Thread: Gorilla Alarm

Spyder Garage

Default Gorilla Alarm

I want to put an alarm on my Spyder to keep the curious at bay. Can someone with a Gorilla alarm give me their opinion of the unit. Where does it best mount on a RT? Any info on competitors products is also welcome.

cheers

Kevin
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gorilla Alarm is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobey View Post
    I want to put an alarm on my Spyder to keep the curious at bay. Can someone with a Gorilla alarm give me their opinion of the unit. Where does it best mount on a RT? Any info on competitors products is also welcome.

cheers

Kevin
    Hi, Kevin:
    I've been using the Gorilla alarm on my bikes since they first came out. Bikes: Honda C X 500, Honda GoldWing, Suzuki Burgman, Yamaha FJR 1300 AE, and my 2011 Spyder RT-S SE-5. I found that there are a lot of very easy mounting locations on the Spyder, but they do NOT allow the siren to be heard at its' loudest. One of the most difficult places to mount it is in the well behind the radiator and cooling fan. But, it is the best I have found. After trying to mount it in the frunk, and behind the seat (on the outside of the rear trunk), the well behind the radiator and cooling fan was the best location. It's nearly invisible in there, and the siren can be heard inside most nearby buildings. It's location, in there, doesn't seem to effect cooling, either. Good luck with it. You will like the Gorilla alarm.
    Ride Safe,
    CapNCrunch : =)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get ourself a BIG one...

King Kong.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Get ourself a BIG one...

King Kong.jpg
    But then I would have to ride naked....and I wouldn't need an alarm to keep people away....wait a minute ....that is the solution!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you gonna wear heated boots?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Are you gonna wear heated boots?
    Running shoes...might need them!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Alarming trend, right there

Who would ever have thought...
    That leaving a sign on the bike seat would be enough to deter thieves...

image.jpg

But it Works...

Chas

Spyder Garage

I had a Scorpio i900 on both my RTs and this is where I mounted them. I alarms work great to deter people from messing or sitting on your bike. This is where I mounted mine.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64950-i900-Alarm-on-14-RTS&highlight=I900
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stevedfive; 10-01-2014 at 09:57 AM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    I had a Scorpio i900 on both my RTs and this is where I mounted them. I alarms work great to deter people from messing or sitting on your bike.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64950-i900-Alarm-on-14-RTS&highlight=I900

Thanks Steve!

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a Scorpio i900 on both my RTs and this is where I mounted them. I alarms work great to deter people from messing or sitting on your bike.

I can't believe that someone would actually sit on someones bike, how could people be that stupid & still
    have enough brain cells to breathe without life support?!

Spyder Garage

Here's what happened to me. I rode my RT to the supermarket and went inside. I came out 15 mins later and observed a guy sitting on my bike. I walked up to him and said, Nice bike, is it yours? He replied, No. I said, What do you drive? He said, That truck over there. I asked him, Can I see your keys? He replied, Why? I said, Cause you are sitting on my bike, so I thought I would go sit in your truck. Now get the F&@% off my bike! He got off and walked over to his truck and left. This is why I got the alarm.

Kevin, anytime my friend.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...And they're breeding WAY faster than we are...

Spyder Garage

Lol.. the poor guy asked for advice for a Gorilla alarm............ I installed my Gorilla on the left hand saddle bag where the XM Radio would go. It really works great for a simple install. I did not use the mercury switch, just the alarm and shock senser which I mounted in the void under my center glove box, left side as well.

Spyder Garage

Sorry, is the story out of line?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I liked it...

It shows why dimwits like me, shouldn't get in the way of showing the importance of an alarm on one's bike...

Steve, you're NOT a Dimwit...
    That's MY job!

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You are doing very well too.
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Spyder Garage

Story most welcome. It supports the need for an alarm especially if one leaves the Spyder parked in a tourist area. They use to line up to take a picture to send back home of "their new Harley". They only leaned against the bike. I can see them climbing on a Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I also bought the perimeter sensor. That is the best. If closer than 3 feet for 5/10 seconds it goes off.

Spyder Garage

I've had two of them. They worked fine until I had my Spyder serviced at the dealer in Kennasaw, Ga. They were dead after that. I think they killed my trailer module too, but I can't prove it.
    I'd like to send both alarms back to the Gorilla people so they tell me what went wrong with them?

Spyder Garage

No, lol.. not at all, I just noticed that all the replies failed to address the actual question, lol

Spyder Garage

I have the Gorilla alarm and it works OK. I first installed it on a 09GS and when I traded it in, I Installed it into a 13ST. I installed it in the tail section both times. First instal in the 09 I learned that the alarm must be installed solid to the Spyder. Don't use the velcro that comes with it. The shock sensor just does not work worth a darn that way. When you set the sensitivity so that when people touch it, it goes off, heavy trucks going by can set it off. For that reason I use warn away mode. It just gives a single load chirp if someone touches it. Even in warn away mode if someone push down on the brake pedal full alarm will sound.
    The next time I trade I will be going to an alarm with a proximity function.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I installed the Spy 5000 MC alarm (Got it for $89 on Ebay new). It's basically the same Alarm as Steve's Scorpio i900 (hooks up the same and has the same features). It was pretty easy. Only thing I did not even try to get working was the remote start and remote kill.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black