Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default So, I'm Wondering ....

It seems that sometimes we take it for granted that the BRP engineers are idiots and don't know what we know. Take, for instance, their recommendation for oil. Their Summer Blend is a 10W-40 oil. Their engineers cannot help but know that such an oil will shear/dilute down to 10W-30. And yet, they recommend an oil change interval that is bound to result in oil that is outside of the 'normal' range for a 10W-40 oil. Is it possible that they make this recommendation knowing that a 10W-30 effective viscosity will provide adequate protection?

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    You can go to NAPA or O'reilly and get a Wix kit or online and order one. Costs about $20 or so and you only pay postage when you mail it in. Wix uses ALS Labs, a large major outfit, and thats the one I've been using for several years.
    Put the sample in a brown envelope to avoid PO telling you you can't send it. I've started using a PO where you can do your own weighting, paying, and stamping. Avoids any problems with PO personel. Its not against regs to mail oil, but a lot of PO folks don't know and you can't argue with them. Will be really interested to see how BRP oil pans out as I've never seen a test done on it.
    Count on it when I get back! The used BRP oil is setting on the shelf in a clean container. We have an account with Napa I'll send it off when we get back in about a week! TY!

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    It seems that sometimes we take it for granted that the BRP engineers are idiots and don't know what we know. Take, for instance, their recommendation for oil. Their Summer Blend is a 10W-40 oil. Their engineers cannot help but know that such an oil will shear/dilute down to 10W-30. And yet, they recommend an oil change interval that is bound to result in oil that is outside of the 'normal' range for a 10W-40 oil. Is it possible that they make this recommendation knowing that a 10W-30 effective viscosity will provide adequate protection?
    I know that car manufacturers recommend longer oil change intervals. Of course, they are in the business of selling vehicles. In BRP's case, not only does that oil protect the engine, but the transmission as well, so who knows? One thing for sure, they are in the business of selling products, either for replacement or repair.