Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I'm a PC guy who suffers from Mac envy!
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Go Mac

I love this machine and do not ever regret changing from that damn virus prone PC. So much more intuitive.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I always hear people online swearing by Macs....if they are so good why aren't they used in more businesses?

I've asked that question to a few IT guys in the past w/ some surprising answers....so I'll stick w/ Microsoft.

Read past 23.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

I always hear people online swearing by Macs....if they are so good why aren't they used in more businesses?

I've asked that question to a few IT guys in the past w/ some surprising answers....so I'll stick w/ Microsoft.

That is for one reason and it has nothing to do with the ability of the mac. It has everything to to do with who got there first with a major foothold and software developers took the PC ball and ran with it. Apple back in the day screwed up big time by not being more open source.
    Last edited by spyder3; 09-25-2014 at 07:53 AM.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Same reason iphones are not allowed on many large corporate networks. Security Risk.

The Mac, inside its walled garden is a smooth running very nice computer. Staying inside a walled garden does have its problems. Apple cannot be all things to all people. There are just many things I need to do that require a PC running on a secure corporate network. Not a mac emulating a pc, don't work.

Its a personal choice, for your own personal use, go to a mac store and try one. If you like it and it does what you need, they are a fine piece of gear. Used to be a significant price difference but compared to business class PC hardware, pricing is pretty similar these days. Low end pc hardware can be cheaper but its not of equivalent design or quality.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

What a tremendous response! Thanks so much. I'll be visiting an Apple store today.

Spyder Garage

If you have a number of tv's in different rooms, you may want to check out the Mac mini.

Spyder Garage

iSheep......Baaaaaaaa!!!!
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    Take it from another iSheep! Bought my first iMac 5 years ago for $1500. As an IT guy chasing windows problems all day long, I was coming home to do more tech support, when I got home. I made the switch to stop the pain and all of my peers mocked me.

Fast forward 5 years, and the iMac was still as fast as day one. My peers has each gone through at least two systems and suffered through Vista, Windows 7, which was mice and windows 8, which we all still hate.

I sold my iMac for $800 two weeks and bought two Mac Minis to set up a part time virtualization lab for my next certification. That translated to a loss of $700 over 5 years for one iMac. My snarky peers each blew a minimum of $900+ per each system and got no more than $100 for them when offloading their old systems. Add to that their two version upgrades each at $100+ and each were at a average negative $2000+ each. Compare that to my $700 loss and it paints a pretty good picture. I also never paid for an OS upgrade. They were free.

Add to that what they had to endure to troubleshoot their systems over time and their net loss was off the charts. Two of the three snarky peers now have Macs. Every vendor that presents their products run macs and virtual machines if need be. Windows runs a 100% better within a virtual machine, so absolutely no reason not to switch.

So yup, this iSheep says Baaaaaa Baaaaa Bahaha...your PC did what again? And You spend how much?
    Last edited by MidLifeCrisis; 09-25-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    If you have a number of tv's in different rooms, you may want to check out the Mac mini.
    Better yet, get an AppleTV and in addition to the built in NetFlix app etc., use the AirPlay feature on any mac to send over Audio, Video or mirror any app to the TV. You can do that on PCs too with a $10 app called AirParrot, but it's not quite as seamless. Still pretty good though.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

[PHP][/PHP]
    iPod, iPhone, iPad, iWatch. I broke.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    Better yet, get an AppleTV and in addition to the built in NetFlix app etc., use the AirPlay feature on any mac to send over Audio, Video or mirror any app to the TV. You can do that on PCs too with a $10 app called AirParrot, but it's not quite as seamless. Still pretty good though.
    I was thinking of cruising the internet, especially SL's, and viewing on your tv. I have Roku for the other stuff; but, that's getting off topic now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    iPod, iPhone, iPad, iWatch. I broke.
    You can't be broke. The iWatch isn't out yet. I think it looks better than the F3. Does that take me off the iSheep list? Or, does that put me on the iSh*t list?

Spyder Garage

I was thinking of cruising the internet, especially SL's, and viewing on your tv. I have Roku for the other stuff; but, that's getting off topic now.
    Good point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

You can't be broke. The iWatch isn't out yet. I think it looks better than the F3. Does that take me off the iSheep list? Or, does that put me on the iSh*t list?
    oops. My bad.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am guessing it's because most businesses use products supplied by the
    lowest bidder.... you know, you get what you pay for
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Dave
    That's because in most business environments, applications are written for windows systems. We're an engineering shop, so we're dominated my Windows and Unix systems. The windows systems are rock solid. That's my job. Keep them stable, keep them secure and make recovery as quick as possible. When a system goes down, and it rarely does, the users back to work in 30 minutes max.

There's no such controls for home users. There again, what do said home users do with their systems? I'm betting they aren't running Matlab or STK. Internet and email is 90% of home user activity with a segment tied to Windows based games. Macs are far more stable. Memory management is superior and in general, they can run with less resources than Windows, so they aren't junk in three years. It also makes sense to use them in the home environment, where most people don't know the ropes of keeping things locked down.

I run Windows as much as OSX. Can't do my job without Windows, but it runs in a virtual environment with a snapshot and regular backups. I have none of the above safety nets at home as I have at work. If my windows machine gets a bug, I restore from a snapshot or backups. Can't afford to be down or risk passing on the bug. Not sure what other admins takes are on Macs, but this admin is far more efficient with them.

I think I may have just spoken over most everyone's head. If so, get a Mac. Give your neighborhood nerd a break.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Dave

With that said, it's funny but the company I work for is owned by Michael Dell.

Spyder Garage

Sometimes, that's what competition does...offers a cheaper product. Micheal Dell is a smart man with a good business plan. In the business grade products, he's managed to eliminate all but one player. The systems are solid, but far from inexpensive. Can you say $3K average per each system we buy? On the consumer side, where competition is stiff....junk, absolute junk. The winners end up being some of the Korean brands, good luck with customer service, should you ever need it though...But that's how the prices remain low.

Spyder Garage

The part of his business I work in has nothing to do w computers. He owns other businesses as well.

Spyder Garage

The part of his business I work in has nothing to do w computers. He owns other businesses as well.
    What? Nothing to do with computers? How do I get your job? I'm tired of 1s and 0s!!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks again everyone. I now have an iMac. All I have to do now is figure out how to transfer info from my old computer and magnify the screen (not size of screen, but what's on it).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    What? Nothing to do with computers? How do I get your job? I'm tired of 1s and 0s!!!

He owns 40+ car dealerships, I work at 12 of them...just not on any computers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    Thanks again everyone. I now have an iMac. All I have to do now is figure out how to transfer info from my old computer and magnify the screen (not size of screen, but what's on it).
    If you have an Apple store neer you they can help you transfer you files and answer ?'s
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com