Spyder Garage

Default Another RPM question

I still am playing with the RPM shifting point on the 2014 RTS. Since June the most GPM I have gotten 35.1 and that was only once. I notice that in 6th gear the RPM's will go passed 3000 at speeds over 65, is that normal for others. My 2011 pretty much stayed at 5000 regardless the speed.

What am I doing wrong?

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure that you're doing anything wrong. I've noticed a significant drop in MPG when I increase my cruising speed to 75 mph instead of 70.

Also, how many miles are on the Spyder? What kind of gas are you using? Are you using the eco-assist?

I've got about 3K miles on my '14 RT-L, using 93 octane with ethanol and I'm getting about 35-36 mpg. It's increasing every tank... but slowly.

Spyder Garage

Increases over 3000 rpms do happen at 65+ in 6th gear. Based on what I have seen mentioned on SL this seems to be the norm.

My current mpg hovers at around 40 mpg. My very first tank was 38 mpg. Now 8,200 miles on the odometer.

I do not drive aggressively, and put 90 octane (highest here) in Alaska. If you pick up the speed beyond 55, the does seem to use a bit more gas. The same situation seems to happen with most vehicles.

When not in 6th gear, I keep the operating revs right around that 3,000 rpm "sweet spot." For me, the is then in the power range for climbing hills, or powering up to more speed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've yet to hit 40 mpg and to say I'm not an aggressive drive is an understatement.

Do you use the Eco-Assist? I'm beginning to have my doubts about it's function.

Or maybe it's just this South Louisiana heat evaporating my gas.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jedye View Post
    I've yet to hit 40 mpg and to say I'm not an aggressive drive is an understatement.

Do you use the Eco-Assist? I'm beginning to have my doubts about it's function.

Or maybe it's just this South Louisiana heat evaporating my gas.
    RE: Eco-Assist? I have tried it a couple times and it does nothing for me. I find looking for the shift arrow to be distracting. The shift points are also lower than I like. I shift by the sound of the engine 95% of the time. For me, 2750 - 3000 sounds "the best."

Mileage with Eco-Assist. I ran a full tank through and "played the game" the whole time. I got about 1 mpg better mileage. Not good enough for me to stick with the program.

Eco-Assist rant: I would rather have the power assisted trunk release instead of the Eco-Assist feature.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Eco-Assist rant: I would rather have the power assisted trunk release instead of the Eco-Assist feature.
    +1!!!

You anit lyin'! Having owned an '11 and a '13, the first thing I do when I get off my '14 is try to mash down that button... only to be disappointed when it doesn't go anywhere. /rant

I shift by sound too... don't really look down at the arrows much, like you said... too distracting and really not safe. I'm usually in 6th gear by 40 mph.

Then again, I'm fat.... so maybe that's what's sucking down my MPG.

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure that you're doing anything wrong. I've noticed a significant drop in MPG when I increase my cruising speed to 75 mph instead of 70.

Also, how many miles are on the Spyder? What kind of gas are you using? Are you using the eco-assist?

I've got about 3K miles on my '14 RT-L, using 93 octane with ethanol and I'm getting about 35-36 mpg. It's increasing every tank... but slowly.
    I have 2300 miles on it and use high octane( 91 in California). I don't use ECO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

These things have the aerodynamics of a Barn Door! If you want it to hurt less at the pump; you HAVE to be aware of the duet that's going on between your right wrist, and the loud grop!

4300 miles... Overall average of 39.5 mpg!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsd1 View Post
    I have 2300 miles on it and use high octane( 91 in California). I don't use ECO
    I'm going to try some non-ethanol gas on my next tank.
    Also, I know keeping track of it on every fill up helps me to be more cognizant of driving habits.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I am not sure how the RPM's stay constant regardless of speed. Seems like a violation of the laws of physics.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joebryanjr View Post
    I am not sure how the RPM's stay constant regardless of speed. Seems like a violation of the laws of physics.
    RPM's are a combination of speed and gear choices.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    RPM's are a combination of speed and gear choices.
    Exactly! Unless you have infinitely variable gear ratios RPM changes with speed.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Default MPG

i just picked up my 14 RT LTD last Thursday. only have 225 miles on it. First tank got 37.6 mpg. Filled up at about 260 miles. 80 miles were hwy miles rest was stop and go around town. it should only get better from here.

2014 RT Limited, #0085 Silver Platinum Satin with Black Seat
    Spyderpops Bump Skid Plate, Belt Guard, IPS, SS Knott Grilles,
    Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Passenger Arm Rest, 3 pc Lid Net Set,
    Smart Mount Driver Backrest, Windshield Dash Pouch System,
    TRICLED Blinkers and Brake Lights.
    Too Many Toys and Not Enough Time!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was tickled that my very first tank came in at 37, most of that was 2up and over 70. Fuels do matter, we don't oxygenate fuel here or other Californications...which could affect some folks. Of course that's one tank so no clue if that's accurate, may simply have not filled it full.

Our non-eth has jumped quite a bit for some reason, maybe because boating season is ending, so it's .70 gal diff between 91 no eth and 93 eth. Don't know if I'll try no-eth with the 2014.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Spyder Garage

My 2014 ACE 1330 has been confined to Alaska its first year of operation. Compared to my Rotax 990, I am very happy with the results. Don't know how either would operate on ethanol, etc. Rotax give me average 30 - 31 mpg and ACE give me 40 - 41 average mpg. 1330 compared to 990, I am very pleased.

2020 F3L , Magma Red