Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=DR Buck;882837]I don't see the problem. I can change the oil and filter on my 2012 RT Ltd in about 30 minutes. [/QUO

I take over 3 hours and have been doing it every 5,000 miles since my first Spyder in 2008. I now have 94,000 miles combined, 51,000 miles on my last one, a 2010 RT. So do the math for how many times I have done the oil change. But I enjoy it, I am never in a hurry, look the underneath of the Tupperware really carefully, Simple Green the engine, look for any excessive external oil, etc. I love the Spyder, it's my only passion.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default I AGREE

SORRY -I have to agree with the said statement. from owning one for about 2 yrs. now, I can say by experience that this 2012 spyder RT se5 has alotsa poor engineer faults.
    to name a few;
    gas smell
    incredibly hot
    oil leaks
    running lean (vacuum hoses n what notz)
    boiling gas
    brakes squeal and vibrate (they say its normal) (but then they tell me all of this is NORMAL)
    other then that --I love riding this bike!
    I am willing to bet I have a lemon, because its been in the service shop more times that I can count - 10x to be exact!
    as far as doing my own maintenance.....no way.

Spyder Garage

Default I ride over 50K miles a year every year, all year long

As I only purchased this spyder for a winter bike, As I can not pick my other ones up...
    Not sure if you have done your spark plug wires, and new plugs yet-----Don't try this at home...

I do not like taking any of my bikes to the stealerships, as I usually end up correcting their mistakes

It is not only your spyder, as I have had mine in the shop about 10x for warranty work also and I have less then 20k miles on it..

It also appears the front head may be leaking oil, as it is running down my front cyclinder, not sure why that was not noticed the last time I had the oil changed at stealership, less then 5K miles ago...

Also I just noticed the compartment where your air goes into the breather box had about a 1/2 pint of oil in it yesterday...I had to get a sponge and get it out of there...

Also my rear brakes burn out about every 5K miles and they do not know why...LOL

Stealership favorite saying is ...CAN NOT DUPLICATE...LOL

Spyder Garage

Your oil leak is one and the same thing. It has been covered many times here on SL. It is excessive blow-by from the crankcase vent into the airbox. If you lower your oil level by 1/2 quart it will go away. Easy peasy.

As to how hard to work on...... Stay away from a Honda VFR if you want hard to work on. Just say'n.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Honda does have New 3 wheeler set up like spyder

Honda does have New 3 wheeler set up like spyder, with the 2 wheels in the front 1800CC Goldwing...Conversion Kit

And just released a new QUAD 1800CC Goldwing..Conversion Kit

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...And since it's not a kit from Honda; good luck finding somebody to work on your bike... or have any warranty work done.
    We've already seen them...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

. . . whoops . . . apparently, I logged into SpyderHaters, not SpyderLovers . . . how did that happen . . . I thought it was bookmarked . . . I need coffee . . .
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But remember:
    Everybody is entitled to an opinion...

Spyder Garage

I agree. I have worked on many other vehicles other than the Spyder. Some are easier but the Spyder is not that bad. Given its configuration, I really have no complaints on ease of service. An oil change on my GT is a 4 hour affair that involves 132 screws. Spyder is much easier than that. I love them both.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have done my 2nd and 3rd oil changes myself. First time it took about 2 hours as I took my time and learned. 2nd time took me 40 minutes and this included R&R of the panels. I am not trying to brag here but it is not that hard in my opinion.

You want to do something hard, try installing the tri-axis handle bars yourself!
    Now that is what I consider moderately hard.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default maintenance - not

I just don't have it in me, I'd rather pay to have it done - maybe I am tooo phatt , old and pure lazy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We must be Twins...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Nudels2u75 View Post
    The ST does not have all of the Bells and Whistles,
    Look under the hood of the Limited with all of the Xtra's on it
    ....Just one Big Nightmare
    Most Uncomfortable thing I have ever riden
    I currently own 3 Tour bikes 2012 White Limited With the matching trailer,
    with over 10K of xtra's on them 2014 CVO Limited Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle
    2010 Honda Goldwing with about 10K of xtra's 2 late model sport bikes 2 vintage bikes
    NONE of these bikes have to be dismanteled to do maintenance....
    I also ride about 50K miles a year or more, so I do quite a bit of maintenance weekly...

Well, it seems that there's nothing right about the Spyder! A few people here might disagree, however.
    Still, your avid dislike begs a question or two:
    WHY on Earth did you buy it in the first place and WHY have you still got it??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Be nice to hear a dealer mechanic ring in, since they do it day in and day out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It WOULD be nice to catch that perspective...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GunDoctor View Post
    Be nice to hear a dealer mechanic ring in, since they do it day in and day out.
    Wouldn't Lamont fall in that category, now ?. . . he seems to love the Spyder . . . as do I.
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why yes, yes he would. I know if he had more thumbs he would up them all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    I don't see the problem. I can change the oil and filter on my 2012 RT Ltd in about 30 minutes.
    Love it but can you detail your work, please coz it took me longer than that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nudels2u75 View Post
    These spyders are Unreal,
    I rememberd when I first purchased this thing new, Just to Install a New K&N air filter was a nightmare.....Unreal
    This is the first time I change the oil, as I have always had it done at the shop.....Totally Unreal
    Just Installed New spark Plugs...Totally Unreal

I have probably owned close to or in the neighborhood of 100 motorcycles and have never had to go through this nightmare to do maintenance on a bike.....

I can just Imagine what the new 3 cyclinders would be like.....

The stealership had put the oil drian plug in so tight that is snapped the 6 MM allen head socket right off....I had to put a long allen wrench with a cheater pipe onto it to break it loose.....the little copper washer was destroyed......what an idiot had tighted a drain plug like that...

If there is anybody out there with litle mechanicle skills do not attemt this at home, pay somebody to do the oil change and spark plugs....as much as I hate to say it send it to the local stealership, better yet find somebody close to you that has the experience to get -r-done
    I just did my oil change and I agree that it was pain in the fanny but I did it with less panel removed and I'm lucky the drain bolt was not too tight like yours. The tools in the pouch are not enough for me but I have more than enough I own. Most importantly I enjoyed what I did and learned more about my Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Love my Spyder and at least my RSS is a piece of cake to work on , this is not a complicated machine at all to work on. RTs do have a few more panels but it's just a different procedure for taking it apart and once you done it a couple of times it shouldn't be a issue to get apart. If your unhappy with your spyder then maybe move back to something your more familiar and comfortable with but, it's not nice to dis the machine just because it takes you a lot of time to get things apart, they are a well made and well thought out bike. If your unhappy with your dealer find another.

Spyder Garage

Default oddity

I WISHED I had a spy camera on me today, I went and had an hour long chat with service manager about my spyder this morning.
    2x in his conversation he stated or implied poorly engineered spyder ( my RT in reference). imagine that! he ended the conversation by
    saying '' I sure hope we got all the bugs fixed and have a good day''... but pick up your spyder in a couple of days.
    YEAH I love my spyder tooo but -it's not WELL made and certainly not WELL thought off !
    my rant is for my particular case and may not apply to others.

Spyder Garage

Default I only purchased this for a winter bike

When you ride to work in the winter @ 17 below, it does not work out well on 2 wheels, and that is not even dropping in the chill/wind/rain/snow/sleet factors....As I am not able to hold up any of my other bikes in the winter months

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazyspyder View Post
    I WISHED I had a spy camera on me today, I went and had an hour long chat with service manager about my spyder this morning.
    2x in his conversation he stated or implied poorly engineered spyder ( my RT in reference). imagine that! he ended the conversation by
    saying '' I sure hope we got all the bugs fixed and have a good day''... but pick up your spyder in a couple of days.
    YEAH I love my spyder tooo but -it's not WELL made and certainly not WELL thought off !
    my rant is for my particular case and may not apply to others.
    If you push enough buttons; you can make anybody show their frustration...
    You need a more competent Service Manager; the old one should go back to the Fast-Food Industry for empolyment again...

Spyder Garage

Default yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you push enough buttons; you can make anybody show their frustration...
    You need a more competent Service Manager; the old one should go back to the Fast-Food Industry for employment again...
    n soon this will be behind me and I will be grinning from ear to ear
    riding my favorite bike. have a good day and a good ride!