Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Low Speed Wreck, Lots of Damage

First- no injuries....

This weekend we were about 200 miles away on a multi day ride. Lots of technical roads in the mountains. My wife was on her RTS with a passenger on the back, I was following on my Concours. We were making a left turn onto a highway on ramp, and her left front wheel lifted up. She corrected, but by then they hit gravel on the side of the road and slid into the guardrail at around 15mph. There is a LOT of damage. The right front wheel is a full 8" behind the left wheel when you look at them. The handlebars are at almost a full left lock with the wheels straight. The seat/rear of the bike is twisted to the right. Cosmetically, the headlight is smashed, the right fender is damaged and there are scrapes on the frunk lid.

After all the technical roads we had ridden it was bizzare that this happened. The only thing we can see is that the ramp was tilted from left to right- the left side of the road was higher than the right, and that, combined with the left turn, is what caused the wheel to lift.

We had to drive back out there yesterday with a trailer and bring it home. I'm hoping it's repairable- if it's just steering components and no frame damage.

Anyone had a similar mishap, and what was the outcome?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is everybody okay??
    Without seeing pictures; you probably do have frame damage.
    Mine was pushed back about that far also... 10-11-11 03.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I hope everyone is okay and safe! I'm sorry that you had this happened and I hope I don't ever have to come back and share a similar experience.

Can't help you with the specifics of your wreck, but it sounds like a weight distribution and speed issue. If the wheel lifts up the computer should have down-throttled.

Again, sorry this happened and hope everyone is okay... that's whats important!
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm thankful there were no injuries. I hope the damage isn't too severe and she'll be back on the road again soon.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

no serious injuries... a couple bruises.

did they total yours? I'm really hoping ours is not, we got a great deal on it and wouldn't be able to replace it for the price we paid.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine was repaired; to the tune of $12,900...
    Spyder Crash Test Dummy Club.jpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Mine was repaired; to the tune of $12,900...
    Spyder Crash Test Dummy Club.jpg
    That'd be fine with me...

Spyder Garage

Its likely total loss, or should be. The frame where those suspension arms mount is likely badly damaged. I would not want a bike that had sustained significant frame damage and been repaired. Anything CAN be repaired but should you?

Insurance does not pay what you paid for the bike, they pay what the bike is worth today to replace with like kind and quality. If the value went up in your case (not likely) they pay more than you did. ACV normally works in the insurance company favor, but not always. Been there and done that on a high dollar car wreck.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Glad no one was seriously injured. Can't tell by the pictures if there is frame damage. Going to take a very knowledgeable tech to do a thorough inspection.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Its likely total loss, or should be. The frame where those suspension arms mount is likely badly damaged. I would not want a bike that had sustained significant frame damage and been repaired. Anything CAN be repaired but should you?

Insurance does not pay what you paid for the bike, they pay what the bike is worth today to replace with like kind and quality. If the value went up in your case (not likely) they pay more than you did. ACV normally works in the insurance company favor, but not always. Been there and done that on a high dollar car wreck.
    We paid 16k for it earlier this year. KBB was over 17k yesterday. So we'd be covered, but replacing it would not be practical, because of the cost of a new one, or even finding a deal like this on a 2012.

It just stinks that such a low speed impact causes this much damage.

Spyder Garage

Glad there were no serious injuries . . . that is the most important outcome, here.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is why I'm a bit concerned about the SST framework; they just don't take impacts all that well. They twist!
    I have to go get a couple of pictures of the frame that came out from under mine... It shows how unsuported and weak these actually are.

Spyder Garage

I am very glad no one was hurt.

A wheel lift can be unnerving, but it is rarely reason to make much more than a minor correction. In almost every case, the wheel will come down with no harm, no foul. The perception of a wheel lift is much worse than the reality.

It may well be that the passenger was surprised by the off camber, felt like they were losing balance, grabbed a hand rail and hoisted themselves against the lean. The farther back and the higher the weight, the more affect it has on how much the Spyder leans.

Again, glad everyone is ok. But it doesn't hurt to mentally prepare for as many 'Surprises' as you can. Like, what will I do if an animal runs out in front of me. If you're mentally prepared it can greatly improve the outcome if it ever does happen.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Glad everyones OK

Sorry to hear about this accident! I am glad you are all OK...that's the main thing - it could have been much worse! Good luck with the repair!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Sad to read, but glad you are ok...

Always asking for pics...
    These threads are my very least favorite to read, but we must. The lessons taught in these accident reports are what may keep some of us alive.

Yes, it's disturbing that these kind of things ever even happen, to good folks.

Let's hope you can get it fixed or replaced and have you back on the road very soon.

Wishing you only good luck, with much happier times ahead...

Chas

Spyder Garage

Default Top Heavy

Glad the ryder and passenger are OK!

Between the DW and I plus some stuff in the bags we are nearing the published weight load limit for our 2011 RT. When we were out the other day with a group of Spyders we occasionally lifted a wheel on the corners when keeping up with the other ryders, many of which were single ryders so they were much lighter than us and quicker around the corners. In addition, I like to goose it around the corners so that doesn't help! I just ignore it and let the nanny do it's thing if it wants to. We have not been anywhere near turning over, just feel the load come off the tire and possibly some traction loss but that traction loss could be imagined. When it happens I have to remind myself to just continue to hold or turn the handlebars in the direction I was going and just drive the Spyder! Reacting or over-reacting could be a really bad thing. The very last time it happened I caught myself (for a very brief moment) trying to correct by turning into oncoming traffic!!!

It is hard for me to get a tire off the ground with only me on it - I've tried - and I'm the heavier one of us. I need to remember when both of us are on we are top heavy and I should either take the corners a bit slower or just keep on - she says as long as we don't roll over it's all fun!

Last edited by WA5VHU; 09-26-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanLong View Post
    We paid 16k for it earlier this year. KBB was over 17k yesterday. So we'd be covered, but replacing it would not be practical, because of the cost of a new one, or even finding a deal like this on a 2012.

It just stinks that such a low speed impact causes this much damage.

I dont think finding another used 2012 would be all that difficult. These spyders are not all that rare.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I dont think finding another used 2012 would be all that difficult. These spyders are not all that rare.
    True- I have been searching cycletrader and they are out there, just have to travel to get them.

Gotta wait and see what the ins co says... might be a week til they have someone come out.

Spyder Garage

Default separation anxiety

After having our own accident just two weeks ago (Fall down Go boom boom thread) I can sympathize with you totally. It is a shock to have tipping issues with a trike that isn't supposed to. Our 2012 RT will be in the shop for quite a while getting a lot of new tupperware and we are missing her greatly.

Most importantly, all humans involved are OK! everything else is a learning experience, for you and all the rest of us who read and discuss your mishap.

Spyder Garage

Glad that everyone is okay and hoping you can be up running soon on a Spyder
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanLong View Post
    True- I have been searching cycletrader and they are out there, just have to travel to get them.

Gotta wait and see what the ins co says... might be a week til they have someone come out.
    Dont forget that if there is not a comparable unit locally, the cost of transport to get the unit to you is part of the claim when figuring price for settlement. Not just KBB.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I can attest to off-camber roads being a real on the Spyder. Many a mountain curve has surprised me with a "weeeeee!!!" moment as a result.

That said, my observations:

1. It's not really necessary to do it while riding casually, but when riding technically, I *always* shift my weight to the inside. Even a single butt-cheek's worth of slip on the seat is almost always more than enough to keep the wheel planted.

2. The Spyder does have a *little* slip before the traction control kicks in. It won't kick the tail out as far as an actual drift, but there's enough there to help you around corners-- it just takes practice to figure out where the "sweet spot" of braking, cornering, and acceleration is.

3. An aftermarket anti-sway bar and upgraded shocks is always an improvement. The only downside to them, I feel, is that while it increases your performance margin, it simultaneously reduces your safety margin. Meaning, with a stock Spyder, the Nanny will kick in long before you hit the edge of the envelope. With a better bar and shocks, you'll be able to take corners at greater speeds before the Nanny kicks in-- which means that, when the Nanny finally *does* kick in, it's trying to save you in a more challenging situation with a lot less margin of error. Thus, when riding, YOU are even more responsible for your safety margin. Caveat emptor.

Anyway, my biggest piece of advice while riding is to always expect the unexpected (which, I guess, makes it all expected, no? ). Every blind corner will be off-camber, covered in gravel, infested with deer, and half-blocked by a logging truck driven by a dozing 95-year-old wondering why he can't get his Jitterbug to text. Do that, and you'll be safe!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Yeah, that's a total loss. You'll be in another spyder no problem. And like you've already found, the deals are definitely out there.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default One extra benefit, if available to yours

My insurance company, offers a depreciation waver for $50.00 a year.

Well worth it, if ever needed...

Chas

Spyder Garage

Default Who is your insurance company?

Quote Originally Posted by ChasCS View Post
    My insurance company, offers a depreciation waver for $50.00 a year.

Well worth it, if ever needed...

Chas
    That sounds like a good deal.
    2016 Freewheeler

2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White (SOLD)

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard