Spyder Garage

Angry Won't start after short ride, is it a heat related issue? 90 days and counting!

New battery, tightened all ground wires, new starter and still it won't start -can't get off it and reliably expect it to start. It stranded me at a Church Parking lot - after almost exactly an hour it started up, drove it home (10 miles) got off it, waited five minutes wouldn't start again. Has anyone any experience with heat related issues that will stop a Spyder from starting?

this is a 2012 Spyder RT Ltd with 5500 miles - this started at about the 4600 mile checkup (90 days ago) , then replaced battery, then tightened qround wires, then Can-Am warrantied a starter (installed yesterday) test drove - picked up an hour or two later - started fine, trailered home, started off trailer, started after repositioning in my hanger, drove 15 miles - stopped in Church Parking lot - would not start - waited an hour (called for a tow - none available) started again, drove home, parked 5 minutes, would not start again.

My Spyder starts sometimes, doesn't start after a short ride and is totally unreliable, what to do? My Spyder has been towed to the dealer three times since this started in May, tomorrow will be the fourth time - does anyone have experience with the "Lemon Law" as it applies to South Carolina? I've got reservations for four days at 'Spyders in the Smokies" on October 23rd and am wondering if I'll ever be able to make it.

If anyone can help me, my dealer (Columbia Powersports) or Can-Am with this problem which seems to indicate "heat related" I surely would appreciate it. I really think that my dealer is doing the very best he can and that no other dealer could do any better.

Does anyone have any suggestion? Anyone with "heat related" issues? Would the relays be heat sensitive? Anything anyone can think of would be appreciated.

BTW - not a single code thrown!

Thanks,

Joe Upchurch
    802-427-3794

Joe Upchurch
    'cell 803-427-3794
    Last edited by Joe Upchurch; 09-17-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: left off something

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe,
    I don't think that this is due to heat...
    there's a wiring connection that's either not really tight, ORRRRR.... your battery was never fully-charged.
    Can you put it on a Battery Tender overnight?
    Try that, and see if it makes a difference.
    If it doesn't; you'll have to check all of the connections to the battery, plus all of the grounds to the chassis...
    Your dealer should be doing all of this; but I don't know what they've done, so I'm starting with the basics.
    Good Luck; please let us all know what you find!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Isn't reliable - starter problems

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Joe,
    I don't think that this is due to heat...
    there's a wiring connection that's either not really tight, ORRRRR.... your battery was never fully-charged.
    Can you put it on a Battery Tender overnight?
    Try that, and see if it makes a difference.
    If it doesn't; you'll have to check all of the connections to the battery, plus all of the grounds to the chassis...
    Your dealer should be doing all of this; but I don't know what they've done, so I'm starting with the basics.
    Good Luck; please let us all know what you find!
    Bob,

the dealer has done everything Can-Am has suggested and it seems to come back ride after ride, none of them seem to have anything similar going on. Best PLUSS will pay another $200 tow tomorrow - I'll keep calling the tow truck but the dealer has the Spyder in his possession a whole lot more than I have had over the past 90 days. I'm committed to the Spyder (after all the accesories I have on it I've invested around $40,000 and I was hoping to be able to keep and ride it for 4 years)

Spyder Garage

I don't think it is heat related issues. Spyder's engine always runs hot anyway. I had a Yamaha ATV that does the same thing a few years back. I would checked the starter relay/ solenoid switch. Good Luck.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree... start with a new starter.

When it won't start is it dead? No turning over or anything?
    Do the lights come on, radio etc work?

There's zero reason why your dealer can't figure this out with use of a voltage meter.

Spyder Garage

Default relays

have they replaced any relays? have you tried switching them around when the bike won't start?
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Caito View Post
    I don't think it is heat related issues. Spyder's engine always runs hot anyway. I had a Yamaha ATV that does the same thing a few years back. I would checked the starter relay/ solenoid switch. Good Luck.
    They replaced the starter and it still wouldn't start.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Switched the relays, new battery, new starter, checked & tightened the grounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

After getting it home I started and stopped it a dozen times with no problem. Got it up to operating temp - still couldn't duplicate "won't start". - tomorrow I'. Try shutting down in neutral to see if that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Process of elimination..!!

from what I see and read..you have a new battery, new starter. Now when it won't start try jumping it to eliminate the battery and ground connections. You can jump the starter which could indicate the starter switch, relay could be amiss. But all there is is battery, relay, starter button, kill switch (known to be faulty) and starter. Doesn't seem that hard to find the issue. Problem is you have to try them all for malfuntion and can't say I already tried that...do it again...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Upchurch View Post
    Bob,

the dealer has done everything Can-Am has suggested and it seems to come back ride after ride, none of them seem to have anything similar going on. Best PLUSS will pay another $200 tow tomorrow - I'll keep calling the tow truck but the dealer has the Spyder in his possession a whole lot more than I have had over the past 90 days. I'm committed to the Spyder (after all the accesories I have on it I've invested around $40,000 and I was hoping to be able to keep and ride it for 4 years)
    Joe,
    I don't know your dealer... so I can't trust that they've done, what they say that they've done...
    Some double-checking never hurts!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    from what I see and read..you have a new battery, new starter. Now when it won't start try jumping it to eliminate the battery and ground connections. You can jump the starter which could indicate the starter switch, relay could be amiss. But all there is is battery, relay, starter button, kill switch (known to be faulty) and starter. Doesn't seem that hard to find the issue. Problem is you have to try them all for malfuntion and can't say I already tried that...do it again...good luck..!!
    I would do the same. Jump the starter

Spyder Garage

Had the same thing happen to a car. Turned out to be a faulty battery.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They can test okay without a load on them.
    But as soon as you put some load on them; they get all crazy!
    Try load-testing the battery too!

Spyder Garage

Batteries off the self should receive a full charge before installation. This sounds to me like a faulty solenoid. It's not a heat soak issue. One real long stretch is a bad ring gear. But that is a really long shot.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zamfield View Post
    When it won't start is it dead?

No turning over or anything?

Do the lights come on, radio etc work?
    Speculating, since they replaced a starter motor, it would not crank over initially.

So when failed, does it crank over?

If it is cranking over but doesn't run, that is more things to consider.

PK

Spyder Garage

Question Shut down procedure now includes neutral gear selection - live and learn?

Every time the Spyder wouldn't start (for me) it was after shutting down in first gear which locked the transmission in first gear, of course. Each time the dealer got the machine they would get it started and probably put it in neutral when shutting it down thereby being unable to duplicate the behavior.

Chris at Columbia PowerSports thinks that there must be something wrong with whatever switch is in line between shutting down in first gear vs shutting down in neutral because I drove it all day today shutting down - starting up in every scenario I could think of.

he thinks that when it is left in first that it first takes it out of first gear then puts it in neutral and then cranks the starter when you push the start button with your foot on the brake pedal; but, on this machine when it is in first and you put on the brake and press the start button it dos not take it out of first and put it in neutral therefore the clicking sound and no starter.

Now, you had better believe that I am quite afraid that I will indadvertedly shut the machine down in first gear and be calling for a tow again.

Does anyone know of the device/switch/whatever it is that is in charge of starting the machine with your foot on the brake and the transmission in first? If you do, please let me know so that I can inform the dealer's mechanic myself.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A foot on the brake normally allows for starting in gear...
    glad to hear that you're making progress on this one!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Upchurch View Post
    he thinks that when it is left in first that it first takes it out of first gear then puts it in neutral and then cranks the starter when you push the start button with your foot on the brake pedal; but, on this machine when it is in first and you put on the brake and press the start button it dos not take it out of first and put it in neutral therefore the clicking sound and no starter.
    He is wrong. All SE Spyders will start in any gear. This is in the owners manual. For safety reasons when starting in gear, BRP will not let the starter spin unless your foot is on the brake. After the engine is started it will then automatically shift to neutral. It is impossible for the Spyder to shift itself to neutral before starting because it uses oil pressure to shift gears and there is no oil pressure until the engine is running.

The routine should be turn on the key. Flip the kill switch to the on position. Put your foot on the brake. Push the mode button. Press the starter button. It should start every time.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Time to post video again.

Here is a video I made and posted before but I think it is time again.
    I manually put it in 5th gear for demonstration purposes. Just to show what would happen when you start it. As you will see it will start without any problem in 5th gear and after it start will automatically shift itself into neutral. This works the same for any gear including reverse.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Here is a video I made and posted before but I think it is time again.
    I manually put it in 5th gear for demonstration purposes. Just to show what would happen when you start it. As you will see it will start without any problem in 5th gear and after it start will automatically shift itself into neutral. This works the same for any gear including reverse.

Out of curiosity what happens if you take your foot off the brake before it shifts down to neutral? I am wondering if the OP has a brake switch problem That would prevent start up in gear if the ECM is not getting the brake signal. Personally I have made it a habit to put it in neutral EVERY time I shut down before I put the parking brake on and never use the kill switch always turn the key off. My theory is if it isn't used it can't fail as I have heard some kill switches have.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Out of curiosity what happens if you take your foot off the brake before it shifts down to neutral? I am wondering if the OP has a brake switch problem That would prevent start up in gear if the ECM is not getting the brake signal. Personally I have made it a habit to put it in neutral EVERY time I shut down before I put the parking brake on and never use the kill switch always turn the key off. My theory is if it isn't used it can't fail as I have heard some kill switches have.
    Once it has started you can take your foot off the brake. It will keep shifting if it was not done. It will even rev the engine to 2,000 rpm to engage the clutch a little to move the gears around in the gearbox if it has trouble making a shift. Foot on the brake is a safety interlock for the starter only.
    50,000 plus Spyders on the planet and a few have posted that hey have had kill switches fail. Doesn't look like a big failure rate that concerns me.
    Could be a brake light switch but you would have thought the tech would have checked for that. Well maybe not if he thought it shifted gears without the engine running.

2018 F3 LIMITED