Spyder Garage

Default Finding a good Spyder mechanic

It seems that finding a good mechanic for your Spyder can be a little difficult. I've had my Spyder for a little over a month so it has never been into the shop yet. I have two minor issues and I thought I would take it into my local dealer.

The first issue is that my headlights need adjusting because they are too high. I realize that technically the bulb isn't being adjusted but just the shield but I didn't get technical when I spoke with the service deptartment. I figured they would know what I meant. He told me that the low beam can't be adjusted - only the high beam. He didn't mention anything about the shield. That was the first red flag but I figured we just weren't communicating properly. So I took a chance and tried to adjust it myself and it was easier than I thought. I saved myself $55.

The next issue is that I have a small vibration at certain speeds. I've read what everyone has said about the belt tension and my vibration wasn't that great so I wasn't that worried, but the Owner's Manual says to have it checked, especially if you're within the break-in period. So I told him I wanted the belt tension checked. He said, “Well, you know all I can do with the belt is check the tension and make sure it is within spec. I can’t do anything to adjust it.” He can't adjust it? Isn't he the service department?

So needless to say I am not taking my new Spyder there. I don't want them touching it!
    Tony
    2014 RT

Mods: Adjustable side wind deflectors; Adjustable vented windshield; Rear and front trunk lights; Replaced the foot pegs with Web Boards; Gerbing heater controls; Garmin Zumo 390LM GPS; Fog lights; Front headlamp accent lights; Replaced the standard fender light bulbs with LEDs; BumpSkid; Frunk insert and stripes from WrapMySPyder; BajaRon Swaybar; Laser alignment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Finding a good Technician...
    It's about like finding the right person to spend the rest of your life with; when it's right... you'll know it!
    Seriouly: Forget about the Service Manager. Most of them are writing repair orders because they can't do the work!
    go talk directly with the techs. There's probably going to be some "sheepskins" on the walls around their service area. If not; ask them if they've been to the Schools offered up by BRP. talk to them about the bikes; if they know their ; you'll know it pretty quick!
    Talk to other people who frequent the shops in question. What have have THEIR experiences been like? Word of mouth advertising may not always be accurate; but it sure doesn't hurt to know what the word on the street is!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

we are fortunate to have a Can Am Certified Master tech in Hattieburg but I usually still get a second opinion.

This forum is helpful for that!
    Last edited by Jedye; 09-22-2014 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Wrong topic

Spyder Garage

That is why I bought a service manual and other than the required 600 mile service, I do my own service PERIOD....

If I ever had to take mine into the dealer for service I would mandate that I am able to watch him work on it....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Yep, they are hard to find in the valley. Did you go to Ride Now or Apache?

I hear Peoria Ride Now is pretty good but don't know personally.

Wife has a 2011 RTS/SE5 and I do all the work on hers. We are in Gilbert as well.

If you need help with doing your own maintenance I would be willing to lend a hand. I havent worked on a 14 RT but if you have the manual Im sure we could figure it out.

I feel your pain. We went through the same issues when we first got our RT. And every time at the beginning that they would do the oil change I would have to pull a 1/2 Qt of oil out because they would dump all 5 Qts in it. Then the first time you take off the left panel and find out they dont clean up the oil mess from pulling the trans filter. After that I said forget it, and from then on did all the maintenance and farkling myself. This way I saved $$$ and know it was done to my satisfaction.

Let me know if you ever need a hand. I also have a jack and all the tools if you dont and a garage to work in.

Shane
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

If you're ever in Central, Flarda, Jason with Seminole Power Sports, in Sanford, Florida, is an excellent tech.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tony8472 View Post
    It seems that finding a good mechanic for your Spyder can be a little difficult. I've had my Spyder for a little over a month so it has never been into the shop yet. I have two minor issues and I thought I would take it into my local dealer.

The first issue is that my headlights need adjusting because they are too high. I realize that technically the bulb isn't being adjusted but just the shield but I didn't get technical when I spoke with the service deptartment. I figured they would know what I meant. He told me that the low beam can't be adjusted - only the high beam. He didn't mention anything about the shield. That was the first red flag but I figured we just weren't communicating properly. So I took a chance and tried to adjust it myself and it was easier than I thought. I saved myself $55.

The next issue is that I have a small vibration at certain speeds. I've read what everyone has said about the belt tension and my vibration wasn't that great so I wasn't that worried, but the Owner's Manual says to have it checked, especially if you're within the break-in period. So I told him I wanted the belt tension checked. He said, “Well, you know all I can do with the belt is check the tension and make sure it is within spec. I can’t do anything to adjust it.” He can't adjust it? Isn't he the service department?

So needless to say I am not taking my new Spyder there. I don't want them touching it!
    There are adjustment screws on each side of the headlights. I'd send you the specifics but I can't copy my manual. Here is a website that you can get the entire shop manual, helpful resource.

http://www.repairitmanuals.com/canam...otorcycles.htm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The instructions for headlight adjustment are in the Owner's Manual as well as the shop manual. What speed do you feel the vibration? It is pretty normal on the 2014s to feel harmonic vibration at 70 mph.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    If you're ever in Central, Flarda, Jason with Seminole Power Sports, in Sanford, Florida, is an excellent tech.

Chris
    I just bought my 2014 from them and very pleased with Dealership. I'll take my Spyder to them for service, as well.
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Spyder Garage

Shane, It was Ride Now in Chandler. I'm going to try Apache. I bought it from Ride Now in Goodyear and I would go back to them but I would rather find someplace closer. Thanks for the offer of helping out. I will definitely let you know if I need any.
    Tony
    2014 RT

Mods: Adjustable side wind deflectors; Adjustable vented windshield; Rear and front trunk lights; Replaced the foot pegs with Web Boards; Gerbing heater controls; Garmin Zumo 390LM GPS; Fog lights; Front headlamp accent lights; Replaced the standard fender light bulbs with LEDs; BumpSkid; Frunk insert and stripes from WrapMySPyder; BajaRon Swaybar; Laser alignment.

Spyder Garage

figmotoday, thanks for the link to the manual. That will really come in handy.

SpyderAnn01, I have a very slight vibration at 73 mph and then a slightly stronger one around 81 mph. It wasn't enough to worry about but since the Owner's Manual said to have it checked I thought that I should. That is the only reason I was going to take it in.
    Tony
    2014 RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tony8472 View Post
    Shane, It was Ride Now in Chandler. I'm going to try Apache. I bought it from Ride Now in Goodyear and I would go back to them but I would rather find someplace closer. Thanks for the offer of helping out. I will definitely let you know if I need any.
    Tony,
    The folks at Apache arent that bad. The Spyder tech is pretty decent when I have talked to him a few times we have had our Spyder there.

Let me know if I can help with anything. Riding season is right around the corner for us.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!