Spyder Garage

Default Who here has bought a demo?

Over the years I have bought many new cars and none have been a demo. The last used car I bought was in 1978.

I have an opportunity to buy a 2014 RT Limited "Demo" with 1500 miles. I don't know its history and I have not seen it yet as it's 500 miles away. I'll have the salesman send me pictures tomorrow and I'll see what he can tell me about it.

For those of you who have purchased a demo, what were your experiences? I know you get the full warranty but is there anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks

Jerry
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default They go over everything

Imagine torquing every bolt and tightening every single nut.
    & this is done with all bikes brought in for trade with Spyders as well.

What concerns you most? The distance to your service shop is pretty far though.

Honestly think it will be a great buy for you, if price is right.

Good luck, I hope you go for it. Before somebody else grabs it up.

Chas

Spyder Garage

My 2013 RTL was a demo that I bought a year ago at the end of last year's summer season. But it didn't get many demo rides because the dealership owner was using it as his own personal bike. So, while it had more miles than a typical demo, it probably got a better break-in than a typical demo would get. Not sure how important that is, though, because it seems to me that the electronics on the bike don't let unfamiliar riders do the sorts of things that would inflict real harm to the engine and transmission.

The deal worked out very well for me. There was a $3000 rebate plus a three year warranty from BRP, and after very little negotiation, the dealer threw in another $5400 discount. So I got the bike for $8400 below MSRP, plus a free extended warranty. Now, a year later, it has 5000 miles on it and I have had almost no problems with it. It runs better now than the day I got it (which folks here say is usually the case at around 5000 miles). No complaints at all, except for the heat that affects all 2013 RT's, and I've been able to resolve that, for the most part.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-26-2014 at 11:14 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My 2014RT was a demo at Cowtown USA. GReat deal and great dealer!
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default demo

I bought a 2013 rts last year that was a demo. It had 150 miles on it. It has the sm5. I would assume that is why the mileage was so low. With that said it has been great. We have had no problems with it. We now have 3200 miles and are completely satisfied with our purchase.

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My 2008 was..

...a demo. Came with new bike warranty from the date of purchase plus it had 600 mile service done the prior week. Worked for me. My 2010 was a used bike - different deal.

Don
    Last edited by Don in E Texas; 09-27-2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: 600 mile service, not 3,000 miles
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

My 2012 RT-S was a demo with about 800 miles on it. I found it on the internet, bought it sight unseen, after doing due diligence on the dealers reputation. Then I flew 1000 miles, picked it up and drove it home. It was a great deal and not a single issue with the bike.
    Dan

2014 RT-S SE6, 2012 RT-622 trailer

Spyder Garage

As with most things, check out the dealer first, mileage and price. Good luck.

Dennis

P.S. Did I say dealer, dealer, dealer

Spyder Garage

Purchased my 2013 RT Limited last year around Labor Day. Had around 250 miles when purchased. Warranty went into effect the day I picked it up. Got a great deal, plus the dear through the 600 miles maintenance in at no charge. Just picked-up the bike yesterday from getting it's 4600 mile maintenance, no ill affects from being a demo has far as I can tell.

Spyder Garage

My only recommendation would be that the demo comes with a new bike warranty.

If purchased from a reputable dealer, others that used the should not be an issue. The dealer should do their due diligence when prepping it for you, the ultimate customer.

You save a few bucks, the bike has been road tested, and all the glitches (if any) should have been worked out. Sounds like win/win to me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When I bought my "Demo" it only had 11mi so I had to put 600 mi on it to finish the deal. Tough job but someone had to do it. Brought it back in a week. Now over 2K mi since August.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the input!

I did it! Put my money down on the demo.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I did it! Put my money down on the demo.
    Good for you! I'm sure it'll work out great for you.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default DEMO

Mine was a demo with around 900 miles on it...
    NO, i didn't want a 'demo'.... but it was EXACTLY what i wanted... RS/SE5, Black & Silver... it was the PERFECT match for my personality....
    so, hesitantly, i signed on the dotted line because they told me that they never know which models/colors will be shipped to them by BRP... and i'm here to say, it was the best thing i ever did...
    the salesman told me that the dealership makes ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that a demo is 'PERFECT' in every way... if a demo 'fails' during a test ride, you can kiss that buyer GOOD BYE, is what he told me... i have over 40,000 care-free miles on mine, and love it more and more every time i read a post where somebody complains about theirs...
    don't hesitate pal... otherwise, somebody else will be smiling and you'll be kick'n your #$% for letting it slip through your fingers.....
    jmho
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

SAM_0184.jpg