Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Way2Fast

Default Spyder....A Poor Performer?

Articals that give actual performance figures for the Spyder are few and far between. As a matter of fact, the only one I was able to locate was the test by MSN Autos...First Ride BRP Can-Am Spyder. This was a review/test of an SE5 model fitted with a Hindle exhaust. The 1/4 mile was run in 14.1 seconds with a speed of 98.5mph. Braking 60-0 took 146 feet. For a vehicle with a dry weight of under 697 lbs and 110 reported hp (Hindle saves weight and adds 4 hp), these figures, if accurate, are downright depressing ! In the world of motorcycles they make the Spyder one of the poorest performing bikes on the road. (not counting sub 250 cc scooters) My v-twin Yamaha Raider with 85.9hp and whose weight is equal to the Spyder does the quarter in 12.09 sec @ 108.14 mph. Even the grossly underpowered Harley Rocker (671 lbs dry,63 hp) runs the 1/4 in 13.30 sec @ 98.12 mph. Most sub 600 cc bikes will litterly run circles around the Spyder.

Do we dare compare automobiles with the Spyder? According to the test summary of autos tested in Road and Track consisting of some 128 cars, NONE take as many feet to stop from 60 mph !!! The worse auto tested is a Lincoln Mark 7....with a 141 foot 60-0 braking distance (5 feet shorter than the Spyder) The average distance is in the 120 foot range with a best of just 105 feet. This is quite alarming. Makes me remember never to tailgate when riding on my Spyder.

Forty two autos out of the 128 tested, take longer to do the 1/4 mile than the Spyder. Some that perform similiar to the Spyder are: Cobalt SS 14 sec @ 101.8 mph, Honda Accord 14.5 sec @ 99.8, Altima 14.2 @ 101.2, Solstice GXP 14 sec @ 99.3 mph and the Infinity G37 14.1 sec @ 102.5 mph. Maybe, contrary to what I read, the SE5 is slower than the manual model ?

Since I didn't purchase my Spyder to drag race, I find it powerful enough for everyday riding. What really concerns me is the below par stopping distance. If the figures are true, it borders on being downright dangerous !

What do other owners think ??

Richard

Spyder Garage

I have to question the stopping distance figures. Although I haven't measured it, I know the Spyder will stop so quickly that I have trouble holding on to the handlebars in a panic stop (I have a bad left arm that affects this). In fact I cannot use full braking without being prepared ahead of time. In the few panic stops I,ve had to make, I have to back off on the pedal pressure to maintain my position on the bike.

Just my observations.

Mike
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I think you're right, it's a slow dangerous piece of junk. You should sell it ASAP before the bottom falls out on these things.

Spyder Garage

[quote=mike3069;54279]I have to question the stopping distance figures. Although I haven't measured it, I know the Spyder will stop so quickly that I have trouble holding on to the handlebars in a panic stop (I have a bad left arm that affects this). In fact I cannot use full braking without being prepared ahead of time. In the few panic stops I,ve had to make, I have to back off on the pedal pressure to maintain my position on the bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I think you're right, it's a slow dangerous piece of junk. You should sell it ASAP before the bottom falls out on these things.
    Get rid of it quick!

I'll give you $1595.00 cash now!
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

You need to read some real world testing

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=10

I started at the back of the pack and when we got to the top of the mountain I was waiting on my 110hp+ friends to show.

Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    Articals that give actual performance figures for the Spyder are few and far between. As a matter of fact, the only one I was able to locate was the test by MSN Autos...First Ride BRP Can-Am Spyder. This was a review/test of an SE5 model fitted with a Hindle exhaust. The 1/4 mile was run in 14.1 seconds with a speed of 98.5mph. Braking 60-0 took 146 feet. For a vehicle with a dry weight of under 697 lbs and 110 reported hp (Hindle saves weight and adds 4 hp), these figures, if accurate, are downright depressing ! In the world of motorcycles they make the Spyder one of the poorest performing bikes on the road. (not counting sub 250 cc scooters) My v-twin Yamaha Raider with 85.9hp and whose weight is equal to the Spyder does the quarter in 12.09 sec @ 108.14 mph. Even the grossly underpowered Harley Rocker (671 lbs dry,63 hp) runs the 1/4 in 13.30 sec @ 98.12 mph. Most sub 600 cc bikes will litterly run circles around the Spyder.

Do we dare compare automobiles with the Spyder? According to the test summary of autos tested in Road and Track consisting of some 128 cars, NONE take as many feet to stop from 60 mph !!! The worse auto tested is a Lincoln Mark 7....with a 141 foot 60-0 braking distance (5 feet shorter than the Spyder) The average distance is in the 120 foot range with a best of just 105 feet. This is quite alarming. Makes me remember never to tailgate when riding on my Spyder.

Forty two autos out of the 128 tested, take longer to do the 1/4 mile than the Spyder. Some that perform similiar to the Spyder are: Cobalt SS 14 sec @ 101.8 mph, Honda Accord 14.5 sec @ 99.8, Altima 14.2 @ 101.2, Solstice GXP 14 sec @ 99.3 mph and the Infinity G37 14.1 sec @ 102.5 mph. Maybe, contrary to what I read, the SE5 is slower than the manual model ?

Since I didn't purchase my Spyder to drag race, I find it powerful enough for everyday riding. What really concerns me is the below par stopping distance. If the figures are true, it borders on being downright dangerous !

What do other owners think ??

Richard

I remember seeing the 14.1 - 1/4 mile time and thought, hmm that seems slow. I remember seeing 1/4 mile times in the high 12's I thought. A much more respectable #, except when compared to the crotch rockets. I'd like to see an experienced rider give it a go. I have a hard time believing they couldn't run atleast low 13's.

Spyder Garage

You forgot to compare it to your chinese scooter....again.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Everything is relative. I personally couldn’t be happier with the Spyder. My 2 cents.
    Full Moon SE5 - Sport Rack, Sport/Touring Windshield, Backrest, 1" Riser

Spyder Garage

This was the first "official" test I have seen, and it was disappointing. I have seen another 14 second run reported, several 13s, and one high 12. All were at slightly less than 100 mph. I am not surprised at the variation in ETs, as the Spyder would be a handful to get out of the hole smartly, without burning the tire, or kicking in the VSS. Handling the launch with kid gloves has to hurt the times.

The mile per hour readings, which translate into weight vs. horsepower are the most bothersome. We all complain that the Spyder is geared too low, but it doesn't approach its possible, or rated, top speed in the quarter. Seems if it is geared too low, it would be optimal for the strip. Odd! All-in-all, it makes you wonder how the heck anyone could manage 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, or if BRP merely made that up. I have always thought it would be difficult to achieve due to lack of traction.

As to stopping distances, I have to agree that the stopping ability sure seems to be better than that in real life. I don't think I have a motorcycle that will stop in the same distance and remain stable. I'm certain my F-150 pickup won't, but maybe I am misjudging that since I don't have to hang on for dear life. Sure would like to see test data from another source to confirm such lackluster numbers.

The rambling ends here...you may return to your regularly scheduled program.
    -Scotty

Way2Fast

Why do so many "lovers" want to immediately start a fight ?? I was providing info from the MSN test. I have no idea if it is accurate or not. I compared their test results to the that of other motor vehicles as reported in Road and Track and Cycle World. I wanted to get the opinions of others not start an argument ! Why is it that with all the articals written on the Spyder not one took the effort to prove or disprove BRP's claim of a 4.5 sec 0-60 speed. The full performance figures are almost always provided during tests of other motorcycles.

Way2Fast

Scotty hits the nail on the head !!

Richard

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    You need to read some real world testing

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=10

I started at the back of the pack and when we got to the top of the mountain I was waiting on my 110hp+ friends to show.

The artical I mentioned didn't do a test on a winding hilly road. How the Spyder handles on such a course wasn't part of the discussion. The 109's are not noted for their agility or sport bike handling, so it is no surprise they would be left behind.

Richard

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    You forgot to compare it to your chinese scooter....again.

Ahhhhhh.....but I did....I said the test results in question showed the Spyder to be slow EXCEPT when compared to sub 250 cc SCOOTERS !!!

Spyder Garage

Why do so many "lovers" want to immediately start a fight ?? I was providing info from the MSN test. I have no idea if it is accurate or not. I compared their test results to the that of other motor vehicles as reported in Road and Track and Cycle World. I wanted to get the opinions of others not start an argument ! Why is it that with all the articals written on the Spyder not one took the effort to prove or disprove BRP's claim of a 4.5 sec 0-60 speed. The full performance figures are almost always provided during tests of other motorcycles.
    o ya??? hahahahahah people like to defend what they like ..... i hate my ex wife a few like her i beg to differ .... but i've never argued with the few people with bad taste ....
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Performance

I suspect that perhaps the MSN tester's Spyder was not yet broken in. New brakes and tires would effect stopping times and a tight engine would effect acceleration. I picked up my yellow SE5 last Saturday morning with 3 miles on the odo and the initial impression as I rode it home was that it seemed sluggish in both accleration and braking. Now that I have almost 200 miles on it, it seems like an entirely different (better) machine. Some of that of course is my gaining confidence in my ability to ride it more fully to it's potential.

In any case, it suits me just fine. I did not buy it to race it or attempt to out brake BMW's.

Dennis in Maryland
    The Krusty Old Phart
    Still burnin' turnin' and lurnin'
    2008 Can AM Spyder Yellow SE5
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9949290@N02

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

1/4 mile times and especially stopping distances have A LOT to do with tires and traction. If the tires haven't got enough grip you're gonna get lousy times. Try a different brand of tire and you'll see both figures improve.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well I speak for me when I say - F**K those who don't have one and want to cast stones. Yeah for those of us that do. I have owned my share of bikes , from Sport tourers to a GoldWing and full dress Harley. Every bike has there own mark on the wall of fame, but as for FUN - Nothing I have ever ridden comes close. The Spyder is fantastic. By the way, if I wanted to corner hard I would have bought a 911 Porsche or similar ( did own a Saab 900 Turbo) If I wanted a drag bike, I would have a V-Max (personal favorite) or maybe a Warrior. But I didn't, and really...I dont care that it is as slow as a 250cc scooter, or does not take corners like a Ferrari - "Its my Party and I'll cry if I want to" - tears of happiness that is! Thats my story and I'm stickin too it!

Spyder Garage

Not sure why you feel there's an argument here. Just comments in regard to performance. Ypu have pulled together some interesting information for us to compare. I certainly feel the way you do. Why are there no more independent tests than this one? If you took offense to anything I said, I apologize. I'm not sure why, but I'm sorry anyway.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

To compare the spyder with 3 wheels to a 4 wheeled vehicle isn't exactly right - 4 points of contact compared to 3. Not exactly sure why they did that but I would also have to agree with others here - it seems to stop on a dime when I hit the brakes.

Also, with performance - admittedly I have put on the new O2 sensor, the high performance air filter, the hindle, and took out the air jam - but anyone who has "revved" by me at a stop light where I was waiting at the red and they were giving me the "ha ha ha" as they drove by - well, they all ate my dust. I had a woman on a harley bike next to me at a light today on the way home - i was just taking it easy.. gave her a wave... nothing from her. The light turns green and I move forward and I hear her really winding up in first and I think "oh really.." - she moves ahead because I was just doing a normal start but by the time she hit 50 I blew past her doing 75. I then slowed down so she could catch up (and pass actually - the speed limit was closer to 45 than 75 ) and I just smiled and waved again. Disclaimer: no one in front of us, fairly empty road - safe driving conditions. I don't ever challenge but if somone wants to test the spyder, who am I to resist.

Spyder Garage

Well..... mine keeps up more than enough w/ the Harley dudes I ride with.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I would not want my Spyder to stop any shorter. The few times I have tested it in parking lots in case I need to do an emergency stop, I had to fight to keep from going over the bars. Hard stop in a car is aided by four wheels, seated position behind a steering wheel, seat belt and feet braced on the brake and floor. Trying to counteract hard braking forces on the Spyder from the perch above the handlebars is completely different. I just give myself extra room ahead whenever I can and even though it's not a two wheeler, know that I have some maneuverability I don't have in a car.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JPoehlman View Post
    I suspect that perhaps the MSN tester's Spyder was not yet broken in. New brakes and tires would effect stopping times and a tight engine would effect acceleration. I picked up my yellow SE5 last Saturday morning with 3 miles on the odo and the initial impression as I rode it home was that it seemed sluggish in both accleration and braking. Now that I have almost 200 miles on it, it seems like an entirely different (better) machine. Some of that of course is my gaining confidence in my ability to ride it more fully to it's potential.

In any case, it suits me just fine. I did not buy it to race it or attempt to out brake BMW's.

Dennis in Maryland
    The Krusty Old Phart
    Still burnin' turnin' and lurnin'
    2008 Can AM Spyder Yellow SE5
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9949290@N02
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Seems like most "tests" are one day things, where the tester gets on, rides for a while, gets off, and writes the article. How can they possibly know what a Spyder is capable of? Ryde it for a month, or two, or six, and come back and tell people what you think. Most of us here have taken time to get used to our rydes; I for one will admit I'm still finding out what I can do with mine, and no test rider will come close in one day.
    Wow, all this and no soap box!