Spyder Garage

Default my dealer zucker punched me!

hello everyone. I just thought I would share this first time experience with my local dealer.
    just got my spyder back after a warranty service ...spyder was running lean on both banks and they replaced those 2 vacuum hoses again for the 4th time and the purge valve aswell.
    had it for maybe 2 weeks and maybe 300 mi. AND my spyder threw an engine light warning (P0171 lean on 1 bank).took it in for repair....kept it for 2 weeks and called and told me
    battery is weak and cannot proceed untill new battery is in. ok- on new battery! waited another day and they called and informed me that it was running LEAN because of my power
    management (power comander 5 with auto tune) so they need to do a fuel enrichment reprogram of my Pcv. OUT of warranty.....payed out 435.00 which included rags , solvents, misc shop
    supplies. I argued my case with the service manager to no avail, so- I payed and with due respect I will be back for another round with the owner when I cool off for a couple of days!
    heres the facts-
    this spyder was bought new and have always gotten the lean codes P0171 and P0172 from the get go (NO MODS)
    I had the dealer install cat -delete pipe and after market muffler and at the time the tech informed me to invest on a power manager. and I did at about 700$.
    the battery I understand and payed the high price 150.00 +labor ...BUT ..I should not had have to pay for labor on running lean condition.This is what I need to know from you spyder guys?
    OR should I just leave it alone? - my dealer in the long run has been generally good to me.
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

On this forum some else was having codes using the power commander the install of that part will not be covered by the bike warranty, they removed the PC problem fixed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've done a lot of modifications to your bike...
    I kind of lost track of the lean codes; were you having them even after the hoses were replaced?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

the hid you list, are they factory..?? You also mention a lot of leds. Have seen problems with the computers when aftermarket leds were installed...depending on the pipe installed you may not need any fuel controler. Maybe just a better air filter (K&N) or other. I run a JT air cleaner ram air and a hindle pipe with no controler. The hoses should be replaced with neoprene type so they don't deform or zip them on...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I'd dump the power commander - don't really need one on the RT with your mods. I had all of those on my 2010, w/o the PC and had no problems...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Codes

I just instaleed a cat-delete and JT's air filter and have not had any codes.....so far....

Spyder Garage

Default yay n nay

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You've done a lot of modifications to your bike...
    I kind of lost track of the lean codes; were you having them even after the hoses were replaced?
    once hoses were replaced -would last maybe a few months then they would crack , peel off , or get loose and throw a lean code. 1 week ago I got them replaced along with a purge valve.
    I hope that with that repair AND this latest service will be the end of it. important fact remains that I had those lean codes with a new spyder and NO mods ! so those problems are what s called pre-existing.
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

Default nope

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    the hid you list, are they factory..?? You also mention a lot of leds. Have seen problems with the computers when aftermarket leds were installed...depending on the pipe installed you may not need any fuel controler. Maybe just a better air filter (K&N) or other. I run a JT air cleaner ram air and a hindle pipe with no controler. The hoses should be replaced with neoprene type so they don't deform or zip them on...
    Chupaca buddy -I installed HID's and alot of LEDs and have absolutely no problems with electrical problems other then the battery given out in less then 2 yrs. and just found out that the battery
    they sold me still only has a 90 day waranty- which zucks for 150.00 + labor 220.00 out of the door! may invest in a lithium battery?
    power comander 5 with auto tune was bought at the request and opinion of the tech. !
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazyspyder View Post
    once hoses were replaced -would last maybe a few months then they would crack , peel off , or get loose and throw a lean code. 1 week ago I got them replaced along with a purge valve.
    Did you stick with BRP hoses? I have heard that you can buy aftermarket silicon replacements from just about any auto parts store. They're cheaper, and a WHOLE lot more durable.

Spyder Garage

I had a problem with P0174 until I removed the fuel evap canister and vented to the back of the Spyder. That eliminates the purge valve and eliminates the risk of fire due to the evap canister melting. Mine had melted a hole into it, which was replaced with the heat shielding added. However, I did not trust the fix and removed it. No more lean codes. I too have the cat delete and an Akropovic muffler. I do not need or have a power commander. For whatever it is worth.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Spyder Garage

Default dARN it !

My back in the dealer shop.... Po171 A G A I N....I aint paying this time ! this will make #9 for the same instance
    I thinking maybe I have a LEMON here.....aaaahhh what to do?
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please let us know what they find this time... Good luck!

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Lemon Law

My back in the dealer shop.... Po171 A G A I N....I aint paying this time ! this will make #9 for the same instance
    I thinking maybe I have a LEMON here.....aaaahhh what to do?
    Texas does have a Lemon Law. Local Spyder rider got rid of his problem prone 2009 and got a 2010 RT. Was satisfied with price difference.

Just a thought.

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just remember...
    Once you pull the pin on THAT grenade; People won't be so willing to answer the phone when you call... It'll change the entire tone of each and every conversation that you have...

...Just sayin'...

Spyder Garage

Default happy camper- for now!

statue of limitations on lemon law partaining to a motorcycle or motor vehicle, rv, bots ...etc . 24 months from date of purchase. dang I 'm out by 4 mo. anyways the
    status of my ride as of today ;
    per BRP assistance in resolving the issue.
    they are to tear down, strip, remove, clean and inspect everything and everything that has to do with a vacuum leak or making the bike lean -out. UNDER warranty !
    they have just finished installing new throttle bodies and expect to be in their shop another week.
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to hear that you're making progress with this...
    It may not have been easy; but it WILL be worth it!

Spyder Garage

Default I need a good beer

after a happy week of riding .... back to the dealers shop it went....TODAY at 1:30 pm ....( sight -pffft -pffft) same ole thing!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT A GOOD DEALER ?

OH, I HAD THE SAME CODES, IN LESS THAN 1 WEEK MY DEALER REPLACED O2 SENSOR, VAPOR CANISTER PURGE VALVE, 55 MILES LATER, SAME CODE - CALLED DEALER, THEY CALLED CAN AM [ CAN AN TOLD THEM TO REPLACE THE FOLLOWING ] 1 WEEK WHEN PARTS CAME IN - DEALER REPLACED THROTTLE BODY AND ANOTHER O2 SENSOR AS WELL AS INSULATED TUBES W/ HEAT RESISTANT TAPE ? I WAS NEVER CHARGED 1 CENT FOR ALL THESE REPAIRS AND HAVE 2000 MILES SINCE LAST DEALER VISIT - NO ENGINE LIGHT AND NO CODES !!!!! I THINK YOUR DEALER IS JERKING YOUR CHAIN - UNLESS HE IS A VERY HUGE DEALER HE IS VERY, VERY LAX ON SERVICE !!!!! JUST MY OPINION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello everyone. I just thought I would share this first time experience with my local dealer.
    just got my spyder back after a warranty service ...spyder was running lean on both banks and they replaced those 2 vacuum hoses again for the 4th time and the purge valve aswell.
    had it for maybe 2 weeks and maybe 300 mi. AND my spyder threw an engine light warning (P0171 lean on 1 bank).took it in for repair....kept it for 2 weeks and called and told me
    battery is weak and cannot proceed untill new battery is in. ok- on new battery! waited another day and they called and informed me that it was running LEAN because of my power
    management (power comander 5 with auto tune) so they need to do a fuel enrichment reprogram of my Pcv. OUT of warranty.....payed out 435.00 which included rags , solvents, misc shop
    supplies. I argued my case with the service manager to no avail, so- I payed and with due respect I will be back for another round with the owner when I cool off for a couple of days!
    heres the facts-
    this spyder was bought new and have always gotten the lean codes P0171 and P0172 from the get go (NO MODS)
    I had the dealer install cat -delete pipe and after market muffler and at the time the tech informed me to invest on a power manager. and I did at about 700$.
    the battery I understand and payed the high price 150.00 +labor ...BUT ..I should not had have to pay for labor on running lean condition.This is what I need to know from you spyder guys?
    OR should I just leave it alone? - my dealer in the long run has been generally good to me.

Spyder Garage

Default NOT EVEN 1 full day- wow!

1 day ...1 day...6hr drive, my ride threw an engine warning with P0171 / P0172 / P0175 MEAN N LEAN again no limp mode so I drove it straight to my dealer. my other sweet half
    was with me ...and .... believe me - she WAS not happyand NOT sweet! don't know what they did but the gas steench was very strong the whole time of driving-SO why running LEAN codes
    I will keep posting until it's fully resolved.......LOST for words........sssiiight pppffft... going mad going crazzzy duugh
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Time for a new dealer!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Power Commander may not be needed.

I have a 2011 RT and had similar codes after installing the PCV. I had installed it in combination with a Two Brothers pipe and K&N filter hoping for a decent power gain. All I got was check engine codes every 150 miles. I removed the PCV and have since added a cat-delete pipe and a Kewl Metal filter And haven't had any codes appear in the 3000 miles since.

Spyder Garage

Default stock

Quote Originally Posted by SPWmike75 View Post
    I have a 2011 RT and had similar codes after installing the PCV. I had installed it in combination with a Two Brothers pipe and K&N filter hoping for a decent power gain. All I got was check engine codes every 150 miles. I removed the PCV and have since added a cat-delete pipe and a Kewl Metal filter And haven't had any codes appear in the 3000 miles since.
    I am inclined to believe that now and have talked to the dealer to return everything to stock. JUST tired of the situation and missing my bike rides- they also agreed. they are funding
    the repairs since they were the ones that recommended that I needed a fuel management system , installed cat-delete and after market muffler., and I am ok with that! IF the problem
    is gone for good I will miss my PCV and after market muffler though.
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

Default returned to stock

hello fello My Rt has been bugged free for 3 weeks AND it feels good to be mounting her! the dealer took off the PCv and
    the after market exhaust. re-adjusted the nanny and thoroughly cleaned and inspected everything under the tupperware.
    IT is running fantastic..... they told me the spyder didn't have enough back pressure for the set up that I had
    it was on their dime so I didn't argue about it and learned a valuable lesson , '' don't mess with somethings you know nothing about''.
    RIDE SAFE EVERY ONE!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default congrats!

Glad you are back in the saddle again