Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Pain in my hands..

I've own my Spyder for about 6mths and I am experiencing a lot of pain in my hands. This happens when I ride at a speed of 70mph or higher. My hands go numb and the throbbing is very painful. I changed my handgrips but that didnt help. Any suggestions!!

Spyder Garage

Do you have an RS, ST or RT? If it's an RS, you could be leaning too far forward and putting lots of pressure on your wrists/palms. If that's the case, risers can help significantly. The other thing is gripping the handlebars too tightly could cause your pain.

If you notice the pain only at higher speeds, it may be possible that you are out of alignment and have to wrestle your handlebars to keep your Spyder on track. A ROLO laser alignment may be in order if you have not already had it done. Also, you may check your belt tension as it will vibrate if too tight.

i hope you find an answer and solution soon.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

Sounds to me like you are squeezing the hand grips too tight. Try to loosen up. When my hands start feeling a little numb I open my fingers and wiggle them keeping throttle pushed between my thumb and the joint where it meets my hand. You could also look into a cramp buster throttle control.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

If you are traveling at these higher speeds are you highway riding? If so you are maintaining a fairly constant speed and hand position on the bars. If the pain and numbness is in your thumb, index and middle fingers it could be carpal tunnel inflammation. When driving around town you are moving your hands, and wrists and the pain may not present itself. The pain may feel like your hands are burning and/or numb, and it may even run up your forearm and make your elbow ache. Other nerves can be affected in your wrists by the positioning of your hands while you ride. It might be a good idea to have a nerve conductivity test to see if you have nerve damage.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyj View Post
    I've own my Spyder for about 6mths and I am experiencing a lot of pain in my hands. This happens when I ride at a speed of 70mph or higher. My hands go numb and the throbbing is very painful. I changed my handgrips but that didnt help. Any suggestions!!
    Don't hold it so tight......use cruise control more and relax your hands open on top of the bars
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Try not griping the handle bars so hard and or go 69 mph

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    Don't hold it so tight......use cruise control more and relax your hands open on top of the bars
    definately learn to to use your cruise control more as Doc says and relax. Do you have any experience riding any other motorcycles. If this is your first you may have a longer learning curve. Give yourself time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyj View Post
    Hi,
    Try using these wide cramp busters, with your palm resting on it, takes off a lot of pressure from holding on to grips.
    I have used these for years on my motorcycles and now 3 different RT Spyders.
    I also use Grip Puppies foam grips slipped over top of stock grips.
    http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=76265
    Hope this helps you.
    Jim
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-cruise-assist
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 09-07-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Grip..!!

Start with the grip. If you are ryding outside your comfort zone you tend to tighten your grip. No need, relax these machine do track well hold on but don't clamp down. If not the case it may be the ryding position as mentioned....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Grip Puppies and gel palm gloves help. I do not grip my handles I just rest my hands on them unless I am turning. I use cruise as much as possible it IS your friend. I have had both hands surgically repaired for carpal tunnel. The Spyder properly ridden is the easiest on the hands ride I ever had.
    Last edited by Magdave; 09-07-2014 at 11:22 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Grip Puppies and gel palm gloves help. I do not grip my handles I just rest my hands on them unless I am turning. I use cruise as much as possible it IS your friend. I have had both hands surgically repaired for carpal tunnel. The Spyder properly ridden is the easiest on the hands ride I ever had.
    x 2.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red