Spyder Garage

Question Need Your Opinion/Help

I am new to the Spyder World and looking to buy but need your help. I have been doing research and reading the very informative threads on this site and need further input. Is the "heat issue" only on the 2013 models or is on prior years also? I am looking to buy a ST or RT model.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Spyder Garage

The predominate heat issues are with the 13' but some previous years have heat issues as well. We have a 11' RTS and have the heat issue. As far as the ST goes, there have been a few that have stated the heat issue but were able to get BRP to swap their plastics out for an upgraded version which apparently flows the heat away better and those riders have stated that it has helped from what I have read.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's actually two different issues with heat.
    The most serious one, is pretty unique to the 2013 RT & ST models. Exhaust heat would actually melt important componenets underneath the bodywork...
    The second; is one of the perception of heat by the rider... Some folks swear that the heat coming from the radiator was causing blisters.
    The troubling thing about this one; it's tough to assess any one persons' perception of heat. What were they wearing, and under what conditions were they riding.
    The 2013s are GREAT bikes; just make sure that the updates have been performed. It also is a good idea to add some insulating material around the gas tank, and also wrapping the exhaust system is a good idea.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaRae View Post
    I am new to the Spyder World and looking to buy but need your help. I have been doing research and reading the very informative threads on this site and need further input. Is the "heat issue" only on the 2013 models or is on prior years also? I am looking to buy a ST or RT model.

Heat is present on all two and three wheelers, after all, you are sitting on top of the engine.

Here is some information on the RT models,

The 2010 models had some heat issues on the right side but a few aftermarket items such as the Fan Can and Spyderpops blocker forced some of the hot air down and away from the rider. The same was true on the 2011 and 2012 models to some extent including the ST that was introduced that year.

This wasn't a big deal for riders who were used to motorcycles and rode with the proper boots and outerwear but it posed a major problem for folks who wanted to ride in shorts and running shoes.

In 2013 the chassis was redesigned to accept the 1330 cc, three cylinder engine but the Spyder was powered by the existing 998 cc twin. That configuration caused some air flow problems as the heat had to travel different routes to be eliminated and that heat caused some big time problems. A field fix was offered by BRP consisting of some heat shields and redesigned hoses that were more impervious to heat but not all owners were happy with the results.

The 2014 models were put together properly with the engine fitting into the chassis as intended. There is still heat present but that is acceptable to almost riders.

Hope this explanation helps.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaRae View Post

You are going to find a lot of opinions. Here are mine: If you are going to buy used, my recommendation would be a 2012 RT/998 Rotax engine. Considered the best of the best for RT's with 998 engine.

The 2014 RT with the 1330 is a great improvement--but you will not find real good deals--just because of that.

You can get a very good deal on a 2013 RT or ST--but that is because of the problems both real and perceived with that model year. Heat related issues are paramount when it comes to discussion.

I am very conservative, so, personally, would avoid 2013 model year.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-29-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My wife's 2013 ST Limited has the new panels and there is no heat issue with it.

Spyder Garage

I think if you stick with the 2014s or 2015s you shouldn't have a problem. I also have a 2011 RT and don't have heat issues.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Default No heat problems here

Just got my 2014 RT-L a couple weeks back. No issues with heat at all, not counting the Texas sun. I haven't been stuck in traffic @ mid-day yet... but that's never fun on any bike/trike.
    Vossr
    Sage Monkey
    MSgt, USAF ret

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Buying used, you shouldn't have any issue taking it out for a test ride.
    Start it up, get it warm then ride it for 30 minutes... you'll know if you have a heat problem.

I think you can tell from the posts that not all heat issues are from the bike... some are rider specific too.