Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Wheelchair accessible reverse trike

Crazy engineering on that bike and an amazing will from one man to get himself back on the road again. Here's to you, Tyler!

"Good day, I'm Tyler Deith from Canada, and here is my freshly built wheelchair accessible Harley reverse trike. After spending 10 years or more on my ass due to a mishap on a motorcycle, I've poured a decades worth of dreams and ideas into this one awesome trike. There is very little available commercially that fit my needs. First thing being that I need a fully accessible ride, which means no transferring in and out of my chair. It makes sense that when I get there, wherever "there" is, i'll need my chair there too. My research showed that two wheels up front is far more stable than two in the rear. The over all layout was done using masking tape on the floor. This lead to the making of a large I-beam jig that held the pieces in place and allowed me to rotate the assembly as it went together. The purchase of a tube bender, lathe, milling machine, mig welder and the help of a few excellent friends made the build possible. It is equipped with a 1990 80 C.I. Evolution, push button electric Pingel shifter and a Baker 5 speed with reverse. I can drive it right from my chair and it takes only seconds to wheel in and out. This is the only bike of its kind on the planet. Hope you dig it, -Tyler Deith."

I have no idea idea what happened to him last year...
    http://www.reynoldsfuneral.com/book-...iew-photos.php

Tyler Deith: Dropping in his Way,

For those of you who have not seen Tylers youtube video its something sweet. Check out this link as this was a snapshot of Tyler through the years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCcEdG5d1eI
    R.I.P.. Ty, Your best buddy Trev

Chas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChasCS; 09-14-2014 at 01:20 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ok, got it.

Apr 19, 2013 | Vote0 0
    Man who inspired disabled people dies in accident

INSPIRATIONAL
    Tyler Deith, seen here in this 2008 photo, sits in his solar-powered golf cart he designed and built. The 32-year-old was killed Tuesday in a single-motor vehicle accident.
    Huntsville Forester
    HUNTSVILLE - A man some in Huntsville looked upon as an inspiration has died.
    Huntsville OPP report that 32-year-old Tyler Deith was killed Tuesday afternoon, the result of a motor vehicle accident.
    Police report that a three-wheel motorcycle that Deith was riding was travelling on Macks Road when it flipped, causing the Huntsville man to crash into a tree.
    Emergency personnel were called to the scene just before 4 p.m., but Deith died as a result of his injuries. He was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, reports Huntsville OPP.
    Deith was confined to a wheelchair after he suffered from a T6-7 spinal fracture when he veered off the road on his motorcycle on Oct. 1, 2001, which left him paralyzed from the chest down. A native of Port Sydney and a graduate of Huntsville High School, he was never one to let his disability stand in the way of living his life the way he wanted.
    Wheelchair skateboarding, building electric-powered boats, go-carts, motorbikes and even a high-powered wheelchair is what Deith spent most of his time doing.
    He said in a 2008 interview that he found satisfaction in taking apart junk vehicles and using them for parts to make his own inventions.
    “It’s what I do,” said Deith of building one-of-a-kind creations. “It’s a big part of who I am … Being able to build things and tinker. I don’t have a job, so it’s like I’m retired … you can’t stop doing stuff. I’ll drive myself totally insane. It’s what I do. Every day is a new day. I do tend to sleep in… but that’s my thing.”
    One of his inventions was a solar-powered golf cart that travelled up to 80 kilometres per hour powered by a 15-horsepower motor on a 50-volt system. Aside from designing the golf cart, Deith also made a side-car mini bike and a hand bike complete with a motor on the back that went over 120 kilometres per hour. He made souped-up four-wheelers, Argos and he even tried his hand at making an amphibious golf cart, which he admitted “didn’t really turn out.”
    “I built an electric fishing boat,” said Deith, noting that the invention was a success. “I made it out of an old Sea-Doo body. It had electric steering and electric tilt. I’ve made some makeshift trikes, which have gotten me in a bit of trouble on the road and some attention from the OPP. There’s a whole bunch of little things I do.”
    Deith honed his mechanical skills at an early age. He started his own small engine business when he was around 14, and in 1999 he enrolled in Canadore College’s aircraft maintenance and engineering program.
    “I was one of the top in my class,” he said. “I enjoyed the mechanical stuff. Even as a kid, I always took stuff apart. I had two sisters growing up, so I’d take their stuff apart too. I’d get a remote-controlled truck for my birthday, take it apart and wouldn’t be able to put it back together. I was in the process of doing my apprenticeship at Muskoka Airport when I had my accident. I was four months into it.”
    A self-proclaimed adrenaline junkie, Deith said he gained satisfaction in activities that made his heart thump and his blood rush.
    But there was more to him that just speed and thrill-seeking. Others found his grit and determination inspiring.
    In 2005, Deith was invited to the University of Florida after some professors came across his website and contacted him in the hope that he would be able to attend a celebration of beauty and diversity held in honour of those who were disabled at the university.
    “They have a huge community of disabled people there,” said Deith, noting that around 50,000 students attend the university. “It’s a pretty huge place. I went with a couple of my buddies. I had to do two things when I was there. One was that I had to ride in the (university’s) skate park for about an hour. And the second thing I had to do was attend a ballroom event. There were about 600 people there. They didn’t tell me I had to get up and talk … but I did. And I got a standing ovation. But it was pretty intense.”
    “I went to California a year after that,” he said, noting the intention of the trip was to connect with other individuals who were into wheelchair skateboarding as well. “I had only spoken to one guy from San Jose who I met on the Internet and he told me he’d pick me up at the airport. Just out of good faith I thought, why not? So I got a ride to the Toronto airport. I ended up meeting two guys there and they were both wheelchair skaters. It was an experience for sure. I had some skate sessions with them at a Vans skate park. It has the world’s largest combi field, which is like a big bowl and goes down about 20 feet from the coping to the bottom. We hit up all kinds of parks and we were on the road a lot.”
    A post mortem was scheduled for April 17. The OPP’s Central Region Technical Traffic Collision Investigation Team attended Macks road to assist in the investigation.
    A memorial for Deith will be held Saturday, April 20, 1 p.m. at Port Sydney Community Hall.

Chas
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

What an amazing young man; too soon gone.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How many of us will be doing what we love to do; when the time comes?
    He met it on his own terms!
    ...albeit; way too soon...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Life sucks some times.

Yeah, well I am very saddened to learn of this young man's early demise, his ultimate end.
    Like he hadn't already suffered in life enough, then to go and perish way too early from a stupid trike accident. Sick to think of. Sorry for all that may have been involved.

He sure was a talented builder, with such a very creative mind, behind it.

Chas

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How many of us will be doing what we love to do; when the time comes?
    He met it on his own terms!
    ...albeit; way too soon...
    Me too. If anything happens to me while I am on the , just remember that I said I was happy and doing what I liked best.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's why I plan on getting shot in the back of the head; when I'm 90...

...By a jealous husband!

Spyder Garage

That's why I plan on getting shot in the back of the head; when I'm 90...

...By a jealous husband!
    Ouch! You naughty man!

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you gotta go...

...you might as well leave them with LOTS of memories; including a bunch that you can't talk about in mixed company!

Spyder Garage

Default Goes to show

​Goes to show that "Whatever the mind can conceive, the mind can achieve"....I've lived it and see that this young man did as well...RIP

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

And obviously folks who've never heard of or met Seth O or the guy from the Netherlands, both of whom have Wheelchair accessible Spyders even.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This bike was different: his wheelchair rolled up into it, and he piloted it from the chair.
    SethO and the other fella carry their chairs on the backs of their bikes...
    It was just a bit more of an integrated setup.
    Unfortunately: he died while riding it.

EDIT: You mentioned the Netherlands...
    I was thinking of this fella from Norway...

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...n-Am-Spyder-RS

Spyder Garage

This bike was different: his wheelchair rolled up into it, and he piloted it from the chair.
    SethO and the other fella carry their chairs on the backs of their bikes...
    It was just a bit more of an integrated setup.
    Unfortunately: he died while riding it.

EDIT: You mentioned the Netherlands...
    I was thinking of this fella from Norway...

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...n-Am-Spyder-RS
    Thanks for the update.

2020 F3L , Magma Red