Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Replacement tire forf 165/55R15

Has anyone replaced the original 165/55R15 Kenda front tires on their 2014 RT with another tire and size? A car tire will work, if I could find the right size. Thank you.
    2015 RT LTD , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Federal has one...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gl1800 View Post
    Has anyone replaced the original 165/55R15 Kenda front tires on their 2014 RT with another tire and size? A car tire will work, if I could find the right size. Thank you.

I just ordered a set of Federal EVO 595 165/55R15 today...

I made this decision after talking (PM) to several SL members that are using them...

Mine won't be installed until I get my front wheels painted to match this winter...

I purchased mine from; http://www.performanceplustire.com/p...65_SLASH_55-15

Spyder Garage

The Federal EVO 595 is a "drifter" tire with very stiff sidewalls. Not really a good tire design or construction match for a Spyder. The only good thing about it is the exact 165/55-15 size match. I would be very careful using the Federal in the rain.

Your better options IMO would be the Kumho Solus KH16 in the 175/55-15 size or 155/60-15 size. The 175 is 10mm wider and only +2.0% larger diameter, where the 155 is 10mm narrower and only +0.9 larger diameter. Has AA traction and A temperature rating. Should be a far better match in terms of tire construction, traction and tread design for wet conditions.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are a couple of 155/65-15s available that would be MORE than close enough to the OEM sizing.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I was out looking to replace the Kenda tires though they have only 3200 miles. I just want something with better performance in those nightmare turns. I went to Bridgestone dealers and they have no performance tires thoush they do have a Drive Guard which I don't know about. Federal dealers said they have NO tire in the 155/55R15 size. I did find one web site that reported they had that size in the Federal tires $69. I don't think you can buy a decent performance tire for that price. I talked to the Michelin dealers, no tire that size. Three strikes out today.

I saw a post of stating that a Kumho in 175/55 was available. I also read a post someone said that a 185/55 would'nt fit the wheel cover. The 175 is 10mm wider. Anybody with real world experience with this size tire?

My goal is better performance in the curvy parts of the road. I have Bajaron Swaybar, and will soon have Elka 1+ shocks. Tires is all that's left of that performance combo.

It is said the RT won't turn over, but I'm not convinced just yet. Or that yellow streak makes too bright a light for some folks...

Spyder Garage

Continental ContiProContact 155-60/R15.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gl1800 View Post
    I've been running Bridgestone Potenzas in that size for about 5,000 miles now with no problems. Both fronts cost the same as ONE OEM tire.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I've been running Bridgestone Potenzas in that size for about 5,000 miles now with no problems. Both fronts cost the same as ONE OEM tire.
    I went to the Bridgestone tire dealer today and he threw me out the door when I insisted there was a Potenza tire size 165/55R15. OK maybe not but they WERE insistent that it does not exist. I'm confused. That would be my preferred tire. After Michelin. Which also does not make that size tire.

Where is your tire dealer? I'd like to ask him.

Spyder Garage

Default About 3,000 miles ago I installed

a set of Federal EVO 595 165/55R15 front tires prior to a trip.

We rode two up and fully loaded. The Spyder only had 8800 miles on it at the time and although laser aligned and pressure kept equal at 19 the Kendas were cupping terribly and had weights a quarter the way around the rim. I argued with the dealer they were defective to no avail, so I opted for the Federals.

We rode on a variety of roads and pavement types, in heavy and light rain as well as varying temps.

I dislike the Federals immensely for our Spyder RT...

The Spyder now wanders on grooved concrete, tar strips, and on painted lines like never before.

Rain performance was ok at best.

Hard cornering feels near the same.

I with a digital gauge varied pressure from 15 to 17 to 19 to 21 and 23 during the trip and noticed little difference.

My wife whom has ridden 20,000 + on the back of a Spyder asked me on several occasions what was wrong as she felt like we were geting jerked back and forth.

I will be going back to Kendas on the front soon, and hope they dont cup like hell again and need weights that encompass a quarter of the inside wheel to balance.

On a side note, at 29 psi the new S Drive on the rear is wonderful, just hope it lasts longer than the rear Kenda did.

I know some love the Federals, but this has been our experience...
    Lets ride!!!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    My goal is better performance in the curvy parts of the road. I have Bajaron Swaybar, and will soon have Elka 1+ shocks. Tires is all that's left of that performance combo.
    Better performance in what respect? In my experience the Kendas hold the road all the way to the point where Nanny kicks in so I don't see where a different tire will make a difference. In fact, if you go with a harder tire you're more likely to start sliding the tires in a corner in which case Nanny will kick in instantly. At least that's the way I see it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I went to the Bridgestone tire dealer today and he threw me out the door when I insisted there was a Potenza tire size 165/55R15. OK maybe not but they WERE insistent that it does not exist. I'm confused. That would be my preferred tire. After Michelin. Which also does not make that size tire.

My error. My '12 has 14" tires. Sorry.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1VENOM View Post
    Your best buy for replacement tires, at a low cost would be something like this designed for the spyder. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...FUlqfgodqtUHHg
    Vee rubber does not make a front tire for 2013 or later models. That is the size talked about in this thread.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Here is a new all season tire that recently hit the market. It can be had for $98 + shipping. Anybody got the nerve to try it?
    http://www.kumhotire.ca/fr/about/company_news/207

Kumho also make a Solus that has a nice tread. Priced them today at Walmart who said they could order for $89 which includes mounting and balancing. Not sure I'd want them to balance but otherwise their price is very competitive, or better, than Tire Rack.

I'd sure like to know for a fact that a 175-55-15 would fit under the fenders of the '14 RT SE...the ones with the ridge. I've been told they fit the smooth fenders so I'm guessing they would, but not willing to shuck out over $200 and find they don't.........
    Last edited by ulflyer; 07-30-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    The Federal EVO 595 is a "drifter" tire with very stiff sidewalls. Not really a good tire design or construction match for a Spyder. The only good thing about it is the exact 165/55-15 size match. I would be very careful using the Federal in the rain.

Your better options IMO would be the Kumho Solus KH16 in the 175/55-15 size or 155/60-15 size. The 175 is 10mm wider and only +2.0% larger diameter, where the 155 is 10mm narrower and only +0.9 larger diameter. Has AA traction and A temperature rating. Should be a far better match in terms of tire construction, traction and tread design for wet conditions.
    My Federal Evo 595s on the front of my RT have 28000 miles on them already - handle great and show very little sign of wear - I have ridden in rain and storms that most people would not consider - so I have to take issue with your assessment unless you have really ridden the tire like I have....
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Here is a new all season tire that recently hit the market. It can be had for $98 + shipping. Anybody got the nerve to try it?
    http://www.kumhotire.ca/fr/about/company_news/207

Kumho also make a Solus that has a nice tread. Priced them today at Walmart who said they could order for $89 which includes mounting and balancing. Not sure I'd want them to balance but otherwise their price is very competitive, or better, than Tire Rack.

I'd sure like to know for a fact that a 175-55-15 would fit under the fenders of the '14 RT SE...the ones with the ridge. I've been told they fit the smooth fenders so I'm guessing they would, but not willing to shuck out over $200 and find they don't.........
    According to the story that new Kumho is for the Canadian market.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

A little more info please, since Potenza comes in about 15 different models

TIA

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    According to the story that new Kumho is for the Canadian market.
    I guess I read it that it was developed initially for the Canadian market but this company will ship anywhere. Two to my neck of the woods would be about $225 US. However, what do you think about them? Might they be good on the Can Am? Would love to hear from some of our Canadian friends.

https://1010tires.com/Tires/Kumho/Solus+HA31

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Vee rubber does not make a front tire for 2013 or later models. That is the size talked about in this thread.
    I believe they are making front tires now. Go to Rolo sight

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FEDERAL EVO TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    My Federal Evo 595s on the front of my RT have 28000 miles on them already - handle great and show very little sign of wear - I have ridden in rain and storms that most people would not consider - so I have to take issue with your assessment unless you have really ridden the tire like I have....
    Dear Sir : IMHO " Sledmaster " has probably forgotten more about Spyders than you will ever hope to know......and if you have NOT read Post # 10 above I suggest you do............The people who are into " DRIFTING " are picking this tire for a reason, and I don't think it's for TRACTION......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    should be out in August 1st I heard..V35003 part number

Spyder Garage

They have that size listed on UK tire sites, but not on U.S. sites!!!

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Good to know they just started making them available. Another option.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    should be out in August 1st I heard..V35003 part number

Does anyone know what the specs are for this tire?
    Its almost too cheap.
    They tell you nothing on the site, just that its made for the Can Am.
    Where is it made? What is the wear rating? What is the composition...nylon belts, steel belts, what?

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)