Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default arm

I did not ask them. I will next week Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    That's amazing.....was this done with a rod ( ie arc welded ) and if so what type of metal was the rod made of ???....... mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronsam View Post
    Yes you can weld it . You need to sandblast first . I just weld my arm. If you do not sandblast the weld explode and you can not weld it. I will tried to add some photo next time

Thanks

Nicely done. Nicely done indeed !
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by noboot View Post
    I do know of some guys that have undercoated and painted my Billet arm to match the colour of their Spyder.

Also we are now planning (very slowly) to make up a three (3) arm kit as there has been one case here in Australia where one of the side arms did a fair amount of damage at the same time as the centre arm snapped at highway speed.
    Would you be able to make up a kit for the two guide arms for those of us who have already changed out the center arm ?

Incidentally, the "New And Improved" BRP part doesn't change the center arm. The improvement modifies the screws that hold the center arm to the windshield.

I had this modification made to my 2014 RT during my last service. The technician at the shop was very impressed with the quality of noboot's (Ron's) center arm. He's sure it will outlast the Spyder.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
    We were all packed for the long weekend and 30 miles into our ride to the mountains. I hear her over the intercom something broke on my windshield. Sure enough the support arm on the her 2012 RT had snapped. We turn round and head home. She had no desire to ride on the FJR so everything went into the car. Got home last night to search this site and found this info and placed an order.
    Taking the bike into the shop to confirm if it will be covered under the extended warranty. I will have this as a spare if it is covered. If not I will be doing a bit of work on the existing unit.
    This can be a serious safety issue. I had my first arm snap at 60 MPH. When that happens, the next few moments are not for the feint of heart.
    Now that BRP has solved the 2013 heat issue, I hope they turn their attention to this. It should be pretty easy, they just need to have their sub-supplier make the change.

BRP Care..................have you been following this at all ?
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by noboot View Post
    I am interested to see what the "updated / redesigned part looks like especially for $600. Seems terribly expensive to me.

Maybe the dealer has purchased one of my Billet arms and selling it at a very big profit :-)
    I do not think so. He looked it up in his Service manual. According to him, there have been two upgrades since the original, no idea what they were except to increase the cost from 400 or so to 600 for the part. Apparently the whole assembly has to be replaced, including a electrical module. I think that is pretty high for is a design fault in my opinion.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I still stand by my Billet arm, it gives the entire windscreen more stability and that's half the problem, the shuddering of the windscreen while riding causes the arm to fatigue and break.

Spyder Garage

I still have some avaiable

Spyder Garage

Default Replace Windsheld Arm with Billet Aluminum one.

Hey Guy's did anyone do a video of removing the Tupperware around the windshield base? there is at least one or two on re-placing the arm but they all start with the TW removed.

Steve

Spyder Garage

Not that I know of but you start at the mirrors, then wind deflectors, front panel where they plug your BUDS into and then just keep finding the screws.

Spyder Garage

I still have these arms if anyone is interested. Check your RT windscreen arm and if cracked, let me know

Spyder Garage

Default Noboot arm

Hey guy's thanks for all the know how on how to do the change. got it done about three weeks ago and fixed all my mistakes last week end. apparently you can put it on backwards even with the marks on it, and the blue grease can remove the mark that you carefully placed on the gear. After about three disassembles and re-assembles I finely got it right by sliding the magnet off and re-clocking it to the next hex flat.
    if I did this again I'd pay more attention to the directions.

Troublemaker

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear you had some hassles putting it on. And yes there is only one way of fitting it and backwards won't work.
    The Instructions may not be as explicit as they should be (the video helps a lot) but as I am just a Spyder Ryder like the rest of us I tried as best as I could to explain the process of fitting the replacement arm.

On another short note I seen on the Forum some people were plastic coating their OEM Windscreen arm. I find that very concerning because we know these things tend to crack & break and with it "hidden" under plastic they are not going to get an early signs.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Noboot Ref the question :-

Would you be able to make up a kit for the two guide arms for those of us who have already changed out the center arm ?

Has any progress been made on this suggestion or have you decided against doing this, Having had you middle bracket on my Spyder for over 2 years (Moved from my previous Spyder when I upgraded from the v twin to the triple) there is no sign of wear, The windshield is much more stable it would just Finnish off the looks so much better than those 2 dull looking
    side brackets
    I would be prepared to purchase a set
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

No worries Mate,

Your directions were fine, the problem came when the mark on the gear turned out to be gone. and me trying to figure out top. the wedges worked great. the gear was kind of stubborn going back on so I used a spark plug socket and one of your spacers to cover the magnet end to slowly force it back on.

It's a great product and I wish I'd thought of it.

Steve

Spyder Garage

Does anyone happen to know where these are available now? The eBay
    • listing (251674757681) has been removed, or this item is not available
    • thanks
    Bryan

Spyder Garage

Ron (aka "noboot") sells them. I just got mine and it's a fantastic product! Send him a private message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGuy442 View Post
    Ron (aka "noboot") sells them. I just got mine and it's a fantastic product! Send him a private message.

thanks
    Bryan

Spyder Garage

Received The new windshield arm from Ron (Noboot). Got the arm installed following Ron's video. The wedge kit that he supplies with the arm was excellent made the sprocket come off with ease. The install was a fairly simple process. The quality of the arm is first rate. I would recommend that everyone switch out the OEM arm to Ron's arm especially if you have an oversized windshield. It would also be a good idea to swap it out prior to the OEM arm breaking. Or at least have one on hand so when the OEM one does break you will be able to swap it out quickly. Shipping from Australia was very quick it was in my hand within five days from when it was ordered.

Thanks Ron!👍
    Bryan

Spyder Garage

Default Replace Windsheld Arm with Billet Aluminum one.

I fully agree with Empty Pockets. Don't wait until your's breaks.

I was thinking mine wasn't ever going to, as I'd accumulated 53,500 miles on my 2010 and it hadn't broken. Then I noticed more wobble in the windshield than normal on a recent ride, and next time out it failed a few hundred feet from my home (thankfully). When it breaks, your done riding.

I took a few rides with no windshield and came to appreciate the wind protection and forces the windshield has to deal with.

When I got Ron's billet arm and took the old broken one out and compared them side by side, there is NO COMPARISON! The strength, quality and capability of his product is fantastic. The original part feels like a piece of styrofoam compared to the billet aluminum.

I took my first ride with the new arm and windshield was stable like never before. I rode with great confidence that this part will outlast every other part on the bike. I'm so thankful for this component and the saving over the POC $700 replacement from BRP would have cost.

Don't wait until yours breaks! SERIOUSLY!

Thanks Ron (noboot) for a great product!

Bill

Last edited by GadgetGuy442; 04-18-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

PMK..... You are wise to do it on your own timeline rather than on it's timeline!

Bill

Spyder Garage

Default Happenned today!

Mine snapped this morning, luckily at a relatively low speed, but nonetheless, got my attention real quick.

Called the dealership, was told that my warranty expired in March (3 months ago), so I am out of luck. The part here is over $700 Cdn not including labour... they suggested calling BRP and seeing what, if anything they will do about it. problem is, I do not want the same pos part replaced, so I sent a PM to noboot this morning, hopefully he has one in stock and can get it here soonest.

I did a temp fix with some epoxy and a fairly robust hose clamp, so I can at least get home after work...
    2016 RT-S SS Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Just ordered one billet arm today... As a spare part.
    Silver RT Limited SE5 2013

BAJARON Anti-Sway Bar, BAJARON Heim Joints, SPYDERPOPS Bumpskid, SMOOTHSPYDER Belt Tensioner, SENA SM10 Dongle, CORBIN Passenger Armrest w. cupholder, UTOPIA Driver Backrest, SPYDERFLAP Mud Flap, STEBEL Nautilus Air Horn, TRICLED Rear Top LED Bar, TRICLED, 3rd & 4th Brake LED, TRICLED Mirror Turn Signal, TRICLED Tricfenderz LED Strip, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Front Mud Flap LED, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Amber Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Red Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Fender Tips ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lagaffe View Post
    Just ordered one billet arm today... As a spare part.
    You may consider replacing it at your earliest convenience. Do you keep spare brake pads so you can replace the brakes when they fail ? It's a really important Preventive Maintenance.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong, and I'm sure someone here will let me know about it.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

It all happens at once. I have had 7 enquiries for replacement arms this week ,,,, in Canada, USA, New Zealand and all over Australia, how crazy is that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    You may consider replacing it at your earliest convenience. Do you keep spare brake pads so you can replace the brakes when they fail ? It's a really important Preventive Maintenance.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong, and I'm sure someone here will let me know about it.

Excuse my bad english, i'm french speaking.

An old mechanic told me years ago... If it's not broken, dont touch it ! :-)

I'm more than 600 miles away from the nearest BRP dealer and beleive me i always have a full brake pads set spare at home.
    Silver RT Limited SE5 2013

BAJARON Anti-Sway Bar, BAJARON Heim Joints, SPYDERPOPS Bumpskid, SMOOTHSPYDER Belt Tensioner, SENA SM10 Dongle, CORBIN Passenger Armrest w. cupholder, UTOPIA Driver Backrest, SPYDERFLAP Mud Flap, STEBEL Nautilus Air Horn, TRICLED Rear Top LED Bar, TRICLED, 3rd & 4th Brake LED, TRICLED Mirror Turn Signal, TRICLED Tricfenderz LED Strip, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Front Mud Flap LED, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Amber Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Red Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Fender Tips ...