Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default First long ride with the wife,.......seat has got to go!

Me and the wife never got to go on any long rides on the 13 (whole nother story) and now with the 14 we finally got our first long ride in and the BRP "comfort" seat has got to go! Wife said no more long rides till we figure something out. I must admit that about 170 or so miles in my ass was done! 200 in and she was ready to rent a car to get home. I have tried the Ultimate but it caused me "hot spots" on the back of my thighs, I have set on Corbins and I feel cramped so now were looking into a Russell Day-long seat to see if I can get some decent comfort on the Spyder.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The Russell Day Long seat worked for us. Now that it is broke in, about 4000 miles, we can sit in it all day long. No it did not take 4000 miles to break it in, at 1000 it was 95% there. Good Luck and remember to send them lots of pictures.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One of our sponsors Motorcycle Dave does custom seats.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got no practical experience with the Russell Seats; but I've also heard nothing but good about them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I feel fortunate that with three Spyders, all with stock seats, that we have ridden 100000 miles and always felt comfortable. I hope there is comfort in your future
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've had Day Longs on all my previous bikes and currently have one in make for my ST-S.
    Can't wait to get it... As long as you get driver & passenger seats made up, your wife will be stroking the back of your neck again, rather than slapping it!!
    Last edited by zamfield; 09-22-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default SEATS

Before you spend a lot of $ on another seat you might try an Airhawk cushion. It might do the trick and cost much, much less.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I posted a similar experience and I think I'm leaning toward the Ultimate Seat (tallboy). Russell Day Long seats looked pretty good too and I haven't found anyone to say something bad about them.

Spyder Garage

Seats. Another one of the great mysteries of life. One person's pleasure is another's pain. A gazillion options and most cost about $1,000.

Have had experience with OEM, Corbin, and BRP Comfort seats. I like them in the order I have listed. Last to first.

I also use an AirHawk cushion and have a sheepskin gel seat cover. Yesterday, I had to use the AirHawk for the first time in a couple thousand miles.

I sincerely hope you can get the seat situation solved. A bad feeling seat can make a great riding day go sour quickly. Passenger accommodations never seem to be as good as the pilot's. Hope you can get your situation figured out.

EDIT: I will add that the OEM on my 2014 is better than all the previous editions. I let it go 5,000 miles before it seemed to be broke in (less pain per miles). I can now tolerate 150 miles rides, but occasionally bring out one of the cushion pads. Not sure if I may go for a comfort seat or attach the Corbin I have on the shelf during this winter.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-22-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    I feel fortunate that with three Spyders, all with stock seats, that we have ridden 100000 miles and always felt comfortable. I hope there is comfort in your future

(40,000 miles three Spyders with stock seats, the 14 is the best though) They work for some but not others.

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Great Seat

Bought the Ultimate seat with both back rests 2 weeks after purchasing my spyder. Both wife and I find the ride much improved. We are light weights (175 and 115). Before anyone asks, she's 115.... After 52 years of marriage. Wow, come to think of it, she started out that way.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

did you try gel pads, i got mine from daves

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    did you try gel pads, i got mine from daves
    Do you find the Gel pads hold heat, or don't work as well when they've sat out in the sun?
    I had this issue on a R1200GS before and swore I wouldn't go back to them.

As has been said though... Different strokes for different folks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Before you spend a lot of $ on another seat you might try an Airhawk cushion. It might do the trick and cost much, much less.
    I use an Airhawk R & find it to be very comfortable. The wife says that her (stock) seat is plenty comfortable for her.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I've had good luck with Corbin but they're not for everyone. I have also had seats reformed by a qualified craftsman with good results at a much lower price than that of a new seat. They can take your measurements, weight and height and reshape your seat to conform to you and even add pads or change the foam itself what ever it takes to suit your needs. The only problem is you will not be able to ride until they finish your seat.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SEATS AND BUTTS AND EXPECTATIONS

​Some people are not destined or designed to ride Motorcycles ......of any kind ...............JMHO.....Mike...................... ...................................That being said , I could probably design a frame to mount a " Lazy - Boy " to an RT......or Barco-lounger ..................It might not be pretty but it would be comfortable !!!!!!
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-22-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

A place in Slidell sells gel pads for motorcycles and I'll try that out too...but for me, it's more about riding position. I could stand to be 2-3 inches further back. That's why I'm leaning toward the Ultimate seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jedye View Post
    A place in Slidell sells gel pads for motorcycles and I'll try that out too...but for me, it's more about riding position. I could stand to be 2-3 inches further back. That's why I'm leaning toward the Ultimate seat.
    how tall are you?

Spyder Garage

Every bodies rear is different. Sit on as many different seats as you can before you decide which is best for the both of you...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Seats are truly a personal experience. I was big into long distance riding for a long time. My R80RT had a Russell and was one of the best seats I've ever had. My 2k Tiger 900 had a Mayer, another good custom seat maker, also quite comfy.

There was a good deal here on SL for a used corbin so I picked it up, usually I find corbin a bit too hard, but this one had 8k miles on it, and broke in a bit. Feels really good, has dual heat but I doubt I'll hook that up even for winter riding.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Got em, no help for the wife. She just cant get comfortable on that seat.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    (40,000 miles three Spyders with stock seats, the 14 is the best though) They work for some but not others.

Cruzr joe
    Only tried the stock 14 seat for the 42 miles home, I'm just way too tall for a stock seat.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    One of our sponsors Motorcycle Dave does custom seats.
    I don't have a seat from Dave, but I have looked into his operation and read reviews. Seems like he does quality custom work. I'd give him a call and tell him exactly what is causing concern. See if he can help you.

http://www.motorcycledave.com/custom-seats-heaters

I've also read a lot of good reviews about the DayLong seats. The others seem to have mixed review - good for some, not so good for others.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-23-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    My stock Spyder seat is the most comfortable seat I've ever had. But I'm 6' and 165 pounds.
    3:16

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Me and the wife never got to go on any long rides on the 13 (whole nother story) and now with the 14 we finally got our first long ride in and the BRP "comfort" seat has got to go! Wife said no more long rides till we figure something out. I must admit that about 170 or so miles in my ass was done! 200 in and she was ready to rent a car to get home. I have tried the Ultimate but it caused me "hot spots" on the back of my thighs, I have set on Corbins and I feel cramped so now were looking into a Russell Day-long seat to see if I can get some decent comfort on the Spyder.
    You cannot go wrong with the day-long as that has been the best seat I have ever had on a motorcycle. They are spendie, but along the same lines as other custom seats. They have the best warranty in the business and give you months to try it out and after two attempts to make it right will give you your money back if you don't like it.

You do have to give them a seat so do this when you have down time like winter, or pick up someone's take off to send them.

Let us know what you end up doing.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue