Spyder Garage

Default California Spec Spyders

Does anyone out there know how to tell if a particular Spyder is a California Model? (More stringent emissions requirements) Is it part of the VIN? Or is there another way to tell? Thanks in advance for any help.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Isn't there a sticker under the seat?
    I was under the impression, that they are all 50-State compliant...

EDIT: there's a couple of stickers under there...
    But I can't read them!!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 09-18-2014 at 10:01 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Arrow Spyders

They all meet Ca. Emission spec.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

They are NOT all California compliant. This was discussed in another thread about 3 months ago. If the sticker does not specifically say it is California or 50 state compliant it is not. If it has less than 7,500 miles on it, and is not California compliant you will not be able to register it in California. Ever. When you go to register it in California you must remove the tuberware so the DMV clerk can check the VIN number on the frame AND on the engine. ...this is The People's Rebublik of Califoreignia you know!
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dan,
    I think that you sound ready to move further inland...
    Not, that it's a whole lot better!

New York and California (I believe), use the same emissions standards for their bikes...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    Thin they are NOT all California compliant. This was discussed in another thread about 3 months ago. If the sticker does not specifically say it is California or 50 state compliant it is not. If it has less than 7,500 miles on it, and is not California compliant you will not be able to register it in California. Ever. When you go to register it in California you must remove the tuberware so the DMV clerk can check the VIN number on the frame AND on the engine. ...this is The People's Rebublik of Califoreignia you know!
    If the unit was first sold in the US it has the sticker.

Spyder Garage

I was told by my dealer that all Spyders have the same engine choking scheme for emissions.... However, if it wasn't first sold in CA, CA DMV incorrectly assumes you are trying to get around their testing and fees.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Arrow

[Dragonrider;875740]I was told by my dealer that all Spyders have the same engine choking scheme for emissions.... However, if it wasn't first sold in CA, CA DMV incorrectly assumes you are trying to get around their testing and fees.[/QUOTE]

Currently, no(motorcycle) smog testing is required. The Ca. DMV wants to see serial numbers to prevent 'HOT' bikes from being registered.

Spyder Garage

Good information folks.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for your input. Bob, you are right in that NY has adopted the California Emissions code. IN fact, I think that all vehicles - cars especially - are "50 state compliant". Easier for manufacturers that way.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Thanks to all for your input. Bob, you are right in that NY has adopted the California Emissions code. IN fact, I think that all vehicles - cars especially - are "50 state compliant". Easier for manufacturers that way.
    only if it says so on the sticker. About 3 or 4 months ago, in a different thread, a poster reported on a conversation he had with BRP. BRP said, "Not all Roadsters are California emissions compliant." You better look at the sticker to make sure. California does not smog test motorcycles. But if they have less than 7,500 miles on them and the sticker does not specifically state that it is compliant, you cannot register it in California. It doesn't matter if the vehicle is identical in every respect with those sold new in California--it must have the sticker with the proper endorsement, otherwise it cannot be registered here.

If you are planning on registering a vehicle here--of any kind--and it has less than 7,500 miles on it you (the buyer) should go out of your way to physically inspect the sticker yourself.

This can be a very costly and irritating mistake if you buy any vehicle with the wrong sticker.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe