Spyder Garage

Default Service time in NM

Hi all
    I have had my 08 GS for about 1.5 years. When I purchased it the previous owner took it in to the dealer and had the oil changed. I have decided that after this riding season I want to take it in and have them completely look it over and do an oil change. I have put about 3K miles on it in those 1.5 years. It now has 9K. I spoke to the service dept a couple weeks ago and they said it would probably need a brake fuild and coolant flush. Can anyone make any recomendations on what maintenance should and needs to be done. I have heard something about valve check. I told the service department that I would decided what needed to be done once it is checked. Does anyone know of a good mechanic outside the dealer here in New Mexico. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank You
    Marc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by $08SpyderGS View Post
    Hi all
    I have had my 08 GS for about 1.5 years. When I purchased it the previous owner took it in to the dealer and had the oil changed. I have decided that after this riding season I want to take it in and have them completely look it over and do an oil change. I have put about 3K miles on it in those 1.5 years. It now has 9K. I spoke to the service dept a couple weeks ago and they said it would probably need a brake fuild and coolant flush. Can anyone make any recomendations on what maintenance should and needs to be done. I have heard something about valve check. I told the service department that I would decided what needed to be done once it is checked. Does anyone know of a good mechanic outside the dealer here in New Mexico. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank You
    Marc
    My advice, pass on the valve check--adds about $600 - $800 to your service bill. Valve check was supposed to be every 14K miles. I did one at 14K and one at 28K and no adjustments needed. The new 2014 1330's do not require the service. The consensus has been, don't do valve check unless you suspect problems.

Its your call, and not a requirement of Spyder ownership.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is a 9200 mile service and runs about 500.00

Spyder Garage

Default IMHO

You do need to have the brake and clutch fluid as well as the coolant replaced when you do the oil and filter change. You probably do not have enough miles to need a valve clearance check unless you are having any sort of excessive valve train noise (unlikely). I personally would not have that done until at least 12K miles, which is what BRP now recommends . Exhaust gaskets come to mind, but still may be in great shape as the manual only calls replacement after 12k miles. Many people have had them fail sooner but it is pretty easy to tell if any of them are leaking. If so, have the dealer replace them with the equivalent Honda parts (18392-MAM-000) which last much longer than the BRP parts. You will need them to lube your Reverse mechanism, if you have not already done this yourself, as that is an every 3K mile service item. Cleaning and inspecting the throttle bodies is every 6K miles. As is cleaning and lubing the throttle cables. Something that is probably not in your 08 manual is checking the torque on the front sprocket bolt. It should be 88 ft/lbs. and checked at least every 6K miles. Front wheel lug torque is 77 ft/lbs and every 3k miles. Rear wheel nuts are torqued to 96 ft/lbs and to be checked every 6k miles. The front end is to be gone over checking for worn parts every 6k miles as is the drive belt inspection. Drive belt tension is to be checked and adjusted as necessary. Your 08 manual tension criteria has been lowered by BRP and the dealer should be aware of the new tension specification. You are probably due for an air filter as BRP recommends checking every 3K miles and replacing every 6K miles. This will vary with your local conditions. I you live in an area with a lot of dust you may need to replace more often than 6K miles. Plugs are supposed to be replaced every 6K, but if you switch to Iridium you can easily double that to every 12k miles. The owners manual will have the service schedule/intervals listed for other things that you may need to do or have checked. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by sabunim5; 09-23-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Default Thank You

Thank You for your replies. I really will use this info. You folks are the best. Keep the replies coming if anyone can think of anything else. I do not criticize any replies

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Service Time"

I thought that it said "Serving Time"...
    I was looking for a commentary on New Mexico's penal system.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black