Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lagaffe View Post
    Excuse my bad english, i'm french speaking.

An old mechanic told me years ago... If it's not broken, dont touch it ! :-)

I'm more than 600 miles away from the nearest BRP dealer and beleive me i always have a full brake pads set spare at home.
    I have nothing but respect for anyone who can speak more than one language.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by noboot View Post
    It all happens at once. I have had 7 enquiries for replacement arms this week ,,,, in Canada, USA, New Zealand and all over Australia, how crazy is that.
    When someone does something wright, people take notice!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine broke last weekend, luckily I was not going very fast but it was dark out and when the windshield fell flat on the dash it gave me and my wife quite a scare!
    On Monday I called the only BRP dealer in Laval and was informed that I had to purchase the complete assembly. When The service rep told me the price I fell off my chair!!! I did what everyone one else has done and started searching the net for a solution. Being a mechanic for 25 years as now a trainer for 8 years I knew there would be a solution.

And it is Ron (Noboot) who is responsible for this. I have ordered his billeted arm. In the mean time I fixed my arm by welding it and then adding aluminium flat bars on each side with 3400psi epoxy resin.

Someone in this thread had made mention to the magnet at the oposite end of the gear on the shaft, this is a positioning sensor like a Hall-effect sensor and should not be removed or tampered with.

I will update with photos when I receive the new arm.
    Last edited by Questions; 06-28-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN ME

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Mine broke last weekend, luckily I was not going very fast but it was dark out and when the windshield fell flat on the dash it gave me and my wife quite a scare!
    On Monday I called the only BRP dealer in Laval and was informed that I had to purchase the complete assembly. When The service rep told me the price I fell off my chair!!! I did what everyone one else has done and started searching the net for a solution. Being a mechanic for 25 years as now a trainer for 8 years I knew there would be a solution.

And it is Ron (Noboot) who is responsible for this. I have ordered his billeted arm. In the mean time I fixed my arm by welding it and then adding aluminium flat bars on each side with 3400psi epoxy resin.

Someone in this thread had made mention to the magnet at the oposite end of the gear on the shaft, this is a positioning sensor like a Hall-effect sensor and should not be removed or tampered with.

I will update with photos when I receive the new arm.
    I moved the MAGNET and put it back and it works fine .................You do have to mark the SHAFT and the MAGNET and put it together to same way as it was.......The gear end is twice as difficult to get off and four times as likely to break......Good luck.......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-29-2016 at 08:21 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool Very happy

Well I got in touch with Nobot and all I have to say is what a great experience it was dealing with someone that lives on the other side of the planet! the part was shipped to me within 4 days and it fit perfectly and the wedged tools were included. If only BRP was so efficient!!!! Thank you again Ron for the great part.

Spyder Garage

Red face ....And another bracket breaks!

Just had my windshield bracket break on the way home from dinner out with the wife this evening. Got home and immediately PM'd noboot.

Count me as another victim of lowest-bidder supply sources to BRP, I guess.

Spyder Garage

Default Replace Windsheld Arm with Billet Aluminum one.

I truly believe every RT owner will eventually have this happen to them!

Get your replacement part and make the change BEFORE it breaks and messes up a trip you may be in the middle of when it decides to let go. When it does, it comes right back toward you with great force (especially if you're at highway speeds), and you could lose control. Then you have to figure out how to get home with the broken screen laying back in your face.

IMG_9443.jpg

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GadgetGuy442; 09-02-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by paraflyer1966 View Post
    Just had my windshield bracket break on the way home from dinner out with the wife this evening. Got home and immediately PM'd noboot.

Count me as another victim of lowest-bidder supply sources to BRP, I guess.
    I can only say this:

THANK YOU NOBOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Part arrived yesterday morning; got home from work and got it installed (took me about 1.5 hours as I was being extra cautious/paranoid about cracking the plastic gear!). Ran out of daylight after getting the right-side body panels back on....I'l be able to get out of work a bit early today and finish up the job....then BACK ON THE ROAD!!!!

EDIT:

Spoke too soon; got the remaining body panels on, started ttrying to get the old brass bushings out of the actual windshield bracket.....aaaaand I hit a brick wall. The damn things are wedged in. I'd love to meet the engineer that designed this, no easy way to get wedges in there to pry the bushings out. And who the ^*&!@$#&^% came up with the idea of aluminum bracket, brass bushings, and steel screws?!?!?!?!?!?

If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears!

EDIT 2: Been doing some hunting on the web, looks like it's going to be a trip to Home Depot for metric screws, then try the "hammer it a bit and pull" method...

FINAL EDIT: Done! the hammer-and-pull method was the trick...and I couldn't believe how corroded it was (then again, this IS eastern Pennsylvania). Judicious application of 160-grit sandpaper, then a light machine oil, then introduce to the new bracket. All went back together well after that.
    Last edited by paraflyer1966; 09-14-2016 at 06:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Ordered

Have a customer with a broken windshield arm. Looking forward to the job!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I still have a few on hand if anyone needs one

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Have a customer with a broken windshield arm. Looking forward to the job!
    The part has been ordered from NOBOOT, tracking info already received and the part should be here on Monday. Pretty good service!! Our customer has been riding around on an RT with no windshield for many months so I'm sure she also appreciates the quick service from NOBOOT

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

is SpyderAccessories selling your part now?

http://www.canamspyderaccessories.co...eld-2010-2017/

2016 RT Limited SE6
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb SpyderAccessories Arm Replacement

It has been asked if the CanAmSpyderAccessories.com arm is equal to the one from NoBoot. Well, here is my report. (Caused by the breaking of the support arm on my 2011 RT-S)

It seems that Ron (NOBOOT) either does not have any more, or maybe they are several weeks out, and the eBay listing is expired, so I went with the SpyderAccessories version because of the turnaround time. It is more expensive (200 + shipping, but I had it in just a few days.

It DOES NOT COME WITH THE WEDGES TO REMOVE THE GEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This makes the install a lot more difficult to say the least. Getting the bike apart is not a problem, but getting that gear off of the shaft was nothing short of a monumental task. To start with, the head of the small screw at the end of the shaft broke off as soon as I tried to remove it. There is no information that says if that screw slips inside the gear and into a threaded part of the shaft or if the threads are also in the plastic part of the gear as well, but the gear did not move no matter what i tried. So I drilled out the screw, and still had no joy in getting the gear off. I tried to use the original arm as a "ram" to force off the pulley. I tried several ways to get some force the gear, but nothing seem to get it moving. Finally, I applied some heat and used a "punch" in the hole where the screw was and was able to drive the shaft out of the gear assembly. Not fun, and more than a bit nerve wracking. If I destroyed the thing, then I was looking at multiple hundreds of dollars for a new unit plus the cost of the new arm.

Re-assembly was not too bad, but..... The gear is shaped like the hex shaft inside, and fits just as tight when replacing it as it did taking it off. I think the screw is unnecessary (I hope), so I did not try to drill and tap the shaft but just pressed the gear back on the shaft. The shaft housing has a capped end, so there is nowhere for the gear to go even if does shift. Time will tell!!

The new arm does not allow for the use of the small plastic washers at the windshield end. No big deal as the new part fits better inside the support frame without the washers than the old one does with them!! The new arm also does not use the roll pins to hold it on the shaft. Instead, it uses a set screw with an allen head. The inside of the arm is cut to fit the hex shaft, so the set screw is only used to keep it from moving side to side.

There were no instructions or pictures with this setup. I forget what the size is for the allen wrench, but it comes from Canada, so it was metric. Nothing said I should, but I decided to add some locktite to this screw as I did not want to even think about looking for it if it came loose.

All in all, the product is really well made, and should outlast the bike.

I did post a review to SpyderAccessories, indicating that it would certainly be better if it came with some instructions, a note about the size of the allen wrench, and even better with the wedges!! It is a great product, but not a project for the faint of heart.

As an FYI: When the job was done, the windshield works great! In fact, it does not "wobble" near as much as the original because the tolerances between the arm and the windshield support frame are much tighter! Overall, I am pleased, and really thankful to be done with this project!! It took many hours, and a lot of experimenting, but is a big improvement over the original.

In the spirit of full disclosure: When prying the right side cap off of the shaft, it popped up and then disappeared down one of the many openings into the darkness of the front of the bike. It took nearly 2 hours of looking, removing panels that I had no original intention of removing, and mounting fears about what might be needed if I could not find it!! I eventually used a Ryobi Inspection camera attached to my phone, and with the help of the Spyder Gods found the part lying inside of the U-channel on one of the frame pieces. With the help of a long retrieval tool, I was able to liberate it from the depths and continue on with the project. Just a reminder to be sure to block all of the holes with rags or something when doing this kind of work. This is especially important when replacing the C clips on the windshield frame! You do not want to take the bike all apart to look for them if they disappear.

Follow Up:

I received a call today from Pierre at SpyderAccessories today. He was following up on my review. His operation is really the essence of the Small Business community. It is just him and his significant other doing everything!! Since he does not make these arms, and does not want to infringe on any patents or other liability areas, he just has them made by a local craftsman - (who used to be a tech at BRP and now works as his own repair shop) and markets them to the public, so there is no expectation of videos, directions, wedges, or any additional support. He was really great to talk with, and offered to be of any assistance he could for future purchases, questions, and observations.
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BrianO View Post
    is SpyderAccessories selling your part now?

http://www.canamspyderaccessories.co...eld-2010-2017/
    No, his one is a competative one.

Spyder Garage

Hi noboot.
    I'm new to this forum as well as a new Spyder owner. Loving every minute of it except when the windshield arm broke... I was more fortunate than some here since I was 5 minutes from home.
    Do you still have some arms available? If yes, I would love to get o e from you.
    Thanks for your help and all the info you be provided!

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pete743 View Post
    Hi noboot.
    I'm new to this forum as well as a new Spyder owner. Loving every minute of it except when the windshield arm broke... I was more fortunate than some here since I was 5 minutes from home.
    Do you still have some arms available? If yes, I would love to get o e from you.

There is one listed on e bay yesterday from Noboot

I would just put in Can AM Spyder RT Replacement Windscreen Arm

In the search box on e bay to locate it
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pete743 View Post
    Hi noboot.
    Pete, sent you a pm.
    cheers

Spyder Garage

Default May need to file axle lightly

I ordered my replacement windshield arm from Ron (NOBOOT) two (2) years ago. It took all this time to finally get the job done, as I haven't been riding as much as I would like. Removed all the tupperware and pulled the OEM part that was prone to failure. All was going well with the job until I tried to assemble the hex shaft with the new arm. It would not fit (too tight). Nobody else seemed to have this problem according to previous posts.

I sent a message to Ron and within minutes had a response to "lightly file the end of the hex shaft." That helped but the shaft was still a bit too large for the new arm and would not pass through the arm easily. I filed (very lightly) all sides of the hex shaft. It only took a few light passes and the shaft easily (but still very snug) slid into the new arm.

Overall, the project is relatively easy with Ron's product. The wedges supplied to help remove the plastic gear are a great bonus. I spent more time trying to figure out the hex shaft fitment. Thanks to Ron's fast response, it wasn't more than an hour before I had everything installed and buttoned up. This product gives great peace of mind for a potentially dangerous problem.

Time to get out and ride now!
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Limited - Lava Bronze
    - Baja Ron Sway Bar - SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner - Air Modification Kit - Motorcycle Dave's gel seat inserts
    - Rivco Floorboards - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - Bad Boy Wolo Air Horn
    - FZ-1 Fuzeblock - Hopnel Lid Nets - Monster Graphics

Spyder Garage

My windshield arm just broke for the second time. First time was within warranty years ago. I'm planning on designing and 3D printing mine out of Carbonfiber infused PETG.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Upstater View Post
    I ordered my replacement windshield arm from Ron (NOBOOT) two (2) years ago. It took all this time to finally get the job done, as I haven't been riding as much as I would like. Removed all the tupperware and pulled the OEM part that was prone to failure. All was going well with the job until I tried to assemble the hex shaft with the new arm. It would not fit (too tight). Nobody else seemed to have this problem according to previous posts.

I sent a message to Ron and within minutes had a response to "lightly file the end of the hex shaft." That helped but the shaft was still a bit too large for the new arm and would not pass through the arm easily. I filed (very lightly) all sides of the hex shaft. It only took a few light passes and the shaft easily (but still very snug) slid into the new arm.

Overall, the project is relatively easy with Ron's product. The wedges supplied to help remove the plastic gear are a great bonus. I spent more time trying to figure out the hex shaft fitment. Thanks to Ron's fast response, it wasn't more than an hour before I had everything installed and buttoned up. This product gives great peace of mind for a potentially dangerous problem.

Time to get out and ride now!
    happy to hear you DIY'ed a fix ….. however I would have filed the ARM instead …. a lot less filing , IMHO …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    My windshield arm just broke for the second time. First time was within warranty years ago. I'm planning on designing and 3D printing mine out of Carbonfiber infused PETG.
    If you have the equipment and know how to do this - Kudo's to you ….. You might be able to make a Killing producing them ….. Back in 14 ( before NoBoot 's piece ) I added thein flat pieces of metal to the sides of mine then wrapped a strap around the entire piece and welded the edges … NEVER GOING TO BREAK >>>>>> Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    Do not leave us in the dark. Let us know how this works out.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Do not leave us in the dark. Let us know how this works out.
    And 'Viola'. It's done. It's not shiny like an aluminum billet, but it sure is strong. This particular filament has 6000psi tensile strength.
    I could easily print more and resell. Not sure how much to sell. Send me a PM if you're interested.

It took me a few hours to design, revise and perfect. The hardest part is getting the old one off. I chose to remove the small end with the magnet; preserving the integrity of the gear.

I could trim down the locking bolt as I didn't have a 22mm bold on hand, just 25mm's. OH, in case someone want to critique it: The layers are printed from barrel to barrel. This part will not split like the original.

Spyder Windshield Bracket.jpg
    IMG_5595.jpg
    IMG_5597.jpg
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don’t you actually mean 60000 psi?
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Don’t you actually mean 60000 psi?
    Pretty sure the billet aluminum version, not the oem cast version has 42000 psi tensile strength.