Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JT's air filter

Spyder Garage

Default JT's air filter

I just had my dealer put on JT's air filter when he did my 4500 mile service. I was surprised at the complexity and size of the air box/resonater that came out. Now it's such a simple system.
    Can someone enlighten me to the thought process behind what was there verses what's there now?
    By the way, I love my new sound.
    thanks

Spyder Garage

Good service by your dealer. Most are hesitant to install non OEM parts. My dealer installed a SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner for me, no questions asked. My winter project is to put one on my , but I'm thinking of doing it myself rather than have the dealer do it. My dealer charges $99.00 per hour for labor, and I figure at least three hours, what with all of the tupperware to take off & put back, not to mention had darn hard it is to get that giant airbox out of an RT. If you don't mind posting it, how much did your dealer charge you to install it?
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=oldguyinCT;882552]Good service by your dealer. Most are hesitant to install non OEM parts. My dealer installed a SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner for me, no questions asked. My winter project is to put one on my , but I'm thinking of doing it myself rather than have the dealer do it. My dealer charges $99.00 per hour for labor, and I figure at least three hours, what with all of the tupperware to take off & put back, not to mention had darn hard it is to get that giant airbox out of an RT. If you don't mind posting it, how much did your dealer charge you to install it?[/QUOTE

My dealer definitely gave me a break. I had my 4500 service and JT's air filter installed for $347 I was there for 4 hours. I'm not sure they had done this before although they were aware of the difficulty in removing the air box,etc. He told me it would have no effect on my warranty.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=golfsferr;882563]
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Good service by your dealer. Most are hesitant to install non OEM parts. My dealer installed a SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner for me, no questions asked. My winter project is to put one on my , but I'm thinking of doing it myself rather than have the dealer do it. My dealer charges $99.00 per hour for labor, and I figure at least three hours, what with all of the tupperware to take off & put back, not to mention had darn hard it is to get that giant airbox out of an RT. If you don't mind posting it, how much did your dealer charge you to install it?[/QUOTE

My dealer definitely gave me a break. I had my 4500 service and JT's air filter installed for $347 I was there for 4 hours. I'm not sure they had done this before although they were aware of the difficulty in removing the air box,etc. He told me it would have no effect on my warranty.
    Boy you did get a break! Good for you! Sounds like your dealer understands the meaning of "Customer Service".
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

What was there before was to pass EPA and sound restrictions. And make a place to put an air filter that was reasonably accessible for replacement .

The JT filter is more efficient, last longer and easier to change the element...IMO anyway.

Too noisy for some (one reason the factory didn't do it) and too open to pass EPA regulations.

I'm sure all this info is wrong according to somebody so take it as you wish.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    What was there before was to pass EPA and sound restrictions. And make a place to put an air filter that was reasonably accessible for replacement .

The JT filter is more efficient, last longer and easier to change the element...IMO anyway.

Too noisy for some (one reason the factory didn't do it) and too open to pass EPA regulations.

I'm sure all this info is wrong according to somebody so take it as you wish.

Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

Snoopy..
    they have to meet restriction especially to reach all 50 states. If simplified they would have to make different models for "like California". You now have a great system and your spyder will thank you for it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

When I put JT's air filter on my wife's STL she did find it noisy but then I put on the pre-filter and she loves the sound. Without the pre-filter you could hear the air intake and a buzzing sound from the injectors.

Spyder Garage

Default Air Filter

I just ordered the sound filter today. My filter makes a loud sound between 4K and 5K rpms....stay tuned....

Spyder Garage

I also have the pre-filter and I find the resulting sounds rewarding and more like a sophisticated set up.

Spyder Garage

Price is high, but likely worth it. Does anyone know if this causes any issues with warrantee?
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Default NO

Quote Originally Posted by GunDoctor View Post
    Price is high, but likely worth it. Does anyone know if this causes any issues with warrantee?

According to my dealer. I asked him to check with BRP and (if I understood correctly) as long as you do not restrict the airflow or CFM more than the stock air box you are good to go. There is NO WAY JT's system is restricting airflow.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. Thinking for my girlfriends 2011 RSS. How difficult to R&R?

Spyder Garage

It took me about 1/2 hour to get out ALL of the airbox. Watch out, they put zip ties all over the place. JT's air filter took me about another 1/2 to put in.

Spyder Garage

Default JT's air filter

Thanks for the heads up on the zip ties. So how many components are there to buy?

Spyder Garage

I asked my dealer also and he was very reassuring that this procedure had no effect on the warranty!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up on the zip ties. So how many components are there to buy?
    The Air Filter Kit comes complete with almost everything you need except some high temp sealer. The Pre-Filter is an add on to reduce the throttle body sound.

JT

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I meant to ask where to purchase?

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know if this causes any issues with warrantee?

This is a question that gets asked about non-OEM mods all the time. In the US warranty is covered by the Moss Magnusson Act, basically says that manufacturers cannot void your warranty just because you have used non-OEM parts. If it can be shown that the non-OEM part has caused the damage, then of course the damage would not be covered by warranty. But having a non-BRP trailer hitch would not void the warranty on a radio issue, for example.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the warranty lesson....excellent info to know. Always felt this was just a scare to force OEM part use. There is so many BETTER options when aftermarket minds get the opportunity to make good stuff better.

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I meant to ask where to purchase?
    You can purchase them from me, just click on the link in my signature to go to JT's Spyder Accessories.

JT

Spyder Garage

Nice, thanks.

Spyder Garage

Found this in service book. Any concerns on the warning that modification can affect performance and air mixture issues?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412287229.172305.jpg

Spyder Garage

Found this in service book. Any concerns on the warning that modification can affect performance and air mixture issues?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412287229.172305.jpg
    NOPE!! I have about 8000 miles on since I installed JT's air filter and no negative effects at all. Maybe slightly better performance & fuel mileage.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS