Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Your opinion please...RT-SE6 vs. RTS-SE6

Waited for the 2015 announcement and decided a 2014 is a better fit for me if I jump into my first Spyder.

My question for the board is would you go for the RT or the RTS for $2800 difference?
    Two rider use with the Mrs. onboard. Casual riding.

Thanks for your help as I value the opinion and help of this forum..

Rick
    The CLIP below says it all:
    ENJOY and travel safe my friends.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Sabusan;880579]Waited for the 2015 announcement and decided a 2014 is a better fit for me if I jump into my first Spyder.

My question for the board is would you go for the RT or the RTS for $2800 difference?
    Two rider use with the Mrs. onboard. Casual riding.

Thanks for your help as I value the opinion and help of this forum..

$2800. seems like a lot for what you get, but for two up riding you'll like the air adjustable suspension. Plus the "s" model is just a way sharper looking Spyder.

Spyder Garage

There is no difference between the mechanics of the two units. Both have full stereo, iPod interface, cruise control, adjustable windshield, etc. However, the base does not have a carpeted frunk, fog lights, push button rear shock adjustment, nor floorboards of questionable utility.

Personally, I opted for the base, and have no regrets. I have to use my compressor to change the rear shock pressure (a non issue), I rarely ride a night, and don't care about the chrome. Additionally, I prefer my Seal Floorboards, hate the "new" front fenders, and did not want the black rims. But that's just me. The $3K difference buys a lot of the stuff I want, rather the what BRP wanted me to have.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

When we were shopping, we did the same sort of comparing. In my opinion, the RTs came with enough additional features that the added expense was I guess value added. Already mentioned was that the mechanical part is the same. The added options are where you decide if you should or should not have them, and as a next step, are the options you prefer available in the aftermarket and are you willing to do the install or pay to have it done.

I have never seen the actual sales numbers, but it is possible the RTs being popular sold more than the RT Limited and RT base.

FWIW, we went with an RTs, made some changes to suit us better and really enjoy it. I know this would not be a machine I would buy for myself. Buying for the wife and myself, the RTs has been a great choice.

PK

Spyder Garage

I also went with the RTS and the additional cost. Most of the additional items are cosmetic but I liked the RTS overall better than the RT, plus more color selection, I got the cognac. Is the additional cost worth it? Well perhaps not, but I know I would be second guessing my self if I got the base RT, and I have no regrets with the RTS.
    Dan

2014 RT-S SE6, 2012 RT-622 trailer

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    There is no difference between the mechanics of the two units. Both have full stereo, iPod interface, cruise control, adjustable windshield, etc. However, the base does not have a carpeted frunk, fog lights, push button rear shock adjustment, nor floorboards of questionable utility.

Personally, I opted for the base, and have no regrets. I have to use my compressor to change the rear shock pressure (a non issue), I rarely ride a night, and don't care about the chrome. Additionally, I prefer my Seal Floorboards, hate the "new" front fenders, and did not want the black rims. But that's just me. The $3K difference buys a lot of the stuff I want, rather the what BRP wanted me to have.
    I feel the same pretty much as you. The only option that I wanted from the RTs is the fog likes. With that being said, I can have those installed on my bike for a lot less that the increased price of the upgrade.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

It really is personal preference. That being said I traded in my 2012 RT S sm5 for A 2014 base Rt SE 6 and never looked back. Never missed the fog lights because in the color black the bike looks great. And like many here the money I saved could be put towards the farkles I wanted.
    Good luck with your decision.

Spyder Garage

Between the two, I vote for the RT-S. Plus it's getting close to year end, 2015's are announced and you can probably negotiate even more off for the 2014.

Spyder Garage

We have had (3) RT-S and like the added features that the S provides. We did not care for the chrome on the limited so that is why we choose the S. We added the Zumo 660 on the bike after we purchased. I have heard that they do not make many base RT models so they might be hard to find.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post

That's me too and the decision I came to also.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I have had three levels of RT and like them all. The 2010 RT-S was a premier edition with everything on it from the start.

My 2011 is an A & C (audio and comfort) their name then for the basic model. I added floorboards, driving lights, and a different seat to the bike. My extras cost about $1000.

My 2014 was the new version of the RTS. As mentioned, this one comes with floorboards, driving lights, adjustable shocks, and plastic decorative pieces instead of chrome. Color selection is greater also.

I prefer the S over the standard version because I like the looks and a little extra bling. For me the extra money spent was worth it. The package is usually cheaper than buying the add-ons from BRP.

The LTD is another $2,000 or so and you get Garmin, and real chrome and I believe snazzier wheels.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Heated passenger hand grips

The base RT's don't come with the heated grips for the passenger. Is that right? As for my wife, that would be a game changer.

Spyder Garage

No, they do not - however it is fully wired already, & I'm told the kit cost is under $100.... others may have more info, since my SO would never use them... The DO have the passenger floorboards, and speakers in the back.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the RT limited and wanted all the goodies on it..What I did like was the heated grips..They really work..Optioned for the heated seat too.

My Harley GPS works in the GPS mount too..So Another GPS for me..

The RT Limited is one sweet ride..I cannot be any happier..3 weeks and almost 1600 miles..I am happy I dumped the Harley..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take it from the nincompoop who converted his A&C, into an "S"...
    Buy the damn bike; once you start making changes; it's what you'll wish that you had done in the first place!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Buy the damn bike; once you start making changes; it's what you'll wish that you had done in the first place!
    But Bob - if you get the "S", you're stuck with the stupid front fenders, BLACK rims, and ludicrous $1000 BRP floorboards. Still having to do something about road pegs... That $1000 paid for ALL of the farkles I wanted to add to my Base... having just come back in from a 90 mile rip though our hills, I'm still 100% happy.

In three years of ownership, I adjusted the rear shock on my old "S" once, used the fog lights twice, and never had the rear heated grip on. I just couldn't see the value.

The difference in trade value between a 2010 "S" and "A/C" was $200.

Now I may put a set of RSS rims on it, when I have to replace my tires - but that's a while, and still only $500.... now at 42 mpg & $4/gallon, the remaining cash yields 15,750 miles of ryding for a retired guy on a fixed income... or roughly $50/month for the younger set that needs a loan to pay for their toys.....
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

We have the RT S and like the extra features. I wanted the driver floorboards, the fog/driving lights, and the push button adjustable rear suspension. My wife wanted heated passenger grips, and she really likes them. With the discount and rebate that we were able to take advantage of when we bought it in August, it brought the out-the-door price down to the point of being a pretty good value.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Cool

Ok ,,,I'll say it / the base model looks cheap because it is... Less resale because less people Lookin for the cheap model used.. To me,,, it's like buying a car without air conditioning n roll up windows... To each his own,,,I bought the RTS cause I can't stand chrome... Some don't think the RTS is worth the extra cash,,, the people buying the RTS over the base RT tend to disagree and the sales numbers bare that out as well... Ask any dealer which is easier to get rid of used... You asked for opinions / that's mine... Never even considered the base RT..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I could not stand the dam foot pegs over the floor boards..Made me feel to uncomfortable..

Good Luck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

May I ask what a reasonable price would be for a 2014 RT Ltd be...without tax, etc. No trade...cash.... I don't need it, but my dealer has several on the floor and don't want to make him a "too good" offer for one. PM or email to scoot62@aol.com if you wish. Thanks.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Default Nincompoop #2 agrees, with Nincompoop #1

I too spent a LOT more adding what the S model would have given me for less. I didn't make that mistake again on the 2014's we bought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Spyder Garage

Ah well - it's your money, spend it as you will. I agree with the pegs bit, which is why I added the Seals immediately ..

E-bay had a LTD for $23600 - don't remember what the color was, but I think it was in Minnesota.. so there's shipping involved, and still $5K more than I paid for my base.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dragonrider; 09-27-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

There's not a huge lot in it really, the base RT is already a high spec machine no doubt, its not poverty spec by any means. If the difference in the UK was only 2.8k dollars I'd have gone with the S, but then I really dig the black wheels etc. In the uk both bikes have the same lights (lights either side of frunk, neither have fogs, our main beam is here) but difference is more like 5.6k dollars which didn't warrant the extra spend, especially as we bought 2. We were originally going to buy footboards etc as a must but now we've found we are happy with them as they are.

I bought some parts from ebay US as new, rts front wheels, black handlebars, air suspension module but haven't fitted any if it yet as looking for the side castings to powdercoat to match. Cosmetics aside, the air module is the biggest change. The other items, heated rear grips are cheap and easy adds. The RT has rear speakers btw.

With hindsight, I wonder whether I shouldn't have bothered with the air module and maybe should have bought the Elka shock instead!

it's personal preference as above, for the figures you are talking I would say the S is a no brainer if you like the black farkles that is. If you don't then go with the RT and add the air module, fogs and heated grips.

Enjoy either way!
    1330 RT SE6 Timeless Black...
    "Tre Pistoni, Tre Ruote, Tre Mendo"

Spyder Garage

Default Don't Like Chrome

I got a very good yellow tag deal on a 2014 cognac RT-S and optioned it the way I wanted. Even if dealer offered a similar deal on a Ltd I would have stayed with the RT-S. Chrome just isn't my style.

Spyder Garage

Buy what you want. I have never had any trouble getting rid of my previous two: 2010 Black Premier Edition or my 2011 white Limited, both at top dollar. The current limited always gets great comments, especially with the Pitbull/Lamonster graphics. Have fun!
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.