Thread: Suede seat

Spyder Garage

Default Suede seat

Am I the only one who worries the premium F3-S Suede seat won't hold up to the elements? I leave my RSS outside in the rain all the time

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's going to take time; to find out if your fears are valid...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since I'm not buying again for a few years, I'll get the "wait and see" about how things hold up and the product line evolves. I'm liking the F3 more and more, though.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Real or Fake

Suede leather that is. If it's real I'd be worried about it getting wet.

Spyder Garage

The bucket seats in my car are leather in the middle and suede on the edges... and the suede has turned black over the years from the coloring from my jacket and jeans wearing off.... I hope its not the real thing....

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

We have been barraged with an incredible amount of data albeit incomplete on the new product line. A look after the first 1000 miles will be necessary to answer a lot of the questions
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's going to take time; to sort things out...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think there are water proofing treatment that you can put on it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    I think there are water proofing treatment that you can put on it
    Check if there is an Indian Motorcycle Dealer near you. They use suede and leather seats on their 2014+ lines of bikes. You can ask them how they hold up.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Default Seinfeld

I just remember that episode when Jerry gets this ridiculously expensive suede jacket then later ends up ruining it in the rain. Kind of backs up my not wanting a real suede seat on a motorcycle.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default If it is true suede.....

Hi Dave here,
    I have made more seats than I could ever count over the past years since 1967 and I can
    tell you that if it is truly real suede it will not look good after it gets rained on. Have you ever
    had suede shows or a suede coat and had it in the rain ?
    If you want that look and want it to look great no matter how wet it has gotten go check my website
    and look at the ultra swede I use I have it on my own seat the one with the Spiders on it, I can do it for you

Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post
    Am I the only one who worries the premium F3-S Suede seat won't hold up to the elements? I leave my RSS outside in the rain all the time

Spyder Garage

As a former leather merchant for 30 years...

Suede is leather that the top finish has been sanded off of. It is great for its smoothness and velvety feel.

For a seat, when it rains, it mats down the fibers and makes the finish hard. A good suede brush is required to bring it back to life.

Direct exposure to the sun will fade the original appearance.

There are no waterproof chemicals that I am aware of that protect and preserve a suede finish. They tend to have the same effect as getting it water spotted or rained on.

If they are using "real" leather on the F3 seats, then I could foresee a potential problem. If they are using "artificial" or "leather like" materials, then it could be a whole different story.

I have one nice suede/fringed jacket and am very careful where and when I wear it. I would not opt for a motorcycle seat with that set up.

Like Doc said though, we will have to wait to hear from the actual beta testers to see how this all plays out.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-25-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red