Spyder Garage

Angry Click Click, will not start! still after 90 days!

Are there any electrical engineers out here? On May 28th I got the "click click click - won't start" from my 2012 Spyder RT LTD and thus began three months of not being able to use my machine and still today it's in the dealer's shop awaiting a starter. Now they say after a new battery and newly tightened ground wires that there is a "bad spot" in the starter which causes it to start sometimes for no good reason and to fail most times because of this "bad spot".

My question is "Is there no way to diagnose a starter's "bad spot" other than to wait three months to exhaust every other possibility?" In your opinion, would a smart mechanic take the starter to his bench and energize it sufficient times to duplicate this behavior?

Sick of sitting at home when I should be out enjoying my Spyder.

Your opinion will be appreciated - maybe change mechanics - dealer?

Thanks,

Joe Upchurch

Spyder Garage

Default Sadly..!!

techs no longer repair things. If they pulled the starter apart they could find that the magnets become loose and need to be recememted. There are ways to check the rest if not the case. Now getting a new one, if not warranty, go to cheapcycleparts.com and get one. If warranty your stuck with dealers capabilities and brp's availabilities. Parts is a major problem...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

THREE Months???
    I'd have camped on their doorstep until they got tired of tripping over me, and just put a new starter on the bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Three months is ridiculous, they could have put in a different battery to test the starter or as you said bench test it. I think I would be looking for a different dealer.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
    Three months is ridiculous, they could have put in a different battery to test the starter or as you said bench test it. I think I would be looking for a different dealer.
    i know i'd be looking for a different dealer!!!

Spyder Garage

It looks like mechanic issues, rather than mechanical issues to me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, it seems most Spyder dealer service departments ARE this bad. There are good ones, but neither I nor the OP have one.

NO, this should not have had your Spyder out of service for 3 MONTHS. Your dealers service department should have figured it out long ago and had you on the road. Its quite obvious they do not CARE. You need to take the bike else where or get more actively involved with the process to get things moving. If you wait patiently, you will keep waiting.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=jcthorne;874747]Unfortunately, it seems most Spyder dealer service departments ARE this bad. There are good ones, but neither I nor the OP have one.

JC, have you found any good dealers in our area ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the Graphcs on your bike... How about some more pics?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Seems as if very few shops have a good service person on staff. Anyone should be able to rebuild a starter. Most are barely able to swap out a part.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How many miles do you have on your spyder?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

You need to write or call BRP, and let them know what's going on. Many times BRP is not aware of the problems we are have with their product, or how some of these "service centers" are. The only way (sometimes) is to go to the top.

Good luck

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Dgjason;874752]
    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Unfortunately, it seems most Spyder dealer service departments ARE this bad. There are good ones, but neither I nor the OP have one.

JC, have you found any good dealers in our area ?
    NO

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Cool Happy Ending via Columbia Powersports and Can-Am

Last Friday Can-Am agreed to warranty the starter and Columbia Powersports (Chris) got it and installed it this morning - After all this they even comped the $50.00 Best PLUSS warranty deductible. The new starter sounds quite different - seems to have more authority and I appreciate everything Chris and his crew did to finally get me back in the wind. I trailered it home; so the real test will come after multiple rides in the next day or two. I hope I don't have to call on my BEST PLUSS towing provision to get it to the dealer again. Stay tuned, no news will be good news.

I hope for everyone's sake that this is not indicative of warranty repairs or the time it takes to effect one if you have starter problems.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, encouragement, suggestions, etc during this process.

Sincerely,

Joe Upchurch

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the update. to having the problem solved now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Spoke too soon after new starter - would not start after 15 minute ride!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeUpchurch View Post
    Are there any electrical engineers out here? On May 28th I got the "click click click - won't start" from my 2012 Spyder RT LTD and thus began three months of not being able to use my machine and still today it's in the dealer's shop awaiting a starter. Now they say after a new battery and newly tightened ground wires that there is a "bad spot" in the starter which causes it to start sometimes for no good reason and to fail most times because of this "bad spot".

My question is "Is there no way to diagnose a starter's "bad spot" other than to wait three months to exhaust every other possibility?" In your opinion, would a smart mechanic take the starter to his bench and energize it sufficient times to duplicate this behavior?

Thanks,

Joe Upchurch

Can you believe it - this (my) Spyder is unreliable - what to do? Dealer says bring it back in tomorrow - will call BEST PLUSS again and let them tow it in again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that there is more about this; that points to the dealer, as the problem...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Time for your dealer to get a new mechanic or you to find a new dealer.
    If the tech was any good he know how to test the starter for bad spot.

Spyder Garage

Actually I have gotten many reports that Columbia PS IS a good dealer so I find this strange. Time for BRP to step up to the plate here and get one of their techs to stop in and check this bike. Are you listening BRP Cares Steve? You sure popped up fast enough on the 2015 RT thread how about a little help for this owner? That is why you are here isn't it? Or is it just to tell us the 2015 will have paint on it?
    Last edited by Magdave; 09-17-2014 at 07:17 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Cool Click click won't start - problem solved!!!!!tral

Quote Originally Posted by JoeUpchurch View Post

Thanks,

Joe Upchurch

After new battery, new starter, tightened all grounds, new brake switch and three tows to dealer have begun to leave it in neutral before turning the switch off - the few times I've forgotten and left it in first gear it has started after pressing the brake to make it shift into neutral. I think it has quit failing to start in first gear but I will continue to try to remember to shift into neutral when shutting it down just to be on the safe side of another tow.

Spyder Garage

Default Kudos to Columbia Powersports!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Upchurch View Post
    After new battery, new starter, tightened all grounds, new brake switch and three tows to dealer have begun to leave it in neutral before turning the switch off - the few times I've forgotten and left it in first gear it has started after pressing the brake to make it shift into neutral. I think it has quit failing to start in first gear but I will continue to try to remember to shift into neutral when shutting it down just to be on the safe side of another tow.

As as much as I hate the fact that this "failure to start" problem has kept my 2012 RT ltd in and out of the shop for more than three months, I have to give the people at Columbia PowerSports on Two Notch my thanks for getting me back to being able to depend upon my Spyder as being reliable.