Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Just a shameless bump to keep this this thread near the top of the list.... it's important.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Just a short note: I have one left at the moment be 3 or 4 weeks before I have anymore.

Spyder Garage

Noboot - thanks for doing this! Having your windshield flop in your face 1300 miles from home is not a fun experience, and several on SL can attest to.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Dragonrider,
    That is the only reason We make these replacement arms is the safety factor. There is no profit in them as the hours put into making them doesn't equal the cost.

The same here in Australia we have had a few break at speed and the danger and risk of an accident is high.

One of the side products of the new arm is less flex in the windscreen as well.

Cheers, noboot

Spyder Garage

Just a shameless bump to keep this this thread near the top of the list.... it's important.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems to me there's "an elephant in the room". WHY DOESN"T BRP RESPOND TO THIS SAFETY ISSUE WITH A STRONGER ARM??????????????????????

Spyder Garage

Very informative thread!
    Thanks to all that participated!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I'M BETTING !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    FWIW, I had the windscreen support off recently. Oddly, the brass bushings, (3 of them) had corroded into the bores. Was able to draw them out with spacers and a longer screw.

More important than the corrosion though, was that the bushing lengths are short and it is possible (no I did not do this) to crush and distort the hinge tabs on the windscreen support if the screws are tightened. Since these screws can not be made tight, they must be Loctited.

PK
    A combination of salt air and dissimilar metals......Also if your windshield rattles / shakes etc., I have a " hollow punch " set and made some very thin washers from the plastic top of a Kool Whip container. I put one each on the outside of the upper arms and my windshield no longer rattles. The plastic is very slippery so it's self lubricating ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default YOUR / THIS ..ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Mike, salt air is the least of the issue in my opinion. Yes, galvanic corrosion from three different metals, brass bushing, stainless screw and washer and pot aluminum windsceen V shaped mount, but what is worse is that with the oem bushing being short the water remains trapped in the voids under the washer. Even worse than that is if you use even the slightest amount of grease, the Loctite does not work if the holes are polluted. The corrosion likely occurred from the aluminum to stainless which easily happens, and the effected area would be directly under gap between the brass bushings end and the washer.

This was the first removal of the windscreen mount since new. So about 14 months of use.

As for the additional plastic washer, the area of concern uses flanged plastic bushing if I recall correctly, so I should be good there.

I'll sort something out to correct this minor concern. Probably order some brass rod and make new bushings in the lathe. Just to many other things going on currently.

I should get a billet center arm and do this all at once. Reliability is a good thing.

PK
    In Vt salt air is not in the mix....I've had mine apart recently ( to fix the rattle ) and I have NO corrosion. That's why I thought the Salt Air might be an issue. Sorry......

Spyder Garage

So...I like the billet arm, but then it doesn't match the other 2 arms... any plans on making the other 2 arms so they match forc aesthetic purposes?
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ordered one yesterday

We were all packed for the long weekend and 30 miles into our ride to the mountains. I hear her over the intercom something broke on my windshield. Sure enough the support arm on the her 2012 RT had snapped. We turn round and head home. She had no desire to ride on the FJR so everything went into the car. Got home last night to search this site and found this info and placed an order.
    Taking the bike into the shop to confirm if it will be covered under the extended warranty. I will have this as a spare if it is covered. If not I will be doing a bit of work on the existing unit.

Spyder Garage

Default OMG

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    So...I like the billet arm, but then it doesn't match the other 2 arms... any plans on making the other 2 arms so they match forc aesthetic purposes?
    REALLY...This is your concern with this issue......not the fact that if the ARM breaks it will cost you $ 750 + to fix it if it's not under Warranty............I'm sorry for the RANT but this attitude totally blows my mind .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    REALLY...This is your concern with this issue......not the fact that if the ARM breaks it will cost you $ 750 + to fix it if it's not under Warranty............I'm sorry for the RANT but this attitude totally blows my mind .......Mike

If it ends up being something I eventually have to fix, I want it done right and not have it look like a mismatched after thought...
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default AS I SEE THIS

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    If it ends up being something I eventually have to fix, I want it done right and not have it look like a mismatched after thought...
    You Sir are apparently someone who demands PERFECTION SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, why do you even own a Spyder ............Mike

Spyder Garage

I do know of some guys that have undercoated and painted my Billet arm to match the colour of their Spyder.

Also we are now planning (very slowly) to make up a three (3) arm kit as there has been one case here in Australia where one of the side arms did a fair amount of damage at the same time as the centre arm snapped at highway speed.

Spyder Garage

Awesome! I will be watching for the 3 arm kit. Our center arms are ok currently though I need to check them again. Hopefully I won't need them until you have your kit ready (or beyond... who knows, they may never break, or break tomorrow )

Quote Originally Posted by noboot View Post
    I do know of some guys that have undercoated and painted my Billet arm to match the colour of their Spyder.

Also we are now planning (very slowly) to make up a three (3) arm kit as there has been one case here in Australia where one of the side arms did a fair amount of damage at the same time as the centre arm snapped at highway speed.
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

My Spyder is perfect... dunno what's up with everyone else's...

You Sir are apparently someone who demands PERFECTION SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, why do you even own a Spyder ............Mike
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

I thought my 2010 RT was fine until Friday. Arm broke completely apart. Talked to the dealer a couple hours ago, updated/redesigned part for $600. Only a hour labor to put in was their answer on installation. All on me so far, but the dealer is seeing what they can do
    Anybody come with anything different or latest information. I could not do the work to use the arm talked about here and I am concerned labor would eat up any savings.
    26 k on Spyder,
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I am interested to see what the "updated / redesigned part looks like especially for $600. Seems terribly expensive to me.

Maybe the dealer has purchased one of my Billet arms and selling it at a very big profit :-)
    Last edited by noboot; 06-20-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default ARM

When you replace the arm , you do not need to remove the gear .Remove the bushing very simple.

I have the arm welded all over for $ 20.00. They need to sandblast the arm first.

I use chrome paint. It looks like new

It took me one hour and half to do remove the arm and to install it.

Very simple job to do

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    You may have seen this in the regular threads. I thought I'd clean this up, add some more info, and include it as a separate post for those interested. I know, I'm being a little pretentious.
    I'm surprised at how little attention there is in this arm outside of this forum. I guess it really isn't as big of a deal as I had originally thought.

For those who aren't familiar with the issue, here's what all the hubbub is about.
    There are three mechanical arms used to control the motion of the windshield on the Spyder RT. Two of the arms (left and right) are not powered and just guide the windshield into position.
    The center arm, the mechanized control arm, is powered and provides the motive force to raise and lower the windshield.

When this mechanized control arm breaks, the windshield drops and lays down on top of the dashboard. The guide arms don't seem to let go, so it's unlikely the windshield will fall off and hit someone, but when you are at speed, the resultant blast of air can take one by surprise and cause a real "Uh-Oh!!!!" moment that tends to leave skid marks in your shorts.

The control arm is not available as a separate unit from BRP. You have to purchase the entire windshield drive mechanism from BRP to get a new control arm. The cost of the repair is somewhere in the $700 range, most of that cost is in purchasing the new drive mechanism. If this happens within the 2 year OEM warranty, BRP will pick up the replacement cost. If it happens after the 2 year warranty, the owner has to pick up the entire cost, even if the Spyder is covered under the BEST warranty.

On my 2010 RT, I had two windshield control arms break and consequently two complete new windshield drive mechanisms, all paid for by BRP.
    Each of these arms lasted roughly 13,000 miles. I traded my 2010 RT in at about 30,000 miles.
    Sadly, the new 2014 RT has exactly the same design control arm. In my opinion, it's unlikely the 2014 control arm will be more reliable.

An alternate billet aluminum arm is now available that replaces only the OEM control arm.
    This requires dis-assembly of the windshield drive mechanism, something that is clearly outside the normal scope of BRP repair.
    When installed, the new billet arm is expected to outlast the Spyder.
    I chose to install the billet aluminum arm as a preventive measure, rather than wait for my OEM arm to fail.

Here is a photo of my second arm that was cracked and replaced before a catastrophic failure.

Here are two catastrophic failures. This next picture I have shamelessly stolen from Teddy's Dave (CyncySpyder)

This next picture I have, again shamelessly stolen from eddieshep999

There have been many other failures posted. I don't know how many in total. I'd guesstimate as much as 5% based in CyncySpyder's poll

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...hlight=warning

Here is a photo of the billet arm that I received.

I’d like to say a hearty Thank You to two people:
    First, noboot (Ron) for making these beautiful works of art. As sturdy as they are beautiful. I understand there is a move afoot to have these arms available through one of the established vendors here on this site.

Second is John (JRWW). I had contacted JRWW who had installed the billet arm himself. He was able to give me some general directions to follow and a few keen pointers, some of which I neglected, much to my detriment. I will quote parts of his email at appropriate times

The billet arm is exactly that, a single piece of metal. Manufactured by cutting away unwanted material from one piece of aluminum. There are no welds to fail, nor is there any grain such as the pressed metal OEM pieces. The existing arm has often times proven inferior.
    My 2010 went through two of these arms and a friend of mine surprisingly had his arm fail as well.
    Talking with others, it seems the Florida contingent has no problems with these arms. It may well be that only those in the Northeast (AKA potholes) have reliability issues.

I photographed everything, mostly so I would know how to reassemble things.

First, remove the windshield and the windshield support. This comes out pretty easily with just a few bolts and bushings. This takes about 15 minutes.
    Next, remove the fascia around the windshield operating arms to get to the one we want to replace.
    There are two screws on the top, take them out.
    You have to take off the mirrors, both left and right upper panels and the fascia around the headlights to get to all the bolts to remove the windshield fascia. This doesn’t take a long time.
    At this point we’re about an hour into the project.
    Now that the windshield mechanism is exposed, you need to start removing the arm from the mechanism in order to replace it.

Next is a photo of the windshield mechanism exposed with the OEM arm in place.

At this point, I’ll quote John:

"Gidday Steven,
    I'll try and explain as best I can from memory, now been awhile since I did this. Once all the Tupperware is removed the tricky bit is prying the top plastic parts either side of the arm apart. They are glued down and after you remove the screws, use a flat bladed screwdriver, I gently tapped it between the top and bottom section, it takes a bit of force to break the glue and mine went flying across my workshop. Then the arm lifts out, make sure you mark the position of the arm on either side before removing. The next difficult part is removing the arm from the shaft, on one end is a magnet, put some tape over it so you don't lose it. I placed the arm in a bench vice to remove a pin that locks the arm in place. I sacrificed a small drill of the same size to tap it out, make sure you don't damage the hexagonal shaft in anyway as you won't get the new arm on. Then using a hair dyer to heat the toothed plastic wheel I used a small open ended spanner slightly bigger than the shaft placed on the wheel and very gently tapped the spanner with a hammer to remove the wheel. Did I mention gently!!!!! Take your time here!!!! Apply plenty of heat and take your time. Once you have the wheel removed then with a rubber mallet gently tap the hexagonal shaft out of the old arm. Again take your time and be gentle!!! The installation of the new arm is just the reverse, make sure the hole in the arm lines up with the hole in the shaft to replace the metal pin. Forgot to mention I had real difficulty in removing two of the screws on one side of the plastic holding the arm in place, ended up removing with multi grips and destroying the head, so went to my local bolt place and bought new bolts with Allen key head. Also once you have put the arm back in place and fitted everything, start your bike and operate the electric button to ensure the arm moves up and down without any issues. If you mark the position as I mentioned everything should be fine. Best of luck and let me know how you go.
    Regards
    John"

The arm/shaft/gear can be removed from the lifting mechanism without removing the mechanism from the Spyder.
    I removed the screws that hold the top part of the plastic pieces in place. In both cases, the lower screw could be removed easily. I broke the heads off the upper screws. The plastic pieces came off with no problem at all. No, or little glue.
    Removing the arm assembly was quite easy, and I was left with the next biggest problem. Removing the plastic gear to make way for removing and replacing the arm. There is a small screw at the end of the gear that retains the gear on the shaft. This needs to be removed. The head is a small phillips head, which I promptly stripped. I used a hacksaw to cut a new slot for a straight bladed screwdriver and carefully removed the screw.

I tried the spanner (wrench) trick John spoke of with one minor difference. Rather than putting the wrench around the plastic shaft of the gear, I put the wrench around the sprocket and began rapping. This was not wise. Not much happened, so I continue to rap with increasing force until I finally broke the gear. I should have paid more attention to the "gently" part.
    Once the gear was broken, it was much easier getting the plastic shaft off the main shaft. I understand Ron is now including wedges in his kit to help with uninstalling the plastic gear.

Next is a photo of the broken gear.

So, now I had to fix the gear. I degreased the plastic parts and got out Devcon Plastic Welder, my go to glue for all things plastic from ABS to Styrene. It glues everything except polypropylene. If you ever use it, one safety tip: The instructions say “Use in a well ventilated area”. They aren’t kidding. This stuff is great, but it smells very bad. This glue forms a chemical bond with the plastic, so it's much stronger than a simple glue.

An hour later, the gear is repaired. I used one of my miniature screw drivers as a punch and hammered it to remove the pins on the old arm. I removed the old arm, installed the new arm reusing the pins and reinstalled the now repaired gear. I had to use a hammer to rap the plastic gear back into place. The outside diameter of the new arm is a little bigger than the old arm. When re-installing the pins, keep this in mind to try to install the pins to get maximum grip from both ends of the pin. Also remember to transfer the bushings from the old arm to the new arm.

Please note the plastic repair to the gear. I filled in the entire void space with glue, so instead of the 1/16" ring mounting the gear to the plastic shaft, now there is 3/8" of plastic mounting the gear to the plastic shaft. I was careful to make sure the gear was square to the shaft before the glue set. I'm confident that the plastic gear is now stronger than it was in its original configuration.

Here is another picture of the final assembly of the shaft. Notice the holes in the arm with the pins installed. You can clearly see that Ron has stamped the word "TOP" into the billet arm as another means to ensure the correct alignment.

I put the gear shaft and arm in place and locked it down with only one screw in each of the plastic retainers. I used the up and down buttons to cycle the mechanism and make sure it worked properly before I fully reassembled everything. You just need to make sure that you put the arm back in the same position you took it out from so the magnet lines up. The magnet is what controls the position of the arm. I used my favorite glue again to fill the screw holes of the broken screws to make sure the plastic parts stay in place tightly. This is very important. In my opinion, the control arm breaks because it is absorbing the energy from the twisting or bouncing motion of the windshield. The absorbed energy is what breaks the arm. The new arm doesn’t absorb the energy; it is strong enough that it just transmits the energy to the rest of the mechanism, so be sure the plastic parts are all locked down firmly, even if you need to use additional glue. This will ensure that other parts of the mechanism are strong enough to support the load of the bouncing windshield.

Next is a picture of the new arm assembled into the lifting mechanism.
    Notice the two new screws in the upper holes of the plastic hold down pieces. These are also glued in place for additional strength.

After re-installing the front fascia, I ran the arm up and down again to make sure it operated properly.

All told, going from old arm to new arm took about 4 hours, and that included an extra 90 minutes figuring things out and repairing all the stuff I broke. Figure about 2 and a half hours if most goes well. I waited another 6 hours or so before I put the windshield support and windshield back in place to allow all the glued pieces to reach maximum strength before use.

I've had the new arm on for 1500 miles now. No operational issues with the lifting mechanism at all.

Spyder Garage

Default BUSHING

Ronsam.......In your post you refer to " bushing "....are you talking about the " black piece with the Magnet " in it ???...........because if you are I posted that way of doing it a long time ago.......I am very curious about the WELDING you had done. The material BRP uses to make the ARM does not appear to be ...WELDABLE ????.................Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Arm

Yes you can weld it . You need to sandblast first . I just weld my arm. If you do not sandblast the weld explode and you can not weld it. I will tried to add some photo next time

Thanks

Ronsam.......In your post you refer to " bushing "....are you talking about the " black piece with the Magnet " in it ???...........because if you are I posted that way of doing it a long time ago.......I am very curious about the WELDING you had done. The material BRP uses to make the ARM does not appear to be ...WELDABLE ????.................Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Arm

Photos. I hope it work. Mike

Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default THIS WELDING PIC

Quote Originally Posted by Ronsam View Post
    Photos. I hope it work. Mike

Thanks
    That's amazing.....was this done with a rod ( ie arc welded ) and if so what type of metal was the rod made of ???....... mike