU heat sink, and 40 blowing compressed air on the heat sink.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    I would keep the heat sink at least. The TEC cooler doesn't have enough surface area to dissipate the heat alone.
    In my experiment, I was able to get the cooler about 20 degrees cooler with a small CPU heat sink, and 40 blowing compressed air on the heat sink.
    Can I paint the heat sink with anything?
    What is the grease that they use to bond the plate?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can I paint the heat sink with anything?
    What is the grease that they use to bond the plate?
    Paint will insulate the heat sink. While it would probably still be better than NO heat sink, it will degrade the heat exchanging capabilities of the heat sink.

The grease is a Thermal conductor that improves the transfer of heat from the cooler to the heat sink. It won't bond (glue) the heatsink to the cooler, you would still need a mechanical connection, such as a clamp, spring or something.

There MAY be some sort of a thermal transferring adhesive out there, but I'm not aware of it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    Paint will insulate the heat sink. While it would probably still be better than NO heat sink, it will degrade the heat exchanging capabilities of the heat sink.

The grease is a Thermal conductor that improves the transfer of heat from the cooler to the heat sink. It won't bond (glue) the heatsink to the cooler, you would still need a mechanical connection, such as a clamp, spring or something.

There MAY be some sort of a thermal transferring adhesive out there, but I'm not aware of it.
    You can get either Thermal Paste (non-adhesive) or you can get Thermal Epoxy (usuall it comes in two parts you mix). Look up Arctic Silver... They make the best stuff.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You can get either Thermal Paste (non-adhesive) or you can get Thermal Epoxy (usuall it comes in two parts you mix). Look up Arctic Silver... They make the best stuff.

Bob
    thanks
    Stefan