Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Very informative thread!
    Thanks to all that participated!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Just a shameless bump to keep this this thread near the top of the list.... it's important.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I'M BETTING !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    FWIW, I had the windscreen support off recently. Oddly, the brass bushings, (3 of them) had corroded into the bores. Was able to draw them out with spacers and a longer screw.

More important than the corrosion though, was that the bushing lengths are short and it is possible (no I did not do this) to crush and distort the hinge tabs on the windscreen support if the screws are tightened. Since these screws can not be made tight, they must be Loctited.

PK
    A combination of salt air and dissimilar metals......Also if your windshield rattles / shakes etc., I have a " hollow punch " set and made some very thin washers from the plastic top of a Kool Whip container. I put one each on the outside of the upper arms and my windshield no longer rattles. The plastic is very slippery so it's self lubricating ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default YOUR / THIS ..ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Mike, salt air is the least of the issue in my opinion. Yes, galvanic corrosion from three different metals, brass bushing, stainless screw and washer and pot aluminum windsceen V shaped mount, but what is worse is that with the oem bushing being short the water remains trapped in the voids under the washer. Even worse than that is if you use even the slightest amount of grease, the Loctite does not work if the holes are polluted. The corrosion likely occurred from the aluminum to stainless which easily happens, and the effected area would be directly under gap between the brass bushings end and the washer.

This was the first removal of the windscreen mount since new. So about 14 months of use.

As for the additional plastic washer, the area of concern uses flanged plastic bushing if I recall correctly, so I should be good there.

I'll sort something out to correct this minor concern. Probably order some brass rod and make new bushings in the lathe. Just to many other things going on currently.

I should get a billet center arm and do this all at once. Reliability is a good thing.

PK
    In Vt salt air is not in the mix....I've had mine apart recently ( to fix the rattle ) and I have NO corrosion. That's why I thought the Salt Air might be an issue. Sorry......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So...I like the billet arm, but then it doesn't match the other 2 arms... any plans on making the other 2 arms so they match forc aesthetic purposes?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ordered one yesterday

We were all packed for the long weekend and 30 miles into our ride to the mountains. I hear her over the intercom something broke on my windshield. Sure enough the support arm on the her 2012 RT had snapped. We turn round and head home. She had no desire to ride on the FJR so everything went into the car. Got home last night to search this site and found this info and placed an order.
    Taking the bike into the shop to confirm if it will be covered under the extended warranty. I will have this as a spare if it is covered. If not I will be doing a bit of work on the existing unit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
    We were all packed for the long weekend and 30 miles into our ride to the mountains. I hear her over the intercom something broke on my windshield. Sure enough the support arm on the her 2012 RT had snapped. We turn round and head home. She had no desire to ride on the FJR so everything went into the car. Got home last night to search this site and found this info and placed an order.
    Taking the bike into the shop to confirm if it will be covered under the extended warranty. I will have this as a spare if it is covered. If not I will be doing a bit of work on the existing unit.
    This can be a serious safety issue. I had my first arm snap at 60 MPH. When that happens, the next few moments are not for the feint of heart.
    Now that BRP has solved the 2013 heat issue, I hope they turn their attention to this. It should be pretty easy, they just need to have their sub-supplier make the change.

BRP Care..................have you been following this at all ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default OMG

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    So...I like the billet arm, but then it doesn't match the other 2 arms... any plans on making the other 2 arms so they match forc aesthetic purposes?
    REALLY...This is your concern with this issue......not the fact that if the ARM breaks it will cost you $ 750 + to fix it if it's not under Warranty............I'm sorry for the RANT but this attitude totally blows my mind .......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    REALLY...This is your concern with this issue......not the fact that if the ARM breaks it will cost you $ 750 + to fix it if it's not under Warranty............I'm sorry for the RANT but this attitude totally blows my mind .......Mike

If it ends up being something I eventually have to fix, I want it done right and not have it look like a mismatched after thought...