Spyder Garage

Default Still on the fence?

From the prospective of over 40 years of riding motorcycles, and over 40,000 miles on Spyders since 2009, I just had to weigh in.

Well, the '15s are here, and updates to the RT are underwhelming - and, I think, that's a good thing. I have owned two prior Spyders RS & RT - both were farkled out the ears.. I sold my 2010 just before the 2014s came out, knowing I had less than no interest in a '13, and the '14s were a total unknown - rolling the dice on a $25K bet is not what I do.

I was concerned that the issues with the '13s might spill over to the '14s, and decided to wait 6 months or so, and see what developed with the '14s. Well, that didn't happen - in fact, the '14s got raves from day one, and the new owners couldn't say enough about their new rides.

Were there a few issues? Yes, but they were really minor, for the most part (I know those who suffered would claim otherwise). Basically, I have found my new '14 to be everything I had hoped for, and more.

This bike is smoother, faster, and easier to live with than either of my other Spyders - and whither it's the redesigned bars or seat, more comfortable too. The tires may be short-lived, but there are lots of options, and having a short life is better than having tires that don't hold on to wet roads, like some I've had in the past.

I never worried about the reliability of my 2010 RT - it did use some oil, and the milage was the pits, until I changed the plug wires, plugs, exhaust, and dropped the CAT - then it was just OK. My 2014 RT got better milage on its first tank than my '10 ever got, and doesn't use a drop of oil. My '10 did keep my feet warm, but not unbearable, and the '14 has never shown more than 4 bars on the gauge - no heat issues at all - - I'm looking forward to next years 3000 mile trip!!

Finally, there are some really great deals on new '14s around. If you are on the fence, jump down and grab one. You won't be disappointed. These bikes really are terrific, and you'll save a bundle over a new '15.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Great review..!!

we need more threads like yours. Congrats on all your accomplishments getting to the 14. You are right in that the better deal now is to buy the 2014's. Great deals going on....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I certainly agree with your assessment of 2014 RT s .. If I were buying an RT today I would jump on the 2014 deals without even thinking about the 2015...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a good assessment. I would say if someone is in the market for an RT, get a left-over '14, as I don't think the '15s add much except higher price.
    Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 09-26-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typo
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I had a 2012 trouble free RT-S and in June got a 2014 RT-S and couldn't be happier. On my break in service, dealer replaced the front tires and the ignition, so I didn't even consider them issues.
    Now I discovered I have a slow leak on my rear tractor tire, and at 1300 lbs it's a bugger to get off and back on, that's my issue.
    I think I am probably in the silent majority that have a trouble free Spyder. As has been mentioned here many times, the problematic issues get a lot of air time, which is to be expected, but it is great to see the positive as well.
    Dan

2014 RT-S SE6, 2012 RT-622 trailer

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 or not

If I could afford it I would get a 14 but I can't so I will stick with my 13 which so far (knock on wood) has not given me any problems in a little over 9500 miles.

Spyder Garage

Dragonrider: Your review is right on. My situation is similar to yours and I could not agree more with what you wrote.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I love love love my 2014 RT-S. Great bike!

Spyder Garage

Then there was the member who couldn't get a deal on a used TriGlide, and went down to purchase a used '11 RT. He made the mistake of test riding a '14, and took it home for $3K more than the '11.

With deals like that (and mine) - the advantages and fun factor should carry the day. BRP finally got it right with the '14s. I will look forward to seeing 6 digits on my odometer one of these days.

I've only had two other bikes that made that mark - a '99 Valk (still strong at 156K), and a '06 BMW. My wings probably made it, but not with me on the saddle...

I suspect that, while there are a lot of NEW prior year RTs out there (11s, 12s, & 13s) - I don't expect the 14s to hang around.

Don't make me say "I told you so".
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    I certainly agree with your assessment of 2014 RT s .. If I were buying an RT today I would jump on the 2014 deals without even thinking about the 2015...
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

The wife and I have been looking at the RT for three years now and after riding the 2014 I decided BRP had the RT where I thought I would be happy with it. I've had at least one bike and some times three or four at a time since 1976 and logged lots of touring miles on Ultras and Goldwings. So it was hard for me to give in to the three wheeled idea. We test drove a 2014 RT then went and test drove a new Goldwing trike and I knew right away that I was going back and get the Spyder. I will have to say each day I ride it I like it even better!
    As far as the deals on the 14's I was able to save enough to put most of the farkles I wanted and was still way below list. I saved enough I decided to go ahead and trade our Bushtec trailer and get the can am trailer. With the rebate on the trailer it wasn't much more than it was going to cost me to have the other one repainted to match out new ride. HAPPY NEW 2014 OWNER!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    The wife and I have been looking at the RT for three years now and after riding the 2014 I decided BRP had the RT where I thought I would be happy with it. I've had at least one bike and some times three or four at a time since 1976 and logged lots of touring miles on Ultras and Goldwings. So it was hard for me to give in to the three wheeled idea. We test drove a 2014 RT then went and test drove a new Goldwing trike and I knew right away that I was going back and get the Spyder. I will have to say each day I ride it I like it even better!
    As far as the deals on the 14's I was able to save enough to put most of the farkles I wanted and was still way below list. I saved enough I decided to go ahead and trade our Bushtec trailer and get the can am trailer. With the rebate on the trailer it wasn't much more than it was going to cost me to have the other one repainted to match out new ride. HAPPY NEW 2014 OWNER!!
    and on joining in the three wheel fun.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Dont know any better.

I love my 2013 st limited. I guess I dont know any better.

Carl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post

PrairieSpyder (Patti)