Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What Other Trailers Will Work On A RT

I'm trying to plan ahead. After the MB fiasco, I would like to ask the trailer experts here what other trailers are used on a ' 14RT?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

While Murphy Brown's fiasco is definitely a black eye for BRP that is just one of probably several thousand 622's that have been operating without problems for five years or so.

We own two of them that have been trouble free.

It appears as though BRP is working to address this (although way too late) so I wouldn't be too quick to just discard the idea of owning one.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LOTS OF CHOICES

.....There have been numerous posts with " LINKS " to other trailer options, that IMHO make way more sense. Most other trailers are made from aluminum and have LED lights and are 100 lbs less than the 622...........think about this the Spyder is rated to tow 400 lbs.....The 622 weighs 240 lbs ( empty )..........that leaves only 160 lbs of stuff and you then at MAX......if you carry extra gas figure 7 lbs per gal.....if take a cooler ....add that + ICE ?........It adds up rapidly.........................I built mine , it weighs 100 lbs ...EMPTY,....COST ME ABOUT $125 Total......But there are always people who will wear their MINK coat in the summer to make a Fashion statement ...I'm not one of them ...........Mikeguyver ........MAYBE THOSE WHO KNOW WHERE AND HOW TO POST THE " LINKS " CAN HELP OUT HERE ? ? ?
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-15-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

There are several great trailers that will work with the RT with price tags (NEW) under $2000. In fact, you can probably get a good used trailer for under $1,000, with almost no miles on it... As stated, there are a number of threads on this topic - some dating back to 2010.... Have fun shopping.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

http://www.bushtec.com

Bushtec make nice towing trailers but are as much as the Can Am model or maybe more.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Lower Cost Alternative

It may not look as fancy as a $2,000 plus trailer but look at the Harbor Freight Tag-Along Trailer which I bought on sale plus used an additional 20% off coupon which put it out the door for $295.99 plus tax. Plus I picked it up from my local Harbor Freight store.

Forget all the verbiage some people say about having to put on larger wheels, replacing bearings, replacing the bolts & nuts and other stuff causing the price to go up. That is outdated information or just someone’s lies being passed around from ancient history or made-up stories by folks that never had one of these trailers. The ones that Harbor Freight sells may have had some of these issues when they were first imported from China but like a lot of the Chinese stuff they have not had these issues in years.

I did replace the incandescent lights with the LED kit from Harbor Freight so the electrical load on the Spyder would be lighter and added some conspicuity tape but other than that I just put the trailer together and we hit the road the next day for a 6 hour trip. It worked great down and back, and kept everything clean and even dry through some wet spots at 70+ MPH at times.

Charles

Leaving Lynchburg 2014-09-02 (cropped).jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....think about this the Spyder is rated to tow 400 lbs.....The 622 weighs 240 lbs ( empty )..........that leaves only 160 lbs of stuff and you then at MAX.Mikeguyver
    "Houston, we have a problem...." Your "160 lbs of stuff" is equal to my wife with her helmet and riding gear on. Geeee, that would be no fun hauling an empty trailer around. Riding 2-up. Presents an interesting dilemma, don't you think??????????????What a Spyder dealer told me over the weekend may be true. "The only thing a Spyder and the conventional trikes have in common is that they both have 3 wheels, and that's where the comparison ends".
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Default any trailer

There are many trailers out there and it all depends on what you want , I do not have a BRP trailer but would not be afraid to buy one except for the cost issue , there are better bangs for the buck out there if one does not have to have the matching ensemble thing going . We have over 6 K miles on these this summer .Spyders in the Redwoods 001.jpgtrailer 1.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 400 pound towing capacity is in addition to the load that you can put on the Bike... (ABOUT 500 pounds...)
    So; your Wife won't have to ride in the trailer!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    "Houston, we have a problem...." Your "160 lbs of stuff" is equal to my wife with her helmet and riding gear on. Geeee, that would be no fun hauling an empty trailer around. Riding 2-up. Presents an interesting dilemma, don't you think??????????????What a Spyder dealer told me over the weekend may be true. "The only thing a Spyder and the conventional trikes have in common is that they both have 3 wheels, and that's where the comparison ends".
    Mike

Unless you plan on putting your wife (with or without her helmet ) in the trailer don't count that as trailer weight.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default I had a Nomad for a year...

I'm trying to plan ahead. After the MB fiasco, I would like to ask the trailer experts here what other trailers are used on a ' 14RT?
    Thanks
    and loved it!

The only reason I sold it was because I got a great deal on a new 2013 BRP trailer that matches my bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Copperman; 09-15-2014 at 04:07 PM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default I THOUGHT I WAS TRYING TO HELP

Mike
    .....But I think for starters you should read your manual first ......particularly the towing section Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Default I think he's still on the...

.....But I think for starters you should read your manual first ......particularly the towing section Mikeguyver

fence (on buying a Spyder).
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default OK

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    fence (on buying a Spyder).
    .......When I stated the Max towing capacity was 400 lbs & the BRP trl weighs 240 lbs .....so the load could only be 160 lbs....did you think I was referring to putting His wife in the TRAILER ?????????....................I mean REALLY ...I needed to explain that !!!!!Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Default I knew what you meant.

.......When I stated the Max towing capacity was 400 lbs & the BRP trl weighs 240 lbs .....so the load could only be 160 lbs....did you think I was referring to putting His wife in the TRAILER ?????????....................I mean REALLY ...I needed to explain that !!!!!Mikeguyver

When I said I think he was still on the fence on buying a Spyder, I figured that told you he didn't have an owners manual.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default YEP

When I said I think he was still on the fence on buying a Spyder, I figured that told you he didn't have an owners manual.
    ....I don't have a problem with the understanding the English language .....so if He doesn't have a Spyder ....He doesn't have a manual.....But if I'm talking about trailer weight capacity !!!!!! why would He think I'm putting His wife in the TRAILER ...it really doesn't even have anything to do with Spyder ownership......Does it ????????????????.......Mikeguyver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Michael...
    If you keep yelling like that; Dee's gonna find you on the floor having a stroke...

Not everybody has had the same amount of experience with these bikes; it's a nice thing to give some of them a chance to learn...

WITHOUT SCREAMING AT THEM IN MULTIPLE COLORS, FONTS, AND FONT SIZES!!!!!

I think I pulled a muscle...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 09-15-2014 at 05:39 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

When it comes to a trailer behind a Spyder, just about anything that meets the max weight and tongue weight would work. I've got a Harbor Freight Tag a long that I used behind my GS, and now behind my RT. I put the LED lights on it, and a kick stand a friend made. It does what it's supposed to, that's all I'm looking for.

john

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

and loved it!

The only reason I sold it was because I got a great deal on a new 2013 BRP trailer that matches my bike.
    Hey, that's my trailer now!! Picked it up Sunday morning and it tows great behind my 14RTS.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Default Under $400

Spyder Garage

I have a Nomad from USA mini trailers. It holds more than the 622 and it pulls great. I even took it on the Saddlesore 1000 ride with me earlier in the week so we would have extra clothes, starbucks, water, etc
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default I'm glad you chimed in...

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Hey, that's my trailer now!! Picked it up Sunday morning and it tows great behind my 14RTS.

and I hope you like i as much as I did.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Pull behind cargo trailers

Check out The USA Trailer store.com
    They have several different sized trailers and cheaper than BRP with a 5 year warranty instead of BRP usual 2 year warranty. Ther lighter and can haul up to 500 pounds and they will give you a trailer cover in place of the swivel connector. Might be worth checking out, think next spring when I get ready to buy, it will be one of them. Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

I'm with you: function first, safety second, and style third!
    .....There have been numerous posts with " LINKS " to other trailer options, that IMHO make way more sense. Most other trailers are made from aluminum and have LED lights and are 100 lbs less than the 622...........think about this the Spyder is rated to tow 400 lbs.....The 622 weighs 240 lbs ( empty )..........that leaves only 160 lbs of stuff and you then at MAX......if you carry extra gas figure 7 lbs per gal.....if take a cooler ....add that + ICE ?........It adds up rapidly.........................I built mine , it weighs 100 lbs ...EMPTY,....COST ME ABOUT $125 Total......But there are always people who will wear their MINK coat in the summer to make a Fashion statement ...I'm not one of them ...........Mikeguyver ........MAYBE THOSE WHO KNOW WHERE AND HOW TO POST THE " LINKS " CAN HELP OUT HERE ? ? ?
    3:16

Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Michael...
    If you keep yelling like that; Dee's gonna find you on the floor having a stroke...

Not everybody has had the same amount of experience with these bikes; it's a nice thing to give some of them a chance to learn...

WITHOUT SCREAMING AT THEM IN MULTIPLE COLORS, FONTS, AND FONT SIZES!!!!! I think I pulled a muscle...
    ...Robert you don't get it either. I'm not talking about bikes ......I'm talking about trailers..........Michael!!!!!!!!!