Thread: BATTERY FLOAT

Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY FLOAT

somebody here on SL mentioned 'Winter Storage' of their SPYD3R the other day, and how to maintain their battery....
    well look what
    HARBOR FREIGHT is advertising for the October sales promotion;

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...ger-61911.html

you will need to print the coupon and show it upon purchase, or if you order it by mail, you will need to tell them the advertised price or $19.99 and
    Lot NO. 61911... but it's ONLY GOOD in October 2014 guys n gals....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Certainly cheaper than a Battery Tender (brand name) but harder to hook up. I got the 12v plug adapter for mine, and plug it directly into the 12v plug in the rear cargo compartment. I switched the fuse to make that outlet "hot" all of the time. Your owners manual can tell you how to do this. That way it sends charging power to the battery, and you never have to access the battery. It looks to me from the pictures that the Battery Tender adapter would work just fine with the charger from Harbor Freight. I think it was about $10.00. Add them together, and it's still cheaper. I'd give it a try, if I did not already have one.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I would recommend one that is properly set up for AGM batteries rather than wet cell standard batteries.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Winter storage here in Florida is "ride your Spyder at least 350 miles per week to keep the battery charged....and try for 500 per week to keep it really well charged
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    Winter storage here in Florida is "ride your Spyder at least 350 miles per week to keep the battery charged....and try for 500 per week to keep it really well charged
    Yeah Doc, we have the same problem here. Oh well, just have to suffer through it

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That is exactly what I use when not riding the spyder both summer and winter but I use the BATTERY TENDER brand
    I use the waterproof battery tender and put a pig tail on the battery terminals and also use the cigarette lighter adapter and hook plug it into the rear power outlet as I have mine fused for always on.

http://batterytender.com/waterproof-...emisphere.html

Spyder Garage

Don't waste your money on a cheap tender! get the real thing. You won't regret it!
    3:16

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have been disappointed in every purchase I've made from Harbor Freight. Their products always sound good, but don't last very long. When it comes to your battery, there's only one way to go. Battery Tender. A few dollars saved now won't mean much when you have to buy a new battery in the spring.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Default REAL THING

Quote Originally Posted by mtdoragary View Post
    Don't waste your money on a cheap tender! get the real thing. You won't regret it!
    REAL THING.....????????
    I'VE GOT 4 OF THESE OF VARIOUS CONFIGURATIONS FROM HARBOR FREIGHT....
    ALL ARE FROM 1 TO 5 YEARS OLD.... EVERYONE OF THEM ARE STILL WORKING, WITH NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER.....
    1. SPYD3R
    2. JOHN DEERE TRACTOR
    3. UTILITY TRAILER
    4. HOT ROD

Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I got the 12v plug adapter for mine, and plug it directly into the 12v plug in the rear cargo compartment. I switched the fuse to make that outlet "hot" all of the time. Your owners manual can tell you how to do this. That way it sends charging power to the battery, and you never have to access the battery.
    I have set up both of my RTs this way and it works great. And it's super simple. At the charge rate of the maintainer series of chargers, this method works great.

I went ahead and invested in the Genius series of chargers for better feedback- http://www.geniuschargers.com/G3500
    I do have a 7200 for special situations, but it cannot be fed through the trunk outlet. 7.5a is too much for that circuit to handle on constant load- http://www.geniuschargers.com/G7200

This is a little off topic, but still on batteries- I started one of our RTs that other day from 100% DEAD with one of these-- http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/micro-start-xp-1/ . I attest to the fact that it is a GREAT power source for emergencies!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    REAL THING.....????????
    I'VE GOT 4 OF THESE OF VARIOUS CONFIGURATIONS FROM HARBOR FREIGHT....
    ALL ARE FROM 1 TO 5 YEARS OLD.... EVERYONE OF THEM ARE STILL WORKING, WITH NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER.....
    1. SPYD3R
    2. JOHN DEERE TRACTOR
    3. UTILITY TRAILER
    4. HOT ROD

Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    I've had three from Harbor Freight and none of them made it six months.
    3:16

Spyder Garage

I have one on my Vulcan been on for a year.Battery has to be at full charge when put on,will maintain but wont charge

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    Thanks for reminding me Doc, I need to go for a Ryde!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Great thanks can use another one of those

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

While I certainly enjoy the Florida option of ride, ride, ride, work will limit that somewhat.

My experience with Battery Minder products has been excellent. Saving many aircraft batteries and never a missed flight from a battery induced problem while on the proper Battery Minder.

Plan is to spend more and get this model with the temp sensor.

http://www.batteryminders.com/batter...er-desulfator/

Regardless, seomething is usually better than nothing.

Being totally honest, when I could not take it anymore of my neighbor spend hours trying to start his Harley, I went over for a look. Carb was plugged up bad. Fixed that and asked what the lamp wires twisted together were. He explained they were for his battery tender. He showed me the little POS and the crap wire job. I explained that at a minimum he wrap the exposed wires in black tape.

Couple days later a Harbor Freight Catalog arrived, gave it to him and suggest he run that over his current setup, and be certain no exposed wires. So yes, I am willing to suggest an economical device if applicable. Neighbor had different ideas, bought some other POS for less than HF. I had to go home.

PK
    Last edited by PMK; 09-29-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here's the charger I use..just a guess as to what battery I use

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jScotD View Post
    Should be a very nice setup. Battery and charger from the same company, with a battery that gets some good right ups.

PK