Spyder Garage

Default Looking for suggestions of what communication device to purchase.

Hello Everybody,
    Been quite a while since I have been on the site. I hope everyone is doing well. Keeping it shiny side up.
    My buddy and I are wanting to get some sort of communication device to use while we are cruising. I do not need anything extravagant. Just something that is hands free. 2 or more riders. something i can wear with a half helmet and a full face helmet. Any idea's or suggestions of what you are currently using or what not to purchase? Thanks everybody. Jerry
    Last edited by COOLMACHINE; 09-10-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: mispell

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah..!!

the two most mentioned here are the Scala G9's and the Sena's (we have a sponor for the sena's). I have the Scala G9 and have the options of FM radio (built in) intercom, gps, phone, mp3 and pairing up to 8other ryders with the same system. Works great but can't speak for all the others...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default SCALA G9

I USE THE SCALA G9.... VERY GOOD PIECE OF EQUIPMENT, BUT EXPENSIVE....

YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK @ THE
    CYCLE GEAR WEBSITE http://www.cyclegear.com/?gclid=CO6Y...FSbl7AodiyIAYA THEY HAVE TONS OF STUFF THAT MAY INTEREST YOU...
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

I use the SMH10 and it works great. I chose it for the ergonomics. No little buttons, just a phone button (that you don't really need) and a large knob that controls the volume by rotation and envy thing else by pressing it. Dead easy, especially with winter gloves. Oh, and you don't need the phone button as you just need to say 'hello' to answer a call and, usually at least, the other person hangs up first. If not, you just hit the button.

You can buy a second set of earphones/mike depending on the helmet type and just swap the main unit over...quick and easy. They have a boom mike as standard and a stick-on one is available for full face ones if you prefer.

Spyder Garage

Another vote for SenaSMH10. Now we are even. Have used Cardo and tried some other brands.

The Sena is less noisy compared to the Cardo. The Sena channel can be left open without any residual noise and does not need voice or noise activation to communicate. The 10's will give two to three blocks communication. I don't need the "one mile" distance advertised on some of the more advanced units.

Both units will attach to most full face or open face helmets. Not tried by me on half helmet. My current mounts are Nolan N43 and Nolan N44. (PS--I do not like the Nolan N-com--I sent them back).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

SENA, SENA, SENA SMH10 OR 20S very reliable, good quality sound, excellent features
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default Communication devices

I had Scala rider for years and got tired of losing communication with my passenger.....
    Went to Sena10H - great!!! Much better than Scala rider. Can't speak for the other brands.
    I like the voice instructions/notifications from Sena.

Also, should you want down the road, Sena allows you to put XM radio through to your helmets via Dongle hook up.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks everyone!

Well thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. Great people here. Thanks again. Jerry

Spyder Garage

Another vote for the SENA SMH10 - had the Scala and experienced the same loss of communication with my passenger. The SENA are flawless and clear at even highway speeds!
    ​Jeff

2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze (aka "The Bronze Beauty")
    Ultimate faux crocodile seat, backrest , and armrests in cognac-/black, Luggage nets, luggage, drink holders, top mirror, shorty antenna, SENA SMH10 headsets and SMR10 dongle, Garmin 665lm, Tri-pouch, Trunk mount flag poles, Custom Dynamics vent covers, Show Crome Luggage Rack, custom mud flap, Full Size Brake Pedal, Tricled mirror turn signals, LED strips on rear of front fenders, custom highway pegs, BakerBuilt Air Wings w/ Uppers
    2012 RT Limited , Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I've had both and Sena is my favorite. I've put a boom mic on my 3/4 helmet and a wired mic with earbud out put on my FF. software upgradable so I'm not planning to replace it anytime soon.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I own G4 G9 and Sena S20. I have given them all a work out and by far it has to be the Sena, I got sick to death of the disconnections. Sound quality and loudness of the Sena is second to none.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I handle both

Hi Dave here
    I am a blue tooth dist. out west I handle several brands of helmet communications
    equipment all the ones you know and love... hahahah
    of them all I sell about 10 to one of the SENA units they just work, period......
    no BS just good performance, quality, and price.
    Give me a call most anytime but please remember..... I am in the pacific time zone
    Dave

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi Dave here
    I am a blue tooth dist. out west I handle several brands of helmet communications
    equipment all the ones you know and love... hahahah
    I think what we need is a BT dongle to plug into the intercom circuit that will handle stereo audio and two-way communication for CB. Do you know of any BT equipment that can be used to accomplish this? If there's a BT dongle and headset combo that would do this then we could work on the signal interface and compatibility to the intercom harness.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

recently got my sena 10 from daves, tuned & installed in my full helmet yesterday, tomorrow my wife & i go for a long ride so i will see how good & easy it is to use.
    i had gotten a cheaper one from my dealer when i picked up my bike, it sukked, sena is more expensive but i have
    been told it is well worth the money.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SENA

SENA SM10 and the SENA SR10 with the push to talk button

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I think what we need is a BT dongle to plug into the intercom circuit that will handle stereo audio and two-way communication for CB. Do you know of any BT equipment that can be used to accomplish this? If there's a BT dongle and headset combo that would do this then we could work on the signal interface and compatibility to the intercom harness.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    SENA SM10 and the SENA SR10 with the push to talk button
    The SR10 uses a handheld CB. I'm suggesting there needs to be BT dongle that will use the factory CB. Goldwing users would like to have the same capability also.

Are there no BT dongles, receivers, or adapters, that will support both stereo audio streaming, A2DP, and mono two way, HFP, communication? Headsets, e.g. the S20 do.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The SR10 uses a handheld CB. I'm suggesting there needs to be BT dongle that will use the factory CB. Goldwing users would like to have the same capability also.

Are there no BT dongles, receivers, or adapters, that will support both stereo audio streaming, A2DP, and mono two way, HFP, communication? Headsets, e.g. the S20 do.

I have a Sena 20s... and I LOVE it. A bit on the pricey side but of all the BT units I researched, this one paired nicest with the iphone and did everything I needed it to do. There's a LOT of functions with the 20s... so be prepared to read and experiment.

With the BT dongle, I can hook up my midland radio to the 20s and toggle between that, phone and Intercom. I'm not sure about the factory installed CB though... sorry.

Spyder Garage

with the Sena S20. I have the dual headset and they worked great on a 2000 mile trip recently. The have a lot of features but using the iphone app makes it easy to pair and configure them.

I purchased them from Motorcycle Dave.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

+1 on the Sena 20 s. ...great unit.
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Bought the Sena SMH10-11

Thanks again everyone,
    My buddy actually purchased the Sena SMH10-11, and we split the cost of the pair. Used it the weekend before last and really like it. It is also a really nice thing to have when you have a new rider. You can tell them and show them things while you are riding together. I may purchase another set for both my helmets but if i do purchase another set, I will be purchasing it from Spyderlovers vendor Motorcycledave. By the time I saw and asked dave about the set he was selling, my buddy had already purchased a set on line. Thanks again. Jerry