Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Yet another....upgraded to 2014 today

Yes, I said I wouldn't, all I can say now is, don't ever try out a '14 Spyder if you own an earlier model. Don't even start to look at the specs or how much nicer the dipstick location/operation is, battery, etc. Definitely do not start comparing how much further you can go on a tank or how much less the daily commute will cost.

Walked into dealer this AM just to get an idea of numbers....rode out 3 hours later on a new Cognac. Debating on moving my corbin dual heat seat over, but may just sell it since the stock seat seems pretty good.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Yep....

...same disease hit my brother. Got same color as well. Maybe it is the color that gets ya?

Enjoy your new ride.

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

The earlier models were great, but the 14 is better. I call it more refined. Enjoy your new machine.

Spyder Garage

Default Ahhh..!!

the dreaded/loved test ryde will do it every time...but deep down you have to have that inkling, desire, yearn for something more. I for one love my RS and have not the slightest wish to change or test ryde 14's or 15's and know all the spec's and reviews. Congrats on your new ryde...enjoy and be safe..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

on the new ride. I found it took almost 5,000 miles before I was comfortable with the OEM seat--it's not perfect, but I still have my Corbin and backrest on the shelf from when I traded in the 2010. Just in case.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Dealer VooDoo = make them test drive a 14.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We warned you...

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsrider View Post
    Yes, I said I wouldn't, all I can say now is, don't ever try out a '14 Spyder if you own an earlier model. Don't even start to look at the specs or how much nicer the dipstick location/operation is, battery, etc. Definitely do not start comparing how much further you can go on a tank or how much less the daily commute will cost.

Walked into dealer this AM just to get an idea of numbers....rode out 3 hours later on a new Cognac. Debating on moving my corbin dual heat seat over, but may just sell it since the stock seat seems pretty good.
    If you like the Corbin, don't let it go.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default Keep the Corbin!!!

Yeah, the production seats are better than before but that is not saying much. If you plan to highway ryde, you need to switch your Corbin onto the 2014. I spent too much time choosing my wife's (Corbin short) and my seat (Ultimate Longboy) with backrests to go back to that cheap production saddle. A quality seat on the 2014 RT is a dream machine.

I agree with other ryders; do NOT test drive a 2014 unless you have the financial ability to make the trade!!

Super Senior Member
    Spyder Garage

Had 2009 yellow 2012 lava bronze rts limited 2013 yellow rts last weekend traded for 2014 yellow rts
    2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze
    Inspector Gadgets cupholder & rear deck brake light

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

First Ryde today. Yesterday was really too tired, put it in the garage with 14 miles on the clock. Spent all day Friday riding trails and MX on the KTM and I'm really too old for that .

Wife and I took the new spyder out for lunch after church today, close to a 100 mile round trip.

Asked her what she thought (she doesn't use message boards, or internet really), "smooth, and quiet". I said for 13k difference it should be. After i ducked the roundhouse and hid for awhile she had calmed down and said she really likes it . At 70mph radio only has to go halfway up now, instead of all the way.

Stock seat is coming off this evening. It is better than the 2012's stock was, but an hour in that saddle is more than I can handle, especially after having bouncing around on a dirt bike seat.

I can feel the 'loss' of my baja ron sway bar, it's a bit 'darty' on any corner. That'll be the first add-on.

Love this thing. Year round riding here for those who can handle 13f or so, which I usually am, so I'm looking forward to really running up the counter.
    Eric
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    Had 2009 yellow 2012 lava bronze rts limited 2013 yellow rts last weekend traded for 2014 yellow rts
    Lilly,
    I don't think you'll be trading the 2014 for a long time.
    I traded my 2012 RTS-SE5 in for a 2014 RTL-SE6 in Cognac on 9-11-14. A world of difference between these spyders. I think you will agree!
    Ride safe girl, may meet up sometime and we can kick the tires.

Richard

Congrats Woodsrider!
    Last edited by A1A; 09-23-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Spyder Garage

CONGRATS!!!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Walked into dealer this AM just to get an idea of numbers....rode out 3 hours later on a new Cognac. .
    Cognac Up... ...Drink!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

First Ryde today. Yesterday was really too tired, put it in the garage with 14 miles on the clock. Spent all day Friday riding trails and MX on the KTM and I'm really too old for that .

Wife and I took the new spyder out for lunch after church today, close to a 100 mile round trip.

Asked her what she thought (she doesn't use message boards, or internet really), "smooth, and quiet". I said for 13k difference it should be. After i ducked the roundhouse and hid for awhile she had calmed down and said she really likes it . At 70mph radio only has to go halfway up now, instead of all the way.

Stock seat is coming off this evening. It is better than the 2012's stock was, but an hour in that saddle is more than I can handle, especially after having bouncing around on a dirt bike seat.

I can feel the 'loss' of my baja ron sway bar, it's a bit 'darty' on any corner. That'll be the first add-on.

Love this thing. Year round riding here for those who can handle 13f or so, which I usually am, so I'm looking forward to really running up the counter.
    I like the way you think. 3 Water Buffalos, etc.....
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Congrats to you!! I can see many miles of smiles in your future..
    2014 Silver RT-Limited
    Baker Built Air Wings
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    BajaRon Billet Aluminum Heim Joints
    LED’s On Mirrors
    Aluminum Diamond Plate Mud flap

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/can...lly4644/302033

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Happened to me... Difference is I rode in on two wheels, but the dealer wasn't interested in part-exchanges... A week later and a bike sold, money in my hand, I rode home the '14 STS!

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the purchase! Cognac is a great color!

Spyder Garage

I'm sure you read all the warnings....try it and you'll buy it! Welcome to the wonderful world of 2014 RT's!

2014 RT Limited - Black / Currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    I like the way you think. 3 Water Buffalos, etc.....
    Thanks. The buffaloes are a passion. One is an unrestored original in really nice condition. Two are full on bare frame 'rescue' projects that are in many pieces. Have two others that are parts donors.
    Eric
    2014 RT-S Cognac

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Congrats!

Spyder Garage

Warranty replacement tires did wonders for that darty feeling on my 2014.
    3:16

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Cognac Up... ...Drink!
    We did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, although my wife made me bring my helmet!
    3:16

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mtdoragary View Post
    Warranty replacement tires did wonders for that darty feeling on my 2014.
    I'd be interested in learning what your strategy was for presenting this to dealer and getting their buy in. Is there a wear characteristic you were able to point out or some other factor showing the dodgy tires.

Would love to get this fixed, it's not horrible but it's just less stable feeling than the '12, which it shouldn't be.
    Eric
    2014 RT-S Cognac