Spyder Garage

Default Need some suggestions/answers

I drive a 2012 RTS, SE5.
    Recently the problem I'm having is when the trike is below operating temperature, when you try to down shift manually from 2nd to 1st gear, the shifting will not work. It will stay in 2nd gear. When the trike is at operating temperature (mid way up the temp gauge) I don't seem to have this problem. When it's below operating temperature the gear shifting has no problem if you allow it to down shift automatically.

I have had it at the BRP Dealer a few times and they too can not figure out what is causing this to happen. They have also experienced this issue happening while test driving my trike.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so how was the issue resolved?

Thank you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydertrike View Post
    I drive a 2012 RTS, SE5.
    Recently the problem I'm having is when the trike is below operating temperature, when you try to down shift manually from 2nd to 1st gear, the shifting will not work. It will stay in 2nd gear. When the trike is at operating temperature (mid way up the temp gauge) I don't seem to have this problem. When it's below operating temperature the gear shifting has no problem if you allow it to down shift automatically.

I have had it at the BRP Dealer a few times and they too can not figure out what is causing this to happen. They have also experienced this issue happening while test driving my trike.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so how was the issue resolved?

Thank you
    I know of one 2010 with a bad paddle switch. Was fine after replacement.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

what kind of miles are on your roadster..?? Most shifting issues are oil related on se5's. Now the other parts involved are the linkage acuators paddle shifter and the clutch. Rpm's may be in the wrong range but you have been doing this for some time so thats out. If the dealer has in fact checked all the components then they would have to look into the clutch mechanism. I know there are springs in there that can fail and need replacing...hope it's just wrong oil or level problem or the paddle...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Is the oil level correct? Between the add and full line when checked at operating temperature.

Is the shift lever tightly clamped onto the spline shaft? Located under the tupperware just in front of the left foot peg. If it can slide back and forth on the shaft it is too loose.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The oil level is my first guess too. At operating temp the oil expands but below temp it may not be full enough to actuate properly. Second would be the paddle shifters, but since you can make it work at temp I am still on the oil thought. If oil is correct and you have had a proper oil change including both filters recently then I would talk to the tech guys about it.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

Sojnds like a good problem for Lamont & Ron too solve

Spyder Garage

The trike has about 16,000KM. BRP has replaced the cluster of signal, hi/low beam switches and the paddle twice. They have also retrained the system what ever they mean by that ?? However this has not solved the problem. The oil & filters had just been changed by BRP as there was a oil leak they had to fix. The oil level is high if anything but not low.

The dealer tech's don't know what is causing this issue.

If the RPM's are too high for the down shifting from 2nd to 1st gear, will this prevent the bike for not going into 1st gear manually ?

thanks

Spyder Garage

The trike has about 16,000KM. BRP has replaced the cluster of signal, hi/low beam switches and the paddle twice. They have also retrained the system what ever they mean by that ?? However this has not solved the problem. The oil & filters had just been changed by BRP as there was a oil leak they had to fix. The oil level is high if anything but not low.

If the RPM's are too high for the down shifting from 2nd to 1st gear, will this prevent the bike for not going into 1st gear manually ?

thanks
    A downshift from 2nd to 1st at about 3500 usually results in a smooth, seemless shift. Oil level could also be an issue.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Soooo... Have you checked the oil level yet??
    It's about the simplist potential source of the problem, to check on.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

well I think that we have exhausted the oil question. I think we can wait for the experts on all things transmission to chime in.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

thanks
    Did the tech.... Check the HCM oil pressure? Check the HCM regulator for dirt? Check the HCM regulator seat and plunger for a good seal? Check the HCM regulator spring free length? Check the HCM suction line screen in the oil tank for debris.

Yes the Spyder will refuse to down shift if the revs are too high. If the downshift will over rev the engine. Example trying to down shift at 9,000 rpm.
    Last edited by billybovine; 09-18-2014 at 09:42 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED