Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Suggested Spyder Model / Model Year

I want to buy a Can Am Spyder and don't really know anything about them other than liking the looks. I want buy a used one, and I suppose I would like a manual transmission. I will mostly ride this around town with some occasional trips.

I am hoping there are a LOT of experts ut on this forum who can tip me to what model year is best for a used Spyder (maybe all of them are the same) and what model(s) I should consider. I do not have unlimited funds and probably don't need all the features.

Anyway, as I said, I need your input and guidance. I am looking forward to getting my new toy.

Mike

P.S. - I've never driven one of these but have had motorcycles for years. I am assuming these are easy to ride -- is this correct?

Spyder Garage

Hi, we have the 2010 rt, it is great around town or long distance Ryde. I have the standard and have added many extras.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
    Hi, we have the 2010 rt, it is great around town or long distance Ryde. I have the standard and have added many extras.
    Thanks for getting back with me so quickly! What is the "base model" for these. Is 2101 a good year? And do you know what I should expect to pay approx).

Thanks!

Mike

Spyder Garage

Probably not as easy to ride as u think especially coming from motorcycle. If u have riden 4 wheelers or snowmobiles it won't be to bad. Model depends on your riding style.
    My suggestion is take them for a test ride. They are a blast

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One way to start is to consider your riding style. If you prefer sport bikes, look at the RS line. Otherwise go with the ST or RT lines. The newest model, F3, is a cruiser and has just been announced so you won't find any used yet.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    One way to start is to consider your riding style. If you prefer sport bikes, look at the RS line. Otherwise go with the ST or RT lines. The newest model, F3, is a cruiser and has just been announced so you won't find any used yet.
    Last bike I had was a 1999 Honda Magna. Is this what you would be calling a Sport Bike?

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Probably not as easy to ride as u think especially coming from motorcycle. If u have riden 4 wheelers or snowmobiles it won't be to bad. Model depends on your riding style.
    My suggestion is take them for a test ride. They are a blast
    Thanks for the reply. I am trying to find a dealer nearby to take a test drive. I haven't really played around with 4 Wheelers or snowmobiles. Last bike I had was a 1999 Honda Magna 750.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mmitsch View Post
    Last bike I had was a 1999 Honda Magna. Is this what you would be calling a Sport Bike?

Mike
    we have the 2012 rss and it seems to be a good year as far as problems are concerned. very much trouble free with over 18,000 miles on it. we just did a 500 mile weekend with it, and it has all the storage you need for a couple of weekend days of riding. we like the sportier look of the rs line. as far as learning to ride it, agree with above comments. about a five hundred mile learning curve. you'll love it!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to find a dealer nearby to take a test drive. I haven't really played around with 4 Wheelers or snowmobiles. Last bike I had was a 1999 Honda Magna 750.

Mike
    I had to look that up. It looks more like a cruiser, IMHO. By sport-bike, I'm thinking of the type you lean forward on with your knees tucked up and the pegs behind your butt. Like this: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...i-GSXR1000.htm
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default 100 MILES

i'd say the 'learning curve' is about 100 miles...
    but that all depends on whether you are riding 'flat & straight' roads, or 'curvy up-n-down' roads... i got myself tuned-in on the curvies...
    if you know you'll be riding 50% + of the time with a passenger: the RT is what you may want to consider... if 50% + alone, the RS may be a better choice...
    i have a 2009 RS, SE5 with well over
    40,000 trouble-free miles on it... i wouldn't trade it for the world... oh, let me take that back... i'd trade it for another RS if BRP would listen to a lot of us, and put the 1330cc in it...
    you also need to consider what 'style' fits you best...
    NOTE: the SE transmission is worlds ahead of the ME... IMHO....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I agree with Dan. I also have an Rs. I have put considerably amount of money in it making it my own but with farkles the sky is the limit. I love it

If you have never ridden 4 wheeler or snowmobile you are in for a treat or scare. There is an adjustment time with them. Relax and enjoy

Spyder Garage

Your question is valid, but I'm afraid the question really starts with you and what kind of things you want to achieve.
    Perhaps if you could give some information.
    "Around town and some occasional trips"
    Around town for what reason ? Around town to get to the movies ?
    Or around town to go grocery shopping ?
    Occasional trips an hour away to a friends house ?
    Or occasional trips to FL for vacation.
    Knowing as little as I do from your posts, I'd suggest you might be happiest with one of the new ST models.
    Sport Touring. You have the sportier version of the Spyder with the more comfortable ergonomics of the big touring machine.
    Sporty for around town, yet comfortable for long trips.
    You can add removable storage bags, so if you just want to go out on a ride with friends, leave the bags home and you have the sportier version, but if you need to go to the grocery store, you can add the storage capacity. Or if you need it, you have the storage capacity for a long trip.

That's my advice. As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    Good luck and keep us posted so we can welcome you properly when you get your Spyder.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

P.S. - I've never driven one of these but have had motorcycles for years. I am assuming these are easy to ride -- is this correct?
    They are very easy to ride, it just takes getting used to that's all. I would suggest an RS if you like an aggressive seating postion, don't buy a 2013 used though.

Spyder Garage

A 1999 Magna is not a sport bike. It is a middleweight cruiser. I would suggest that you try a ST model. They have the same type of seating position as the Magna. The RS is more of a lean forward type of bike like a VFR. I found that a lot of my weight was on my hands when I drove my wife's old 2009 RS and I put a riser on it to sit more upright. The RT is a touring machine. Ultimately, though, you will have to make that decision based upon some test rides. The best prices will be on the RS because they have been out the longest.

Spyder Garage

Default Just to be contrary. . .

If you find a '13 with a cat bypass, you'd be good to go. The only issue with the '13s is the heat issue. If you get the cat bypass from Pitbull you'll be fine.
    So far, my second childhood is better than my first.

Spyder Garage

I want to buy a Can Am Spyder and don't really know anything about them other than liking the looks. I want buy a used one, and I suppose I would like a manual transmission. I will mostly ride this around town with some occasional trips.

I am hoping there are a LOT of experts ut on this forum who can tip me to what model year is best for a used Spyder (maybe all of them are the same) and what model(s) I should consider. I do not have unlimited funds and probably don't need all the features.

Anyway, as I said, I need your input and guidance. I am looking forward to getting my new toy.

Mike

Are you interested in the RS, ST, or RT models?

You won't hear much bad about the RS models any year.

ST and 2013 seem to have the most issues mentioned.

RT--2012 is said to be the best year for the model with the 998 Rotax. Most recommend staying away from 2013. The 2014 is the new ACE 1330 engine. It is a very good machine.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-28-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i just recently bought a 2011 spyder rt, have put about 2200 miles on it !!!!! i had ridden motorcycles since 1961, they are different but, not that much, leaning does not turn or even help turn, no front brake lever ? all three wheel brakes are on the foot pedal, i really love my spyder , i paid 18,000 out the door [ included sales tax, plates , registration and title ] !!!!! i can tell you in my area northeast, there are not a l;ot of used spyders, i have been looking for a trike [ differenht than a can am or spyder ] for 5 - 6 months ! you may find more selection in Indiana ! i don't think the year is important but, certainly the dealer is !!!!! hope you have good luck !!!!! all models are available in manual or semi-automatic [ actually i drove the semi auto just the other day and it is not much different than the manual just no clutch - a lever shifts up and the opposte way shifts down and, it shifted very smooth !!!!! if you have any questions please feel free to reply !!!!!

Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default It was a cruiser

Mike
    Hi Mike - the Honda Magna was a V-4 cruiser with shaft drive. I had 1985/6 700 Magna - I think it was the only year with 700 vs 750 if I remember right. Also had liquid cooling. If the style of bike you are comfortable riding, the ST or F3 might work for you.
    Sue

Spyder Garage

Mike

My advice would be to determine what riding position you like. The RS will give you the most forward riding position and is most like a sport bike (though in all honesty, you can't really compare any of the Spyders with a sport bike). The RT is an upright riding position and more comfortable for longer rides. The ST falls in between.

I am a new rider myself, having purchased my 2010 RT w/Audio & Convenience last summer (purchased used from Craigs List) and I've really liked it. Having ridden all 3 styles, I'm still happy I went with the RT.

If you're good with the 990 Rotax engine, you should find them to be the most economical way to get into your first Spyder. However, it sounds like the new ACE 1330 is a really nice platform. The only downside there, is that the ACE 1330 was new for 2014, so anyone selling theirs already will still be asking a premium price.

My only other advice would be to read and pay attention to AKSpyderman's post below. There has been a lot of discussion around heat issues with the 2013's and that was enough to keep me from considering one.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you love your new Spyder!
    Fuelly: 35.2avg MPG
    2020 Spyder RT Limited (Petrol Metallic w/Chrome)
    1. Lamonster Mount 2.0 with Dual Power Plates
    2020 RTL , Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Only one thing better...

I am hoping there are a LOT of experts up on this forum who can tip me to what model year is best for a used Spyder (maybe all of them are the same) and what model(s) I should consider. I do not have unlimited funds and probably don't need all the features.

Mike

Hi,
    Big welcome to thee fun forum and soon to being, a member of the vast SpYder family.

First, things first, while they are a heck of a lot of fun, these are not toys. ;-) yes?
    Find those in a RC hobby shop. Hahaha j/k

Choosing Your Best:
    Please leaf through the online or paper catalog, and see which style of the various SpYder models most appeals to your senses/taste. Looks wise, the three older models haven't changed much, but you can also do SpYder model searches on Yahoo.
    Including for example: Model Type, Colors, and the various Years you might consider.
    http://www.brp.ca/spyder/

There are numerous motorcycle websites to look at and also to read experienced reviews. Ah as well, YouTube can be your friend during this awesome time of SpYder Shopping.

Enjoy the time spent here and while in search of, looking forward to riding that new bike.

Please post pics once you have decided on the one you love, second most... ;-)

Chas
    Last edited by ChasCS; 09-28-2014 at 10:14 PM.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just purchased a 2014 spyder RT. I consider myself new to the riding game. I have been riding motorcycles for 8 years, and owned 10 different bikes in that time. My first experience with a spyder was a 3 mile test ride on a 2013 RT. I was impressed, but not ready to buy. They my good friend purchased a 2014 RT and let me ride it for about 30 miles. I was a little nervous for about the first 5 miles, because I was gripping too tight. After I learned to relax, I was spoiled, and in love. Once I decided to purchased, I considered the ST, being that most of my riding would be single. I like the looks, but it had my feet in a more ackward position. I seemed to be a lot more comfortable on the RT, so I decided to purchase it for the better (to me) riding position. I also chose the RT, with hopes that I can convince the wife to ride with me and enjoy the sport that I enjoys so much. I will let you know if that comes to pass.
    PS, I also chose the RT since i am slowing down and don't drive as agressively as I used too. If I decide to do some more of that type of riding, I will purchase another 2 wheeled beast.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RT Limited. I have right at 4000 miles on it so far with zero problems. Wife and I would like to go in a different direction. I would sell it for $18,000. I have added a luggage rack and highway pegs. I not that far from you as I live in Louisville, Ky.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I must be getting cranky in my Old Age..
    This almost sounds like someone trying to "stir the pot", with ignorance...
    I HOPE that I'm wrong.
    If I am; I'll apologize right now to the O.P.
    You didn't give us much to work with, and you asked a lot of questions, that are pretty dependent upon us having more information...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I just purchased a 2014 spyder RT. I consider myself new to the riding game. I have been riding motorcycles for 8 years, and owned 10 different bikes in that time. My first experience with a spyder was a 3 mile test ride on a 2013 RT. I was impressed, but not ready to buy. They my good friend purchased a 2014 RT and let me ride it for about 30 miles. I was a little nervous for about the first 5 miles, because I was gripping too tight. After I learned to relax, I was spoiled, and in love. Once I decided to purchased, I considered the ST, being that most of my riding would be single. I like the looks, but it had my feet in a more ackward position. I seemed to be a lot more comfortable on the RT, so I decided to purchase it for the better (to me) riding position. I also chose the RT, with hopes that I can convince the wife to ride with me and enjoy the sport that I enjoys so much. I will let you know if that comes to pass.
    PS, I also chose the RT since i am slowing down and don't drive as agressively as I used too. If I decide to do some more of that type of riding, I will purchase another 2 wheeled beast.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Depends on if you are looking for used or new.

There are a lot of well sorted out 08/09/10 GS/RS models out there with aftermarket comfort and bags added that have a good maintenance history and decent mileage.

First you have to determine whether you want an RS/ST/RT/ or F3 in order to narrow your search down.

*My GS might be for sale soon.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER