Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Shifting Problems

The problem is won't shift sometimes up or down and sometimes it doesn't go in to gear. I stop and let it set for a 5 to 10 minutes and then it works great, sometimes for days. Any help?

Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MY 2011 RSS

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    The problem is won't shift sometimes up or down and sometimes it doesn't go in to gear. I stop and let it set for a 5 to 10 minutes and then it works great, sometimes for days. Any help?

Mike
    .....​My RSS slowly began same symptoms....occasional code etc........got more frequent ..........dealer couldn't diagnose etc.........BRP tech " Danny " at Spyderfest 2014 torn it down and said shifter ( SE-5 ) going bad , only sending an intermittent signal to the computer onto the transmission etc.............Dealer finally replaced shifter under warranty................has been working perfect since ...............Funny thing was at the DRAGS it worked better than perfect I got a Trophy.....go figure ... ....Mike

Spyder Garage

You have been around the board a long time so you already know this but to get it out of the way. Oil level and is the shift lever tightly clamped onto the spline shaft.

IMO first figure out if it is electrical or mechanical. Easy to do if you can reproduce the problem stopped at idle. When you flick the floppy paddle for a gear change and absolutely nothing happens it is electrical. If it tries but fails (Blipper bumps the throttle up to 2,000 rpm, max 3 times. some motion in the shift linkage). Then it is a hydraulic/mechanical problem.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You have been around the board a long time so you already know this but to get it out of the way. Oil level and is the shift lever tightly clamped onto the spline shaft.

IMO first figure out if it is electrical or mechanical. Easy to do if you can reproduce the problem stopped at idle. When you flick the floppy paddle for a gear change and absolutely nothing happens it is electrical. If it tries but fails (Blipper bumps the throttle up to 2,000 rpm, max 3 times. some motion in the shift linkage). Then it is a hydraulic/mechanical problem.
    Thanks for your input. When I am moving and it does not shift down when I hit the paddle and it does nothinig. What ever gear I am in it stays there and when it resets and not running it goes back to Neutral, then I start the engine it shifts down to neutral. The blipper never blips. The oil level is where I always keep it and the shift lever is tight. When fails it always fails on the down shift. The problem is that I can not make it happen. It only happens a few times and not every time I ride. The last ride was a 200 mile ride in the mountains and I that makes for a lot of shifting and it failed just two times.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Are you getting any codes? Sound similar to mine when the paddle shifter needed changing. I had code P0826
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....​My RSS slowly began same symptoms....occasional code etc........got more frequent ..........dealer couldn't diagnose etc.........BRP tech " Danny " at Spyderfest 2014 torn it down and said shifter ( SE-5 ) going bad , only sending an intermittent signal to the computer onto the transmission etc.............Dealer finally replaced shifter under warranty................has been working perfect since
    That sure sounds like about the same thing that you've described, and Mike has layed-out a course of action for your dealer.

Please let us know what they find; Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Topshotta View Post
    Are you getting any codes? Sound similar to mine when the paddle shifter needed changing. I had code P0826
    I'm not getting any codes. I'm going to look up that code in my manual and thanks for the info.

Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm not getting any codes. I'm going to look up that code in my manual and thanks for the info.

Mike
    P0826 is the paddle shifter fault code. If you had that code it would mean the paddle shifter switch is bad or the connection to it is. But you don't have that code. it is possible that it has gone inactive and won't show on code recall procedure. Need to hook up to buds to see if it occurred. Or the next time it fails to shift, stop and check right away for a code. If it is still under warranty time to take it in and have it looked at. If the warranty is done, the left button cluster is pricey and I would want more evidence it is bad before replacing it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Had the same problem and my dealer had my bike for three weeks while they and BRP talked. Came down to an oil problem. Changed the oil and all is fine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    P0826 is the paddle shifter fault code. If you had that code it would mean the paddle shifter switch is bad or the connection to it is. But you don't have that code. it is possible that it has gone inactive and won't show on code recall procedure. Need to hook up to buds to see if it occurred. Or the next time it fails to shift, stop and check right away for a code. If it is still under warranty time to take it in and have it looked at. If the warranty is done, the left button cluster is pricey and I would want more evidence it is bad before replacing it.
    I looked it up under section 05 subsection 8 and under Gearbox does not shift into gear (up down or reverse) and followed the guidelines. How I need B.U.D.S, so off to a dealer. I can not just buy to $20.00 switch, I have to buy the shifter cluster for $151.99. Thanks for help and I am going to do another ride and see if it stop shifting and maybe it will give me a code. I have to put the panels back on and I have some work to do on the charcoal canister, so I can drain it with out removing it. I'm running out of projects to do, so I guess I'll buy another one.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default same issue

Mike
    Had this issue, i had to put some oil in and it magically stopped happening.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaDrkmysta View Post
    Had this issue, i had to put some oil in and it magically stopped happening.
    Thanks for the tip. That's the first thing I checked the oil and it's was right where I always keep it a 1/4 inch down from the full mark. I have 2011 RS-S SE5 and it uses a very little oil, I add about 4 to 6 OZ. every 4,000 miles.

Mikie

Spyder Garage

Default Update on SE5 Shifting problem

They found the problem and order the part, so I'll be getting back soon.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN ND !!!!!!!!!

They found the problem and order the part, so I'll be getting back soon.

Mike
    ....Your not going to give us any more info than this ..............That's just plain mean .......Mike

Spyder Garage

....Your not going to give us any more info than this ..............That's just plain mean .......Mike
    Mike;
    They are replacing the gear box position sensor (GBPS) and that's the rest of the story. As of 10/5/2014 1:52 PM.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Default YEP

Mike;
    They are replacing the gear box position sensor (GBPS) and that's the rest of the story. As of 10/5/2014 1:52 PM.
    Mike
    .....Thanks Mike .....I think everybody wanted to know this too..........And that was what mine was also .......Not all the time just intermittent.....but it was getting worse ....glad they found it ..................Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike;
    Mike
    Let us know if it fixes your problem. I suspect it won't.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Nov. Update still in the shop!

Got it back on Oct./21/2014. It lasted 57 miles and stopped shifting. I took it back and it's still there. They replaced the TCM twice, Gear Positioning Sensor four times. Went in to the shop on Sept./30/2014 and still there today the 17th of Nov. 2014, 49 days and counting. I missed the whole fall season! A BRP tech "Danny" knew how to fix it, I guess he didn't share that with the rest of the BRP techs. This is a case of no service after the sale, once you have a BRP product your stuck with this piece of crap.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeinGA; 11-17-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that they didn't get it on the first attempt...
    Do they have this fellow "Danny"; on the case now?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default DANNY ?

Interesting .....I wonder if your " DANNY ", was the same Danny (BRP Tech ) that correctly diagnosed my shifter ( SE-5 ) problems ( that the dealer couldn't ) at Spyderfest 2014.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Interesting .....I wonder if your " DANNY ", was the same Danny (BRP Tech ) that correctly diagnosed my shifter ( SE-5 ) problems ( that the dealer couldn't ) at Spyderfest 2014.....Mike
    Mike,
    Yes I was referring to your Danny. Update, talked to the shop that has my Spyder. They said it's wiring problem and that they were going to replace the wiring.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default DANNY

Mike,
    Yes I was referring to your Danny. Update, talked to the shop that has my Spyder. They said it's wiring problem and that they were going to replace the wiring.

Mike
    .....Well that's good news because if He is assisting your dealer's mechanics they are learning from one of the BEST .......Mike

Spyder Garage

.....Well that's good news because if He is assisting your dealer's mechanics they are learning from one of the BEST .......Mike
    Mike;
    The rewiring failed, the tech got stock during the test and had to ride it back in 1st gear. There going to replace the paddle switch, maybe I'll have it by Thanksgiving.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Default YEP

Mike;
    The rewiring failed, the tech got stock during the test and had to ride it back in 1st gear. There going to replace the paddle switch, maybe I'll have it by Thanksgiving.
    Mike
    ..... Mike Mine was the switch also.......I'm wondering if they actually took " DANNY'S " recommendation, ( He said get switch replaced ) maybe they tried to go cheap way ???????.................just sayin !!!!!.....................nothing DEALERS try and do surprises me any more ............................Mike

Spyder Garage

..... Mike Mine was the switch also.......I'm wondering if they actually took " DANNY'S " recommendation, ( He said get switch replaced ) maybe they tried to go cheap way ???????.................just sayin !!!!!.....................nothing DEALERS try and do surprises me any more ............................Mike
    Mike;
    All this work is begging done under warranty.
    Mike