Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Replace the Windsheld Arm with Billet Aluminum Arm.

You may have seen this in the regular threads. I thought I'd clean this up, add some more info, and include it as a separate post for those interested. I know, I'm being a little pretentious.
    I'm surprised at how little attention there is in this arm outside of this forum. I guess it really isn't as big of a deal as I had originally thought.

For those who aren't familiar with the issue, here's what all the hubbub is about.
    There are three mechanical arms used to control the motion of the windshield on the Spyder RT. Two of the arms (left and right) are not powered and just guide the windshield into position.
    The center arm, the mechanized control arm, is powered and provides the motive force to raise and lower the windshield.

When this mechanized control arm breaks, the windshield drops and lays down on top of the dashboard. The guide arms don't seem to let go, so it's unlikely the windshield will fall off and hit someone, but when you are at speed, the resultant blast of air can take one by surprise and cause a real "Uh-Oh!!!!" moment that tends to leave skid marks in your shorts.

The control arm is not available as a separate unit from BRP. You have to purchase the entire windshield drive mechanism from BRP to get a new control arm. The cost of the repair is somewhere in the $700 range, most of that cost is in purchasing the new drive mechanism. If this happens within the 2 year OEM warranty, BRP will pick up the replacement cost. If it happens after the 2 year warranty, the owner has to pick up the entire cost, even if the Spyder is covered under the BEST warranty.

On my 2010 RT, I had two windshield control arms break and consequently two complete new windshield drive mechanisms, all paid for by BRP.
    Each of these arms lasted roughly 13,000 miles. I traded my 2010 RT in at about 30,000 miles.
    Sadly, the new 2014 RT has exactly the same design control arm. In my opinion, it's unlikely the 2014 control arm will be more reliable.

An alternate billet aluminum arm is now available that replaces only the OEM control arm.
    This requires dis-assembly of the windshield drive mechanism, something that is clearly outside the normal scope of BRP repair.
    When installed, the new billet arm is expected to outlast the Spyder.
    I chose to install the billet aluminum arm as a preventive measure, rather than wait for my OEM arm to fail.

Here is a photo of my second arm that was cracked and replaced before a catastrophic failure.

Here are two catastrophic failures. This next picture I have shamelessly stolen from Teddy's Dave (CyncySpyder)

This next picture I have, again shamelessly stolen from eddieshep999

There have been many other failures posted. I don't know how many in total. I'd guesstimate as much as 5% based in CyncySpyder's poll

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...hlight=warning

Here is a photo of the billet arm that I received.

I’d like to say a hearty Thank You to two people:
    First, noboot (Ron) for making these beautiful works of art. As sturdy as they are beautiful. I understand there is a move afoot to have these arms available through one of the established vendors here on this site.

Second is John (JRWW). I had contacted JRWW who had installed the billet arm himself. He was able to give me some general directions to follow and a few keen pointers, some of which I neglected, much to my detriment. I will quote parts of his email at appropriate times

The billet arm is exactly that, a single piece of metal. Manufactured by cutting away unwanted material from one piece of aluminum. There are no welds to fail, nor is there any grain such as the pressed metal OEM pieces. The existing arm has often times proven inferior.
    My 2010 went through two of these arms and a friend of mine surprisingly had his arm fail as well.
    Talking with others, it seems the Florida contingent has no problems with these arms. It may well be that only those in the Northeast (AKA potholes) have reliability issues.

I photographed everything, mostly so I would know how to reassemble things.

First, remove the windshield and the windshield support. This comes out pretty easily with just a few bolts and bushings. This takes about 15 minutes.
    Next, remove the fascia around the windshield operating arms to get to the one we want to replace.
    There are two screws on the top, take them out.
    You have to take off the mirrors, both left and right upper panels and the fascia around the headlights to get to all the bolts to remove the windshield fascia. This doesn’t take a long time.
    At this point we’re about an hour into the project.
    Now that the windshield mechanism is exposed, you need to start removing the arm from the mechanism in order to replace it.

Next is a photo of the windshield mechanism exposed with the OEM arm in place.

At this point, I’ll quote John:

"Gidday Steven,
    I'll try and explain as best I can from memory, now been awhile since I did this. Once all the Tupperware is removed the tricky bit is prying the top plastic parts either side of the arm apart. They are glued down and after you remove the screws, use a flat bladed screwdriver, I gently tapped it between the top and bottom section, it takes a bit of force to break the glue and mine went flying across my workshop. Then the arm lifts out, make sure you mark the position of the arm on either side before removing. The next difficult part is removing the arm from the shaft, on one end is a magnet, put some tape over it so you don't lose it. I placed the arm in a bench vice to remove a pin that locks the arm in place. I sacrificed a small drill of the same size to tap it out, make sure you don't damage the hexagonal shaft in anyway as you won't get the new arm on. Then using a hair dyer to heat the toothed plastic wheel I used a small open ended spanner slightly bigger than the shaft placed on the wheel and very gently tapped the spanner with a hammer to remove the wheel. Did I mention gently!!!!! Take your time here!!!! Apply plenty of heat and take your time. Once you have the wheel removed then with a rubber mallet gently tap the hexagonal shaft out of the old arm. Again take your time and be gentle!!! The installation of the new arm is just the reverse, make sure the hole in the arm lines up with the hole in the shaft to replace the metal pin. Forgot to mention I had real difficulty in removing two of the screws on one side of the plastic holding the arm in place, ended up removing with multi grips and destroying the head, so went to my local bolt place and bought new bolts with Allen key head. Also once you have put the arm back in place and fitted everything, start your bike and operate the electric button to ensure the arm moves up and down without any issues. If you mark the position as I mentioned everything should be fine. Best of luck and let me know how you go.
    Regards
    John"

The arm/shaft/gear can be removed from the lifting mechanism without removing the mechanism from the Spyder.
    I removed the screws that hold the top part of the plastic pieces in place. In both cases, the lower screw could be removed easily. I broke the heads off the upper screws. The plastic pieces came off with no problem at all. No, or little glue.
    Removing the arm assembly was quite easy, and I was left with the next biggest problem. Removing the plastic gear to make way for removing and replacing the arm. There is a small screw at the end of the gear that retains the gear on the shaft. This needs to be removed. The head is a small phillips head, which I promptly stripped. I used a hacksaw to cut a new slot for a straight bladed screwdriver and carefully removed the screw.

I tried the spanner (wrench) trick John spoke of with one minor difference. Rather than putting the wrench around the plastic shaft of the gear, I put the wrench around the sprocket and began rapping. This was not wise. Not much happened, so I continue to rap with increasing force until I finally broke the gear. I should have paid more attention to the "gently" part.
    Once the gear was broken, it was much easier getting the plastic shaft off the main shaft. I understand Ron is now including wedges in his kit to help with uninstalling the plastic gear.

Next is a photo of the broken gear.

So, now I had to fix the gear. I degreased the plastic parts and got out Devcon Plastic Welder, my go to glue for all things plastic from ABS to Styrene. It glues everything except polypropylene. If you ever use it, one safety tip: The instructions say “Use in a well ventilated area”. They aren’t kidding. This stuff is great, but it smells very bad. This glue forms a chemical bond with the plastic, so it's much stronger than a simple glue.

An hour later, the gear is repaired. I used one of my miniature screw drivers as a punch and hammered it to remove the pins on the old arm. I removed the old arm, installed the new arm reusing the pins and reinstalled the now repaired gear. I had to use a hammer to rap the plastic gear back into place. The outside diameter of the new arm is a little bigger than the old arm. When re-installing the pins, keep this in mind to try to install the pins to get maximum grip from both ends of the pin. Also remember to transfer the bushings from the old arm to the new arm.

Please note the plastic repair to the gear. I filled in the entire void space with glue, so instead of the 1/16" ring mounting the gear to the plastic shaft, now there is 3/8" of plastic mounting the gear to the plastic shaft. I was careful to make sure the gear was square to the shaft before the glue set. I'm confident that the plastic gear is now stronger than it was in its original configuration.

Here is another picture of the final assembly of the shaft. Notice the holes in the arm with the pins installed. You can clearly see that Ron has stamped the word "TOP" into the billet arm as another means to ensure the correct alignment.

I put the gear shaft and arm in place and locked it down with only one screw in each of the plastic retainers. I used the up and down buttons to cycle the mechanism and make sure it worked properly before I fully reassembled everything. You just need to make sure that you put the arm back in the same position you took it out from so the magnet lines up. The magnet is what controls the position of the arm. I used my favorite glue again to fill the screw holes of the broken screws to make sure the plastic parts stay in place tightly. This is very important. In my opinion, the control arm breaks because it is absorbing the energy from the twisting or bouncing motion of the windshield. The absorbed energy is what breaks the arm. The new arm doesn’t absorb the energy; it is strong enough that it just transmits the energy to the rest of the mechanism, so be sure the plastic parts are all locked down firmly, even if you need to use additional glue. This will ensure that other parts of the mechanism are strong enough to support the load of the bouncing windshield.

Next is a picture of the new arm assembled into the lifting mechanism.
    Notice the two new screws in the upper holes of the plastic hold down pieces. These are also glued in place for additional strength.

After re-installing the front fascia, I ran the arm up and down again to make sure it operated properly.

All told, going from old arm to new arm took about 4 hours, and that included an extra 90 minutes figuring things out and repairing all the stuff I broke. Figure about 2 and a half hours if most goes well. I waited another 6 hours or so before I put the windshield support and windshield back in place to allow all the glued pieces to reach maximum strength before use.

I've had the new arm on for 1500 miles now. No operational issues with the lifting mechanism at all.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 08-30-2015 at 10:18 AM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting

I would like to get my arm changed out but would be not have the skills to even attempt this (Bound to end in tears or more expense)

Maybe someone will come up with the arm already located on the shaft and it would be any easy swap out but reading whats involved I doubt this will be available or even possible as the arm needs to be set to ensure it rises and falls correctly

The other option would be for BRP to purchase the arms and fit them to new machines to avoid any further issues, again I don't expect to happen which is such a shame

I have a broken unit (Motor, Mount, Shaft and broken Arm etc all still in place)- Having had BRP replace mine for the 2nd time So if I could find someone willing to take the work on I would be willing to post it out and pay for the work to be done and returned to me
    I would then keep it ready to change out with a stock unit when I upgrade to the 1300 RT sometime next year
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default windshield bracket

I also just purchased this bracket for my 2014 RTS...I have a F4 larger windshield and I live in PA, noted for pot holed roads...So to be ready for when the cracks start I purchased this QUALITY replacement part...GREAT SERVICE and a QUALITY PART from Ron Piggott...larryd

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE WINDSHIELD ARM ISSUE

.....Thank you for taking the time to present this information and doing it in such a professional manner . As you and some others here may remember I have had some experience with this issue. I made a steel cover for a broken one that I got from a fellow Spyderlover, ( BILL RYAN ) and swapped it for the one on my 2014 RT. ...Actually I had to swap the entire Platform with the arm assembly. Because His ARM wouldn't work properly on My Platform ( the large blk plastic piece everything attaches to) ........I did discover that when putting the ARM back into it's fitting ( on the platform ) it didn't matter about where it was marked ....it always went up and down and stopped where it was supposed to, no matter how I placed it in it's fitting ......Somehow the magnetic TRIGGER and the computer are linked because it always worked as designed .....And when it comes from the factory IMHO the ARM and PLATFORM are linked ......and you cannot exchange or swap ARM assemblies with different PLATFORMS ......At least this was my experience.............Getting the GEAR wheel off the Shaft ( as stated above ) is going to be a challenge to say the least......I have made two attempts on my original ARM ( I use this to make steel covers ) , without success. I did not use HEAT on the gear wheel though......I have a concern about warping / melting that plastic, BECAUSE if you do you cannot replace the gear wheel......and if it is not absolutely " TRUE " ,,,it may work a few times , but either the motor will burn out or the gears will strip.......If you think the ARM is stressed ....that's nothing compared to the gear assembly............So far My cover is working well , I have about 800+ miles on the windshield since I put it on.....I hope this info helps anyone attempting this fix........................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-05-2014 at 08:39 AM.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting. I will be upgrading mine as soon as those are available and I urge everyone else to do so. I do not see them breaking at low speed. Probably on the interstate and in heavy traffic. A much needed upgrade.

Spyder Garage

I also have one sleeping in my tool box from down under including the wedges to assist in the gear removal. Insurance just in case. If mine breaks under warranty I will let BRP replace it after that I will.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Where do you get the replacement arm?
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default So you made it OK

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....Thank you for taking the time to present this information and doing it in such a professional manner . As you and some others here may remember I have had some experience with this issue. I made a steel cover for a broken one that I got from a fellow Spyderlover, and swapped it for the one on my 2014 RT. ...Actually I had to swap the entire Platform with the arm assembly. Because His ARM wouldn't work properly on My Platform ( the large blk plastic piece everything attaches to) ........I did discover that when putting the ARM back into it's fitting ( on the platform ) it didn't matter about where it was marked ....it always went up and down and stopped where it was supposed to, no matter how I placed it in it's fitting ......Somehow the magnetic TRIGGER and the computer are linked because it always worked as designed .....And when it comes from the factory IMHO the ARM and PLATFORM are linked ......and you cannot exchange or swap ARM assemblies with different PLATFORMS ......At least this was my experience.............Getting the GEAR wheel off the Shaft ( as stated above ) is going to be a challenge to say the least......I have made two attempts on my original ARM ( I use this to make steel covers ) , without success. I did not use HEAT on the gear wheel though......I have a concern about warping / melting that plastic, BECAUSE if you do you cannot replace the gear wheel......and if it is not absolutely " TRUE " ,,,it may work a few times , but either the motor will burn out or the gears will strip.......If you think the ARM is stressed ....that's nothing compared to the gear assembly............So far My cover is working well , I have about 800+ miles on the windshield since I put it on.....I hope this info helps anyone attempting this fix........................Mike
    Hi Mike
    Bill Ryan here I'm the guy sent you the assembly . I sent a reply to Deanna777 she had commented about Lake George and I wanted to know how things went this year. Just got a message from Chuck as well. I'm sorry to say it was not in the cards for me this year. Maybe next year if there is another. I know Ron was hesitant after the first one but maybe it is additive. Hope you all had a good time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    Where do you get the replacement arm?
    On eBay he is supposed to be working with Bajaron to get them vended on here. He only had a limited supply on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251628654594...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting this information! I've got my "NoBoot" piece here in my desk... If the time comes; I'll give a link to this thread to my technician at my dealership; they've promised to help make some "Magic" happen...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

.....Thank you for taking the time to present this information and doing it in such a professional manner . As you and some others here may remember I have had some experience with this issue. I made a steel cover for a broken one that I got from a fellow Spyderlover, ( BILL RYAN ) and swapped it for the one on my 2014 RT. ...Actually I had to swap the entire Platform with the arm assembly. Because His ARM wouldn't work properly on My Platform ( the large blk plastic piece everything attaches to) ........I did discover that when putting the ARM back into it's fitting ( on the platform ) it didn't matter about where it was marked ....it always went up and down and stopped where it was supposed to, no matter how I placed it in it's fitting ......Somehow the magnetic TRIGGER and the computer are linked because it always worked as designed .....And when it comes from the factory IMHO the ARM and PLATFORM are linked ......and you cannot exchange or swap ARM assemblies with different PLATFORMS ......At least this was my experience.............Getting the GEAR wheel off the Shaft ( as stated above ) is going to be a challenge to say the least......I have made two attempts on my original ARM ( I use this to make steel covers ) , without success. I did not use HEAT on the gear wheel though......I have a concern about warping / melting that plastic, BECAUSE if you do you cannot replace the gear wheel......and if it is not absolutely " TRUE " ,,,it may work a few times , but either the motor will burn out or the gears will strip.......If you think the ARM is stressed ....that's nothing compared to the gear assembly............So far My cover is working well , I have about 800+ miles on the windshield since I put it on.....I hope this info helps anyone attempting this fix........................Mike
    Hi there,

With My replacement bracket I supply a set of "wedges" or Shims to enable you to progressively push the gear wheel (we call it a worm wheel) back off the shaft. We also looked at heat but too much can go wrong.

Cheers, noboot

Spyder Garage

Default I know you got yours off

Quote Originally Posted by noboot View Post
    Hi there,

With My replacement bracket I supply a set of "wedges" or Shims to enable you to progressively push the gear wheel (we call it a worm wheel) back off the shaft. We also looked at heat but too much can go wrong.

Cheers, noboot
    ....... This winter when the Spyder is put to bed so to speak .... I will make some wedges and try again...... My feeling is, when BRP designed this assembly they had no intention of either them or anyone else taking it apart.... That is why It's sold as a complete unit ( which IMHO is total BS ) but what do I know: lecturef_smilie: ................. Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-13-2021 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Fixed text display ;-)

Spyder Garage

I am another who has replaced the RT windshield actuating arm with the one made by Ron Piggott in Australia. It is beautifully made and fitted perfectly.

Unfortunately, I had great difficulty in removing the plastic worm wheel. I tried to use the wedges but only succeeded in damaging the end of the boss on the gear. Since this is a bearing that was not good. I devised a different removal method which worked and so I thought that I would pass it on in case anyone else needs to do it. I drilled a hole in a piece of 3/8 inch thick steel bar. The hole was the same size as the dimension across the corners of the hexagonal shaft. I cannot remember the drill size and I am not at home now but it is easily measured. I then cut the bar through the center of the hole to create two pieces which can be used to clamp the assembly vertically in the vise. I removed the scroll pins from the old arm and slid it up against the end of the worm wheel. Then I mounted the assembly in the vise with the split bar clamp positioned 1/16 inch above the end with the magnet, clamping it very tightly since I did not want it to slide and damage the magnet end. Aluminum would be easier to drill and cut but I was not confident that it would provide the amount of grip which I needed. Possible slight damage to the hexagonal bar at this point would not matter. Then, I used the wedges positioned between the steel clamp and the end of the old arm to push the old arm upwards against the end of the worm wheel. It moved and then it was easier to continue to remove it. Since the old arm had a full diameter contact on the end of the worm wheel no further damage was done. I was able to clean up the end of the worm wheel bearing boss using a Swiss file and careful measurement. I was surprised that the hexagonal bar showed no marks of damage from where I clamped it and I think it must be made of quite good material.

BRP should be ashamed that they have not redesigned this part to eliminate a persistent and dangerous failure.

Alan.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think once BRP gets dragged to court .. and have to pay out millions for an injury or death for a "known defect" they will prolly do something about the cracking windshield bracket.. not to mention how much money lost from people not buying their products...

Spyder Garage

Default Video for Replacement Windscreen Arm on RT

I have posted this video on another thread but I guess it can't help to have it in two places.

Went to a friends place the other day, he wanted to try and install his replacement Windscreen bracket so I took along the video camera. Came up with this Video of how to install your replacment bracket. It's a bit rough around the edges but it's a first attempt at doing a video.

cheers noboot

Spyder Garage

I have posted this video on another thread but I guess it can't help to have it in two places.

Went to a friends place the other day, he wanted to try and install his replacement Windscreen bracket so I took along the video camera. Came up with this Video of how to install your replacment bracket. It's a bit rough around the edges but it's a first attempt at doing a video.

cheers noboot
    Very nice Ron !!!
    If a picture is worth 1000 words, a video is worth 1000 pictures.

Thanks so much.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default I DID MINE ALSO ...BUT !!!

Hi there,

Cheers, noboot
    .................................................. ....I finally accomplished the gear wheel removal......I didn't have wedges .....I made a tool using a 3/16 th thick steel bar that I drilled a 3/8 hole then cut out a slot and "V'd" the hole to match the HEX.........I secured the ARM in a vise and used the tool against the MAGNET END and slowly tapped it off ............It came off much easier than the GEAR WHEEL ....................MY question to you is WHY didn't you take the Magnet end off ??????.....Mike

Spyder Garage

.................................................. ....I finally accomplished the gear wheel removal......I didn't have wedges .....I made a tool using a 3/16 th thick steel bar that I drilled a 3/8 hole then cut out a slot and "V'd" the hole to match the HEX.........I secured the ARM in a vise and used the tool against the MAGNET END and slowly tapped it off ............It came off much easier than the GEAR WHEEL ....................MY question to you is WHY didn't you take the Magnet end off ??????.....Mike
    Yep! Fair comment. Once we came up with the "Wedges" or "Shims" we decided it was safer to remove the Gear wheel than the magnet end to the proximity switch. There was more room for leverage on the wheel than on the magnet end. Maybe when we do the next one we'll have another look at the magnet end. Although with every arm I am now supplying a set of wedges included and they appear to be working as intended. We did another RT last weekend and let the owner do most of it himself and the wedges worked fine. Can't stress how important it is to mark all the points indicated in the video so the arm goes back in exactly as it came out otherwise you may find it doesn't go up and down correctly.

If you are happy to remove the magnet end are confident in not damaging it or the hex shaft, do so as removing one end would be as good as the other.
    Cheers, ron

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I also just purchased this bracket for my 2014 RTS...I have a F4 larger windshield and I live in PA, noted for pot holed roads...So to be ready for when the cracks start I purchased this QUALITY replacement part...GREAT SERVICE and a QUALITY PART from Ron Piggott...larryd
    May I ask where you got the billet arm? I'd like to get one!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by obiwan57 View Post
    noboot was selling them on ebay but he only had a few. I believe he is working with Bajaron on getting them distributed here in the USA.

Spyder Garage

Default I WOULD BUT

Quote Originally Posted by obiwan57 View Post
    ......You ask questions ....and have gotten answers here .............But don't indicate that you have followed up,..... so therefore .........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Australia's Spyder Royale

Last Weekend We had our annual SPYDER ROYALE which is the equivalent to the USA SPYDERFEST (but in a lot smaller way) and we found eleven (11) RT's with cracked Windscreen arms. Maybe our roads down under are a lot harder on the Spyders

Spyder Garage

I have my Alloy arm listed on e-bay if anyone is interested in a purchase as I have not yet secured a vendor within the USA to sell them.
    Last edited by noboot; 12-15-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

I too have this aftermarket arm just in case. Not knowing how long this part would be available I ordered. It just amazes me that the company has not yet changed this part. I suppose you just have to follow the money. Too costly for BRP or is it something else?
    2014 Pearl White RT, TriAxis handlebar, BaJaron Bar&Links, Spyderpops belt guard, bumpskid & stainless grilles, Seal Dlx boards, JT's Dash Mount, SmoothSpyder belt tensioner, HMT brake, TricFender led's, mudflap lights, air horn, Squared Away laser alignment

Spyder Garage

Default REMOVAL OF MAGNET END

Yep! Fair comment. Once we came up with the "Wedges" or "Shims" we decided it was safer to remove the Gear wheel than the magnet end to the proximity switch. There was more room for leverage on the wheel than on the magnet end. Maybe when we do the next one we'll have another look at the magnet end. Although with every arm I am now supplying a set of wedges included and they appear to be working as intended. We did another RT last weekend and let the owner do most of it himself and the wedges worked fine. Can't stress how important it is to mark all the points indicated in the video so the arm goes back in exactly as it came out otherwise you may find it doesn't go up and down correctly.

If you are happy to remove the magnet end are confident in not damaging it or the hex shaft, do so as removing one end would be as good as the other.
    Cheers, ron
    .........Ron, I went a step farther on the wedge thing.....I made a pair which are slotted in the middle to go around the HEX shaft.......I then put them in a vise opposing each other with the HEX shaft in the middle ......As I close the vise it gently slides the MAGNET END off.....I actually tried both ends , but the magnet end goes off much easier because there is a lot less surface contact therefore less friction.......Works like a charm................Mike