Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Post SPYDER RT CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

I JUST RECENTLY PURCHASED A 2011 SPYDER RT, THE FIRST DAY, THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON WITH A CODE PO171 ( LEFT BANK LEAN ) CONTACTED THE DEALER, TOOK BACK TO THEM, THEY REPLACED OXYGEN SENSOR, VAPOR CANISTER PURGE VALVE , THE SERVICE MANAGER SHOWED NE THE DIAGNOSTIC SCREEN AND EXPLAINED EVERYTHING TO ME. RODE IT HOME ( 55 MILES ) CHECK ENGINE CAME ON SAME CODE [PO171] . WHEN I PURCHASE THE UNIT THE DEALER GAVE ME THE 20,000 MILE MAINTENANCE LIST, WHICH AT THE TOP INDICATED THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD MULTIPLE PROBLEMS LIKE THIS ?????????????? BU THE WAY I LOVE THE SPYDER RT!!!!!!!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that you're having some difficulties right now...
    Did your dealer check the condition of the vacuum hoses? They're pretty prone to quick deterioration, and should be replaced with a higher-quality silicon hose...
    (Two approximately 3" pieces of tubing, is all that you need...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Post THANK YOU !!!!!

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT ALL THEY CHECKED BUT, I WILL LET THEM KNOW YOUR SUGGESTION THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSE !!!!! I AM THINKING VERY SERIOUSE ABOUT TRADING IT BACK FOR A 2013 RT [ EVERY THING EVEN THE COLOR { RED } IS EXACTLY THE SAME EXCEPT THE WHEELS ARE BLACK INSTEAD OF CHROME. I WOULD HAVE TO PAY SOMEWHERE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD OF $4,000.00 ? WHAT DO YOU THINK ????? THEY ARE CHECKING TO SEE IF THEY HAVE THE RED IN STOCK AND IF NOT, THEY WILL TRY TO TRACK ONE DOWN !
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Sorry to hear that you're having some difficulties right now...
    Did your dealer check the condition of the vacuum hoses? They're pretty prone to quick deterioration, and should be replaced with a higher-quality silicon hose...
    (Two approximately 3" pieces of tubing, is all that you need...)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your 2011, for a 2013??
    I trust that you're aware of the heat issues, that some of the 2013 owners have had to deal with...
    I would never say to NOT do it; but go in with both eyes open...
    Make sure that the bike has had ALL of the updates and TSBs attended to...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2011 FOR 2013

bob: this

is a brand new spyder and i am sure the dealer can do all the updates ! your spyders are very nice !!!! love the custom paint !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Blue one?
    Pete, from
    http://wrapmyspyder.com/
    made that magic happen!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default thanks again !

Your 2011, for a 2013??
    I trust that you're aware of the heat issues, that some of the 2013 owners have had to deal with...
    I would never say to NOT do it; but go in with both eyes open...
    Make sure that the bike has had ALL of the updates and TSBs attended to...
    I talked to service manager and they did check the vacuum hoses and, even wrapped then with a special heat resistant tape. he is waiting for can am tech to call him back ! i will keep you advised !!!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-12-2021 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Post LATEST ON CHECK ENGINE LIGHT !

HEARD BACK FROM DEALER, CAN AM TECH SAID THEY NEED TO CHANGE THE THROTTLE BODY, DAMN HOPE THAT IS THE PROBLEM AND IT FIXES PROBLEM FOR GOOD !!!!!

PART SHOULD BE IN TUESDAY OR WEDNESDAY AT THE LATEST !!!!! WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED WHEN I NOW MORE !!!!! SAT. WAS A BEAUTIFUL DAY WENT FOR A 125 MILE RIDE UP AROUND SENECA LAKE !!!!! 3 COUPLES AND 1 LONE RIDER ! LOVE THE RT !!!!! BY THE WAY IT RAN GREAT !

My Blue one?
    Pete, from
    http://wrapmyspyder.com/
    made that magic happen!
    Last edited by Questions; 09-21-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default love mine too.. but

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNPHCR View Post
    I JUST RECENTLY PURCHASED A 2011 SPYDER RT, THE FIRST DAY, THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON WITH A CODE PO171 ( LEFT BANK LEAN ) CONTACTED THE DEALER, TOOK BACK TO THEM, THEY REPLACED OXYGEN SENSOR, VAPOR CANISTER PURGE VALVE , THE SERVICE MANAGER SHOWED NE THE DIAGNOSTIC SCREEN AND EXPLAINED EVERYTHING TO ME. RODE IT HOME ( 55 MILES ) CHECK ENGINE CAME ON SAME CODE [PO171] . WHEN I PURCHASE THE UNIT THE DEALER GAVE ME THE 20,000 MILE MAINTENANCE LIST, WHICH AT THE TOP INDICATED THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD MULTIPLE PROBLEMS LIKE THIS ?????????????? BU THE WAY I LOVE THE SPYDER RT!!!!!!!!!!
    YEAH- I still have this problem to this day and now they are complaining and directing the blame to MODS. but I quickly remind them that those lean codes were thrown when I bought the bike and had NO MODS ! they quickly change their tune but still have that un-easy feeling I am going to be fighting from now on. GOOD luck!
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

Default 2011 Throttle Body Engine Light

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNPHCR View Post
    HEARD BACK FROM DEALER, CAN AM TECH SAID THEY NEED TO CHANGE THE THROTTLE BODY, DAMN HOPE THAT IS THE PROBLEM AND IT FIXES PROBLEM FOR GOOD !!!!!

PART SHOULD BE IN TUESDAY OR WEDNESDAY AT THE LATEST !!!!! WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED WHEN I NOW MORE !!!!! SAT. WAS A BEAUTIFUL DAY WENT FOR A 125 MILE RIDE UP AROUND SENECA LAKE !!!!! 3 COUPLES AND 1 LONE RIDER ! LOVE THE RT !!!!! BY THE WAY IT RAN GREAT !
    Just wanted to know if changing the throttle body solved the problem. Was just told I need to change mine out.

Thanks,
    Susan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lilluke View Post
    Just wanted to know if changing the throttle body solved the problem. Was just told I need to change mine out.

Thanks,
    Susan
    The post you are quoting us 4 years old so you won’t likely hear from that persin. Maybe you should post a new thread, there have been lots of throttle body replacements so I think soneone will be able to tell you if it fixed their issues.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The post you are quoting us 4 years old so you won’t likely hear from that persin. Maybe you should post a new thread, there have been lots of throttle body replacements so I think soneone will be able to tell you if it fixed their issues.
    Thanks.

I'm seqrching right now to see if I can find anything before posting again.

Susan

Spyder Garage

I also have an 011 with a P0171. Dealer suspects the after market muffler but had worked fine for a couple of years. Your thoughts?

Spyder Garage

So just like SpyderAnn as quoted in the post above yours, I doubt you'll get too much from response from most of the 2014 posters

As for the code you're getting.... hmmm, caused by an aftermarket muffler?? Yeah, I REALLY doubt that, especially since it didn't show up until now, instead of immediately after you fitted the muffler!!

P0171 is an ECM code (ECM = Engine Control Module) ; System too lean Bank 1. Injection & fuel supply system. Check injector & fuel supply system

Still, you might want to check the exhaust for any leaks, especially any leaks upstream of the O2 (oxygen) sensor - any air getting in there will mean the sensor sees too much oxygen in the exhaust gasses & so assumes the engine is running lean! But the only way it could be due to the a/mkt muffler would be if the muffler is not providing enough back-pressure to keep the exhaust in the pipe long enough for the O2 sensor to read the gasses properly, and THAT surely would've been evident & problematic from the moment you fitted it! So it might be worth checking the O2 sensor & its wiring, connectors etc as well! And as was mentioned earlier in this thread, it's always worthwhile checking & replacing the vacuum hoses with better quality/longer lasting silicone hoses, especially on a pre-2014 Spyder!

All that said, are there any other symptoms associated with this code appearing?? Was it running rough &/or back-firing a bit before the code came up? Please tell us a bit more about how the Spyder was behaving & running in the lead up to the code occurring, then tell us what's happened since? The code in isolation doesn't really let us do much beyond parroting back the code's meaning & maybe taking a guess or two, but from your post I figure you would prefer to get some reasonable idea about what we think is likely going to be causing that code to come up in the first place? For that, we really need a bit more the info mentioned above.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-12-2021 at 07:33 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

It may be the rubber mounts that attach the throttle body to the cylinder head could be cracked....one can go bad before the other, and that can lead to a Lean condition on one cyl.. if that's the case, they cost around $65 for the pair; need to know exact model (RT, RTs, RT Ltd, SM5 or SE5) for proper part number

Spyder Garage

I would hope he fixed it by now!!! 2014 post!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl