Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What type of gas does everyone use

I'm sure this has been asked but what brand and octane level does everyone use. I finally got my mileage up since i started
    shifting better so now i want to know if i really need super or will regular or plus do.
    I use BP, super on my performance vehicles & regular on my basic cars and my yamaha.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Higher supreme, picks my pocket, and hind quarters

I use 94 octane, because it's running rich...

For the rich too... ;-)

Usually from Petro-Can, but never shy shelling out at Shell stations either. Sheesh!!

Chas

Spyder Garage

Here, 90 Octane. The highest available. We have only one refinery in Alaska. All gas brands come from it, so it does not matter what brand you buy, you get the same gas.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default 87 Octane

I know that most everyone on this site will tell you the higher the octane the better. I ran nothing but the highest octane I could get for the first 2000 miles and decided to see what 87 octane would do. We'll, so far I don't notice any performance difference and no engine ping. I will continue to see if that continues.

Spyder Garage

I have tested 87 89 and 93 in all three bikes - 2010, 2012, and 2014.. still feel that 89 gives me the best mileage for the money and I can't discern any better performance from 93.. I did notice a slight degradation in performance with 87. Here they really price gouge on the highest octane (sometimes 60 cents a gallon or more than 87)
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Higher octane won't give you better mileage, contrary to what you might hear or read.
    It will only stop engine pinging... try the lower rating. No ping, go for it!

Of course, BRP could use that against you if you ever had an engine issue and decided to test your fuel... Can't see that happening though.

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

the highest I can find. The brand names with the best additives. This is a large investment for me and will give it the best to keep it in the best condition possible. I don't see why not difference being a buck per tankfull...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

mobile 93 octane
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    the highest I can find. The brand names with the best additives. This is a large investment for me and will give it the best to keep it in the best condition possible. I don't see why not difference being a buck per tankfull...
    When i had my Yamaha it was recommended to use 87. that is what i used, 36,000 not a minute of problems. some folks with the same bike decided to put the highest octane fuel available. their engine carbon-ed up on them using the higher octane. test they did said the higer octane burns slower, thus more carbon. i will stick with the medium grade or lower in the future.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE INFAMOUS OCTANE THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Dgjason View Post
    I know that most everyone on this site will tell you the higher the octane the better. I ran nothing but the highest octane I could get for the first 2000 miles and decided to see what 87 octane would do. We'll, so far I don't notice any performance difference and no engine ping. I will continue to see if that continues.
    .............And everyone here knows it ....BRP's line of whooey not with-standing ............My mechanic ( & best friend ) and I ACTUALLY tested it and found in the 2014 RT anything but 87 is a waste of money ......................let the flaming begin....ha ha ha ..........Mike.................................... .................................................. ...​And for those of you who truly believe and espouse that the 2014 RT MUST use at least 91 Octane ................What do you think is going to happen to the engine if you DON'T...............................I really want your opinions on this question..........I bet I don't get one single answer
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-22-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gimme the bat; I'll take a few more swings at that horse too!
    93... When I had my 998; I found about a 2.5 mpg drop with 87.
    With the 1330; the drop in mileage wasn't as noticeable; but the loss of low-end power was!
    93 only...
    In a typical season of riding; I might re-fuel about 30 times. At the most; that's only about $60 extra for the entire Riding Season. It's worth it to me, to make sure that the bike is getting what it needs.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 09-22-2014 at 06:01 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default fuel

Spyder Garage

Agree!!!!!

Spyder Garage

A buck per tank, don't I wish. Up here its 20 cents plus per litre more for 91. A normal fill up for me is 20 litres. So $4.00 per tank. That really tests my trying to use what BRP reccomends.

Once at a Shell station their 91 was 38 cents per litre more than their 87. That tank was $8.00 more than 87!!

I've been running 87 as a test now for my last 9 tanks. I've not noticed any reduction in performance nor any pinging. My mileage has stayed in average 33.5 mpg same as running 91.

My wife's RT has only ever seen 87 and she with over 180 fill ups has an average of 32 mpg.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Gimme the bat; I'll take a few more swings at that horse too!
    93... When I had my 998; I found about a 2.5 mpg drop with 87.
    With the 1330; the drop in mileage wasn't as noticeable; but the loss of low-end power was!
    93 only...
    In a typical season of riding; I might re-fuel about 30 times. At the most; that's only about $120 extra for the entire Riding Season. It's worth it to me, to make sure that the bike is getting what it needs.
    I have no problem with the price of the gas. it is what is best for the engine. if it was designed for med grade that is what i will use. that is what i have been using so far. that is why i am here to listen and learn.

Spyder Garage

91 Valero if I'm around home.

When the light goes on, whatever is closest and is at least 91.

Trb--

Spyder Garage

I use 91 Esso.
    Have been in the position where I'm out on a ride, need gas and 87 is all that's available.
    Never noticed any performance or mileage depreciation but still put 91 in as my preference...
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Best mileage from 93 Sunoco. Tried 87 and lots of take-off spark knock and loss of low end power. Might try some mid grade after I lose 50 more lbs. Right now I am good with what I'm doing. We just pulled a fully loaded trailer through the Adirondacks and through most of it I ran in 5th gear at about 50mph and just let her pull on her own. If it started to drop RPM I downshifted then. Never got below 4th gear in any of it. Could not have gotten that performance out of 87. Course I don't weigh 100 lbs either.

Spyder Garage

Default 87

in over 40,000 miles, i've tried it all.... and 87 octane is by far your best bet.... heck, why should i pay $3.19 for Premium, when i getting ripped-off at $2.93 for 87...???

btw...... when was the last time anyone was able to buy
    'leaded' gas....??? right, 30 years ago.... so why oh why do gas stations advertise UNLEADED GAS....? duh........
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default EARLIER EXPLANATION

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Best mileage from 93 Sunoco. Tried 87 and lots of take-off spark knock and loss of low end power. Might try some mid grade after I lose 50 more lbs. Right now I am good with what I'm doing. We just pulled a fully loaded trailer through the Adirondacks and through most of it I ran in 5th gear at about 50mph and just let her pull on her own. If it started to drop RPM I downshifted then. Never got below 4th gear in any of it. Could not have gotten that performance out of 87. Course I don't weigh 100 lbs either.
    ...............In an earlier much more detailed explanation about using 87 Octane in the 1330 engine I stated .......If you plan to ride with a Fully loaded trailer and carry a passenger I would advise using 91 octane and also not running in ECO mode .......................Because otherwise it will activate the ANTI-KNOCK feature built in to the computer system..........................You welcome .....Michael So does anyone have an opinion about what will happen to the ( 1330 ) engine if you choose not to use ...91 octane

Spyder Garage

BRP recommend minimum 92 Octane. Here in New Zealand we have 91, 95, 98. My original RS and then my RSS ran great and got best performance and mileage from 91, with the occasional 95 fill up. Tried running my ST on 91 and it didn't like it at all, at my first service, my dealer told me I was using 91 and to stop using it and go to 95, as the engine knock sensor had been woken up quite a few times. No noticeable difference in performance, and I have given up worrying about mileage, I ride to enjoy it.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

94 octane non-ethanol gas. If I'm traveling and can't get non-ETOH gas, I use super with Startron.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .............And everyone here knows it ....BRP's line of whooey not with-standing ............My mechanic ( & best friend ) and I ACTUALLY tested it and found in the 2014 RT anything but 87 is a waste of money ......................let the flaming begin....ha ha ha ..........Mike.................................... .................................................. ...​And for those of you who truly believe and espouse that the 2014 RT MUST use at least 91 Octane ................What do you think is going to happen to the engine if you DON'T...............................I really want your opinions on this question..........I bet I don't get one single answer
    I'm brave or stupid, but I'll take that bet...Like Charlie Daniels,...

So, 87 is the one you prefer. Dare I ask, do you run pump fuel with no additional additives or are you adding other products (not octane booster) to your pump gas? May I ask if you have a preferred brand?

I shall believe you are willing to go with an 87 octane with nothing added.

Without crazy details, there is a difference between detonation and preignition. Often they are posted about on the internet with wrong meanings or applications.

Preignition is the ignition of the compressed air / fuel mixture by typically the spark plug if advanced to much or also, something hot enough in the combustion area to ignite the fuel. This could be overheated carbon deposits, a sharp machined edge from production, a super heated edge of an exhaust valve that is floating or has poor tip clearance and more. Regardless the fuel is ignited and burns at the wrong time. Burning fuel is a controlled burn or flame front. The key is controlled flame, but at the wrong time.

Detonation is an uncontrolled combustion event. Rather than igniting the fuel / air, the compression pressure, too low of an octane, or a manifold pressure that is too high for the relative load can cause the fuel to detonate. Detonating is like TNT or explosives. It is an instantaneous event with no control of the burn to speak of.

So, good inside the combustion chamber is controlled burn, bad is explosions inside the combustion chamber. Detonation is a very high cylinder pressure. The short duration and high pressure can destroy heads, pistons, bend rods, snap cranks, and destroy bearings.

87 vs 91, 93 or even unleaded race gas.

87 octane will burn in the engine. Will it detonate or cause issues. If an engine is monitored by a Knock Sensor, this device has the ability to allow the engine mapping to be taken to the limits of programing, and then if along the way of the ECM adjusting mixture and timing vs temps, Mass Airflow, Manifold pressures and load, it senses a knock. Far more sensitive than what we would hear since the Knock Sensor is feeling the engine, not listening, the ECM will make adjustments to control parameters to remove the knock.

It is true and sometimes discussed that the best octane to run is the lowest possible that will not knock. Typically because the flame will travel faster and utilize all the fuel. Less discussed is that with more octane, and an appropriate engine map, the timing can be increased slightly to allow more time to burn the higher octane fuel.

So why is lower better sometimes. It can be a timeframe situation, in milliseconds, the combustion event takes place. At say 4000 rpm your one cylinder is completing 66.66 firing events per second. Each event requires a precise time, in degrees before top dead center to optimize the engine. If the rpm is doubled to 8000 that is 133.33 events per second, we turn race bikes close to 15000, this is 250 engine events per cylinder, per second.

Why does the octane matter, the often least amount required octane, will reduce the burn time. If the octane is higher and optimized, the timing must be advanced to allow enough time to burn all the fuel. If the timing is advanced, this is beginning the burn more degrees before top dead center. Simply, a few degrees will create more initial pressure to get the engine to turn past top dead center and begin the downward stroke that makes the power.

So why recommend a higher octane. If the fuel burn can begin sooner, and burn longer, there may be more net power from the power stroke. It can also be a short stroke engine or radical port or valve timing that dumps unburned fuel into the exhaust. There are no doubt many variables.

For many years I have tuned 2 strokes. From simple carb tuning of all circuits to port work, case work and even modifying cranks and reed blocks, plus pipes. The high performance 2 stroke is more critical than a 4 stroke in regards to the engine getting less rpm from higher compression, higher case or secondary compression, or less than ideal gasoline and octane. My current 2 stroke everything including lawn equipment runs 100ll avgas with Klotz r50 premix oil. The fuel is stable, does not destroy seals or rubber carb parts. Is the octane too high, maybe for the lawn equipment, but my yard smells like a track when I whippersnipper the grass. My KTM 250, came with a pretty conservative head design. It was capable of running pump gas. The low crank pressure and a squish band dimension and clearance created many problems in power output and the bike would never jet clean. Simply modding the head saw huge gains and easy jetting. The 100ll fuel may seem excessive, but there is benefits to the lead added into the fuel. Overall, simply a good compromise.

I have tested 100ll in my old and now sold YZ426f race bike. One would expect the 100ll to give good results. Did not happen. The tolulene that is in the fuel slows the burn time. Not really a big concern, and was not except to make the engine accelerate. Basically the off corner performance was bogging and had no snap. Pump gas ran better but jet suffered. Running unleaded Sunoco 105 was very good performance wise, but the fuel contained MTBE as an oxygenator, the fumes of the fuel and exhaust were brutal, plus MTBE is not good for you.

In our Spyder we typically run Chevron 93. Not so much for octane, but rather better feel through the mid range power and most importantly the cleaning additives including Techron. I also use a Yamaha product to lessen corrosion and preserve the fuel.

Can lower octane run good and give good numbers, yes. Why does BRP say 91 minimum, they designed the ECM parameters for that octane. Is 93 too high, maybe, we could likely run 91 and see better numbers and save a few dollars.

The best advice is a quality fuel. Consistency counts. In regards to Alaska and other areas where the fuel all comes from the same refinery, yes it does happen. The thing that makes it different is the additive packs are done as it leaves the holding tank and this makes the Chevron / Teaxco different than Exxon / Mobil and those of the corner store.

The chips were pushed into the center of the table...there's more but I need to get bicycle stuff done.

PK

Spyder Garage

This year I have been using ethanol free gas, it is mostly 89 or 90 octane. I get better fuel economy plus I don't worry about the ethanol destroying the fuel system and gumming up the engine. I am getting 200 miles or better on each tank before the low fuel light comes on. There is an app to find stations that sell the good stuff.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't understand all of what was just said; but it sure sounded good!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black